PDA

View Full Version : Water in transmission fluid

chashart2000
02-17-2010, 07:31 PM
I've owned my 2005 X10 for a couple years. The transmission fluid is milky. Before I take it to someone to get it fixed I was hoping someone could edsucate me on the possible causes. It only had 50 hours on it when I got it in 2007 and there was some slight milkyness to the fluid. I change it each year, but it's getting worse. There is very little standing water in the boat and we only use it a couple weeks each summer. Any help is appreciated.

dog paw
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
I am not that familiar with X boat trans setups but the cooler would be the first thing I would check I would assume it uses a fresh water cooler like the Pro Stars. Other than a LOT of condensation or bilge flooding thats about the only way water can get into the trans. Have the cooler pressure checked for leaks between the water and oil "sides"

ski/hunt
02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm new to boat ownership, but when I took our new to us ps 205 to have it checked out the tech talked alot about the tranny cooler. The person we bought the boat from didn't winterize so I'm fixing cracked manifolds. The tech said the tranny cooler is also common to have problems. He said that the water cooling coils can crack or break inside the cooler which will put water in the transmission. Your boat is much newer than mine, so cooler could be different, but it's not hard to find follow lines out of trans. to cooler. Mines not much bigger than a beer can and I was told they are not to expensive. They can be pressure checked, might start there.

chashart2000
02-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys. I've always stored the X10 in a garage, but you never know what happened before. At least I have something intelligent to say when I go in with the boat.

Kyle
02-18-2010, 03:12 AM
Water can only enter the Transmission either through a bad transmission cooler like mentioned above or if you fill your bilge up and water seeps in through the transmission vent on the top of tranny.

Coolers are not expensive.

76S&S
02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
My issue was the seal where the shaft exits the transmssion. The transmission would suck up water from the bilge into the transmission when running and then it would leak back into the bilge. Any "milk" in the bilge? If not that would rule out the seal.

VOLFAN
02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
drain tansmission... you may want to flush it... put new oil in it and change your oil cooler.

you may have to change your fluid a few times to completely get rid of the water that is in there.