PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done this?

ahhudgins
02-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm a self taught barefooter, just wake crossings, one foots, tumble turns, and working on backwards. It seems that no matter where I go, if I mention barefooting, everyone has barefooted at some point in their life. And of course I think to myself "Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, sure you did". Years ago I found an 87 Powerslot that was left to waste away behind a used car lot. I bought the boat and I was talking to the fat, toothless, cigar smoking salesman, and when I mentioned what a good foot'n boat it was, he said "We used to barefoot all the time, and when the water got cold, we just stepped off the back of the boat and foot'd in the exhaust where it's warm". I thought "Riiiiiiiiiiight, sure you did". I'm a pretty good footer but I wouldn't have the balls to attempt that, plus I know the water isn't going to be that much warmer ha ha. This the first video I've ever seen of someone actually doing it, and I definitely know that I don't have the nads to try it.
http://www.eaglewetsuits.com/videos/therundown.wmv

atlfootr
02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Get yourself an Eagle suit and you could probably do that too :D

ahhudgins
02-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I've got one, doesn't help. I told my wife I must need a NEW ONE!:D
Forgot to mention, it's about 1:40 into the video.

j2nh
02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Yup, learned to back barefoot in 88 behind my 87 PS 190 off the platform. Nobody to teach us so we cinched the handle up to the rear lifting eye, laid face down in the water with feet on the edge of the platform and gave it a go. The thing I remember the most is how hot the water was on your legs when the boat accelerated. Never even considered CO poisoning, guess we were lucky. Being older and wiser wouldn't do it again or let anyone else do it either.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-22-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm a self taught barefooter, just wake crossings, one foots, tumble turns, and working on backwards. It seems that no matter where I go, if I mention barefooting, everyone has barefooted at some point in their life. And of course I think to myself "Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, sure you did". Years ago I found an 87 Powerslot that was left to waste away behind a used car lot. I bought the boat and I was talking to the fat, toothless, cigar smoking salesman, and when I mentioned what a good foot'n boat it was, he said "We used to barefoot all the time, and when the water got cold, we just stepped off the back of the boat and foot'd in the exhaust where it's warm". I thought "Riiiiiiiiiiight, sure you did". I'm a pretty good footer but I wouldn't have the balls to attempt that, plus I know the water isn't going to be that much warmer ha ha. This the first video I've ever seen of someone actually doing it, and I definitely know that I don't have the nads to try it.
http://www.eaglewetsuits.com/videos/therundown.wmv

Those boys sure do make it look easy.:cool:

76S&S
02-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Cool video.

We used to foot off of the platform from time to time, although I never learned to back barefoot.

Diamond Dawg
02-23-2010, 09:35 AM
That seems a little hard doesn't it?

SkiDog
02-23-2010, 09:37 AM
I used to do it too. To me, other than the boom, this was the easiest place to foot. Gotta wear barefoot shorts though! Boat speed about 35, depending on your size. Start off with both feet on platform and making sure you've got a firm grip on the rope so acceleration does sling you out the back. Once the speed is up, slowly move to where your feet are about half on/ half off the platform. With the rope about 1 1/2 - 2' behind you. At this point your arms are parallel with the boat and you're facing sideways. Slowly turn towards the front of the boat and easily sit down and ride on the water on your butt, with feet still planted on the platform. Ride this way a little ways & When comfortable, stand up. Simple as that.

Rockman
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Platform runs can be cool if you are an exerienced footer and have a good driver.

Someone did a front platform run at MM 4 or 5 I think.:rolleyes:

ahhudgins
02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
I learned to barefoot the old school way, stepping off a ski and doing face plants until I got it right. I'm trying to teach myself to come up backwards but I'm using the boom. I can do it on shoe skis. I may have attempted the platform footing in my younger days, but as you get older you take fewer chances. It looks cool, but I prefer to be 100 ft behind the boat:)

mikedudical
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
That's crazy. I did this once but I used my face instead of my feet.

Hollywood
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I've been wanting to do the platform step off for a while but haven't gotten around to trying it. I did do a slalom step off 10' behind the boat and was able to ride up the boat spray a little, that was fun.

flipper
02-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Cool video

flipper
02-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Was that toober tom doing the video?

CruisinGA
02-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Great video!

Been thinking about trying barefooting this summer, got some neighbors that used to 'foot, have a boom and are willing to teach.

That video just makes me want to try it more!

kawagaskier
02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Done it too... Here's a pic off the back of my buddy's nautique. Its really tough behind my S&S Powerslot though, way too much propwash.

Willski
02-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I've never tried. Maybe I should. I'm with you Kawagaskier. My 84 has a lot of propwash. Off to one side might be okay.

ahhudgins
02-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm comfortable stepping off of anything, except a platform. I don't care much for the flavor of teak oil. Kawagaskier, do you step off and back onto of the platform? :worthy: