PDA

View Full Version : Killer Whale Kills Sea World Trainer

glassmaster
02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
"A killer whale grabbed his female trainer before a “Dine With Shamu” performance and thrashed her around in his mouth, killing her at the scene. The whale involved is reportedly named Tilly and has a history of acting out."

Anyone seen any video on this or know what really happened?

flipper
02-25-2010, 09:08 AM
The whale was brought in from the wild and used mainly for breeding. Yes he had a history of "acting out" It's a friggin wild animal. That's what happens when you take a wild animal, put it in a little fish tank, and jump in with it. I don't get why everybody (mainly news reporters) act like it's such a huge deal. To me, if you take a wild animal bigger than you, put it in a cage or tank, and jump in with the friggin thing, you should know things might go wrong. They act like it's the whales fault. The whale didn't ask to be taken from a huge ocean and be put in a fish tank. People crack me up

TMCNo1
02-25-2010, 09:16 AM
I also bet half of the people defending the KILLER whale, also have pit bulls that their infants play with too!:rolleyes:

ski/hunt
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
They are named KILLER WHALE not, " tame little fishey". Born captive debatable...? Taken wild to captive.....no brainer to me, humans always to blame. Only thing sad here is seeing that giant in a "tank" (who wouldn't act out!)

glassmaster
02-25-2010, 09:52 AM
The whale was brought in from the wild and used mainly for breeding. Yes he had a history of "acting out" It's a friggin wild animal. That's what happens when you take a wild animal, put it in a little fish tank, and jump in with it. I don't get why everybody (mainly news reporters) act like it's such a huge deal. To me, if you take a wild animal bigger than you, put it in a cage or tank, and jump in with the friggin thing, you should know things might go wrong. They act like it's the whales fault. The whale didn't ask to be taken from a huge ocean and be put in a fish tank. People crack me up

They are named KILLER WHALE not, " tame little fishey". Born captive debatable...? Taken wild to captive.....no brainer to me, humans always to blame. Only thing sad here is seeing that giant in a "tank" (who wouldn't act out!)

I couldn't agree more. If you play with fire you will get burned eventually.
Definitely not the whales fault. I'm sure it would prefer not being in a tank.

Finnsdad
02-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Let's not forget that someone died here. Someones daughter, wife, mom.

mbeach
02-25-2010, 10:18 AM
account i heard this morning is that sea world florida got this varmit from canada who got rid of it for much the same reason, attacks. was brought to sea world for breeding purposes. if it were a dog, bear, etc, it would have been put down by now, especially after first offense.

scott023
02-25-2010, 10:19 AM
I also bet half of the people defending the KILLER whale, also have pit bulls that their infants play with too!:rolleyes:

You've got to be kidding Harold. That's a far stretch for comparison. Seems like a really ignorant thing to say. And no, I don't have a pit bull.

flipper
02-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Let's not forget that someone died here. Someones daughter, wife, mom.
Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad for the family, and it is sad that a person died. In the same breath, it's a risk. It's like somebody jumping out of a plane and getting killed. It sucks, it's sad, but it's a know risk if you jump out of a plane it may be the last thing you do.

Hollywood
02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Tilly 1 : Dawn 0

TMCNo1
02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
You've got to be kidding Harold. That's a far stretch for comparison. Seems like a really ignorant thing to say. And no, I don't have a pit bull.

Makes perfect sense, and we in this country are all ignorant for taking the Killer Whale from Canada in the first place after being involved in another death there in 1991 and a death later at SeaWorld in 1999.

A SeaWorld spokesman said Tilikum was one of three orcas blamed for killing a trainer in 1991 after the woman lost her balance and fell in the pool at Sealand of the Pacific near Victoria, British Columbia. Steve Huxter, who was head of Sealand's animal care and training department then, said Wednesday he's surprised it happened again. He says Tilikum was a well-behaved, balanced animal.
Tilikum was also involved in a 1999 death, when the body of a man who had sneaked by SeaWorld security was found draped over him. The man either jumped, fell or was pulled into the frigid water and died of hypothermia, though he was also bruised and scratched by Tilikum.

