PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Nut Socket Size

mrprostar
02-23-2010, 01:57 PM
What size socket do I need for the drive shaft nut holding the flange on the transmission side? 1 1/8"? 1 1/4"?

Skipper
02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I think the smaller size is for the 1 inch shaft, the larger, for the 1 - 1/8 inch shaft. But a short call to SKIDIM will fix you up for sure.

JLeuck64
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Don't those Hurth trannys have a unique nut holding the output flange? My 98 looked like it would need a special socket with four lugs to remove it, sort of like a spanner nut...

jraben8
02-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I have one of those "special sockets" for a Hurth transmission that I'm willing to part with... PM me for details.

JimN
02-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I made all of mine, using various sizes of short sockets, I cut them short and ground the edge so it was smooth and square to the end. I always needed one before I could get the owners to buy one, so it ended up costing them, anyway. I also ground a flat on two places with their faces parallel, so I could use a 1-1/4" open-end wrench.

JLeuck64
02-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Not the greatest pic, but if you look close you can just make out the square shaped pockets at 12o'clock and 3o'clock on the flange nut. JimN is absolutely correct, a resourceful fella could easily fab up his own socket using some square stock pieces welded to the outside of a socket...

JimN
02-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Not the greatest pic, but if you look close you can just make out the square shaped pockets at 12o'clock and 3o'clock on the flange nut. JimN is absolutely correct, a resourceful fella could easily fab up his own socket using some square stock pieces welded to the outside of a socket...

1/4"-3/8" x 1"flat would be a better choice. The minimal thickness would keep it from taking up a lot of space and the width helps it resist bending because the thickness to width ratio is low.