PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft Decals & Vinyl

thafletch
02-22-2010, 05:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone new where I could purchase new decals for my 2000 mastercraft X5. The color has faded as well as the normal wear and tear and was looking online buy I havent had any luck. Also I am looking into replacing the vinyl upholstry and was wondering what the costs might be that I could be looking at. I live in the Florida area so if anyone had any suggestions on where to take it, I would greatly appreaciate it.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Talk to Jim at Bay Area WaterSports.

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/

Jeffer
02-24-2010, 01:17 AM
someone on one of these forums looked into www.copycatcovers.com. I have a '96 ProStar 190 and did the on-line request for quote,I'm still waiting for that to come back and I can post too.

Patsfan
02-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Check with Leading Edge. They know someone that has has a bunch of MC decals. They can probably help you with your interior also.
865-408-1900

bjackson
03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
How difficult is it to take off existing x-series graphics and replace with new ones? How would I go about taking the existing decals off, and what tips do you guys have for installing new ones (i.e. preparation of the gelcoat).

Thanks

bturner2
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM
The larger the decal the greater the pain of removing and installing. I've used a heat gun to effectively remove decals quickly (that would be relatively quickly). The key as always will be to take your time and avoid the temptation to use any metal tools (screw drivers. razors, scrapers, etc) to assist in the process. I will usually go out and buy a assortment of plastic spreaders for bondo to help with removal and installation. Be care with the heat gun too as it's easy to get carried away. The idea will be to soften the glue/decal to ease the removal process , not burn it off.

Once removed you'll likely have glue from the decal still on the boat. I've used Goo Gone and some Citrus Glue remover I got from Home Depot. Both worked fine. I'll usually hit the entire area with polishing compound using my Porter Cable buffer then clean thoroughly with a grease and wax remover. Depending on the size of the decal you may want to consider having it professionally installed. It doesn't take a lot to mess up a large decal (typically by letting it get folded and having it stick to itself). If you do decide to do it yourself you'll need to mix up some water with a bit of dish soap or buy decal application fluid premixed (recomended).

To install remove the backing for the decal and wet down the decal and hull with the application fluid. Be sure everything is good and wet then place the decal on the hull and adjust to the desired final location. Using one of the smaller plastic bondo spreaders as a squeegee start from the center of the decal to squeegee the water/air bubbles to the outside of the decal. The more water/air you remove the more the decal will adhere to the hull. Once all the water/air has bee removed you can slowly and carefully pull back the paper backing from the decal. This can go easy or hard depending on the quality and age of the decal. Older decals will want to stick to the backing paper. So will fine details of the design. This is slow and careful finish work so like I'd said a couple times it's something that you'll need to take your time with.

Hope this gives you some idea as to how to do this.....