Hollywood
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
we in this country are all ignorant for taking the Killer Whale.

Stop right there.

mpm32
02-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Not sure how I feel about the captive whales.

The trainers do know the risks just as F1, nascar, skydivers, shortline skiers, barefooters know the risks of the things we participate in.

I do think that the animals in captivity do raise awareness to the issues facing those in the wild. People see the animals up close and create a connection and maybe do something to preserve those in the wild. The captive ones are like ambassadors.

On the other hand I do feel bad for the ones in captivity while at the same time appreciate that I can see them up close.

tex
02-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Her husband, Scott Brancheau was was a former Sea World skier. He lived with one of my buddies for 4 summers when they skied together. Please keep Scott and their family in your prayers!

tex
02-25-2010, 03:34 PM
http://www.wesh.com/video/22671481/index.html/index.html

helton333
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Chris Rock said about the Tiger that mamed the Siegfried and Freud handler, "That tiger, went Tiger on him."

sad, but that sums it up.

H20skeefreek
02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I'd let my kids play with and Orca before I'd let them play with a pit bull.

TX.X-30 fan
02-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Sad but not unexpected as many have said. I never get these folks that have wild animals as pets and sea world is no better. They do it for money don't give me the sea world research crap line.

Jorski
02-25-2010, 08:37 PM
and we in this country are all ignorant for taking the Killer Whale from Canada in the first place

Obviously it happened because of our failed Canadian social policies and our morally bankrupt medical system!;)

TX.X-30 fan
02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Obviously it happened because of our failed Canadian social policies and our morally bankrupt medical system!;)

Damn your coming around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

TX.X-30 fan
02-25-2010, 08:42 PM

Hey I heard a premiere was in florida on a "vacation"????????? :D

TayMC197
02-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Darn Right it did!!! lol :D

Seriously, she was swimming with a KILLER whale BEFORE feeding time.... Sad for her lose and her family but I would of waited till after dinner...

TX.X-30 fan
02-25-2010, 09:15 PM
She was not in the water, it grabbed her off the pool edge by her hair.

markismm
02-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I woulda dropped an elbow on that whale's nose followed by a arm bar (in this case a flipper bar) and finished up with a judo throw of some sort. Finally, I woulda eaten sushi that night.

DooSPX
02-25-2010, 10:00 PM

I 100% agree with you!!!!!!!!!
It is NOT the whales fault....
if some one put you in a tank from your home, and made you do tricks, you will flip one day too.

DooSPX
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Harold, that was a lame comparison... Have you ever owned a american pit bull terrier?
they are one of the most loyal breeds and one of the best with children.
do some real research like you do for the boats before you make a completely false comment.
APBT's who attack had reasons.... and btw, most supposed pit attacks are NOT true pits, there are MANY breeds that LOOK like pits who have a horrible temper, BUT the media always says pit bulls... there are LOTS that look so much like pits. well trained pits have a better temper than my parents lab, and she is a sweet dog... only if you raise them with other animals and people. pits are so loyal that they will defend the family and house, so you need to raise them with lots of people, other dogs, and take them on trips so they dont go over board of the protection thing. if you never took the APBT anywhere but the vet, and never let it play with other dogs or people, those things will be a threat to them and their home and the family. any book, breeder or trainer will tell you that. I have an idea, go talk to a dog trainer in your area, and they will tell you the same thing. and no, they are not that hard to train...
I have had labs, standard poodles, mutts, dobermans and shepard as well.

please do research before you make such a comment again...

btw, pits are chosen for fighting because the are the strongest dog for their size. you can take a lab and train it to fight....
its amazing that people never do research on a topic that they are not up on...

TX.X-30 fan
02-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Sadly the breed has been ruined by ignorant people over time, but it does not change the fact that the breed is ruined forever.

DooSPX
02-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Sadly the breed has been ruined by ignorant people over time, but it does not change the fact that the breed is ruined forever.

WOW, TX...
VERY true... im surprised I agree and like a comment you have made in a long time... :D:D j/k

h2oskifreak
02-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Free Willy. Free at last, free at last. Let him go before he calls his friends the "flying sharks", then we're all screwed.

ski_king
02-26-2010, 01:47 AM
http://www.wesh.com/video/22671481/index.html/index.html

In that video that was claimed to have been taken seconds before her death, you can tell she loved her work. Check out the very end of the video, about 6:40 into it.

Her husband, Scott Brancheau was was a former Sea World skier. He lived with one of my buddies for 4 summers when they skied together. Please keep Scott and their family in your prayers!
My prayer go out for Scott and the rest of her family.

TX.X-30 fan
02-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Why don't they haul him out to sea and dump the big fish overboard.

Hollywood
02-26-2010, 11:45 AM
In that video that was claimed to have been taken seconds before her death, you can tell she loved her work.

I wonder what she thought of her work while being held underwater fighting for her life.

bigmac
02-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Mammal.

/

east tx skier
02-26-2010, 11:53 AM

I thought this was about a whale?

flipper
02-26-2010, 12:42 PM
That would be a whale of a time

TX.X-30 fan
02-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Mammal..................................... I bet it smells just like a fish though. Dump the "Mammal"

scott023
02-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I wonder what she thought of her work while being held underwater fighting for her life.

Seems like a really odd question.

scott023
02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Mammal.

/

Good point out Jacques Cousteau. :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Good point out Jacques Cousteau. :rolleyes:

It was prejudicial, playing on time honered stereotypical opinions that southerners are somehow not as smart as those north of the Mason Dixon line..... :mad::mad:

//

scott023
02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
It was prejudicial, playing on time honered stereotypical opinions that southerners are somehow not as smart as those north of the Mason Dixon line..... :mad::mad:

//

Holy lick, that was a mouthful.

That's what she said. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2010, 04:11 PM

//

Stereotype my eye! :D :D

bigmac
02-26-2010, 04:51 PM

You're saying that's a stereotype?

scott023
02-26-2010, 04:56 PM

That's what you got out of that post? :rolleyes: don't know why.:D

TX.X-30 fan
02-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Stereotype my eye! :D :D

That was too easy huh??:D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Served up on a silver platter. I almost feel guilty for participating. :rolleyes:

Clearly the stereotype isn't true if you followed the poll on who owns Mastercrafts. Lots of them south of the line.

glassmaster
02-26-2010, 06:15 PM
I am surprised out of all of the people the have video cameras that visit Sea World that no one has video of it actually happening.

Jim@BAWS
02-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I am surprised out of all of the people the have video cameras that visit Sea World that no one has video of it actually happening.

There has been video. It has been removed. Why in the world would you want to track that down and watch it?

Jim@BAWS

bigmac
02-26-2010, 06:27 PM

'preciate it....

glassmaster
02-26-2010, 06:49 PM
There has been video. It has been removed. Why in the world would you want to track that down and watch it?

Jim@BAWS

I don't necessarily, I just think it would put to rest what actually happened and end all of the different versions of the story.
I have read several different versions.
It is a shame that everything these days is kept concealed or fabricated by the media or officials for the sake of saving face or some other reason than just telling the truth.

bigmac
02-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't know. The media has clearly demonstrated their desire to try this whole case themselves. Keeping any acquired video under wraps between OSHA and whatever other official entity is investigating seems extremely prudent.

trickskier
02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't know. The media has clearly demonstrated their desire to try this whole case themselves. Keeping any acquired video under wraps between OSHA and whatever other official entity is investigating seems extremely prudent.

Give me one example where they haven't tried a case themselves.........................

atlfootr
02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Now if this isn't stereotyping, what is? :rolleyes:
WRONG AGAIN !
I do defend the side of the killer whale, but I have a Rottweiler not a pit and yes I let my grand son play w/ him too.