PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have a "Daily Driver"?

SunCoast 83
02-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Last year I had purchased a 2009 F150 Super Crew, however my job has transfered me farther from home (promotion opportunity), and I dont want to keep racking up miles on my new truck and it fuel bill with it.

I am looking to park the truck at home and pick up a little car to drive to and from work...61 miles round trip....Does any one else here have a similar arrangement?

Can it be used as a tax write off?

Hammer
02-16-2010, 03:55 PM
My wife drives 100+ miles a day. We have a old Honda Civic that she drives back and forth to work. Got 40 MPG and made it 350,000 miles on the first motor. Put a bigger motor in it for fun and now it still gets around 30 MPG. Its paid for itself many many times over. I don't think I could drive it daily though. I'm 6-3 and 250lbs. I run around in it from time to time just because its fun to drive. Just not daily. The best thing to do is make some millage calculations and see if the savings cover the cost of the car, insurance and depreciation. Then just make the call.

Hammer
02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
And I don't think you can right it off.

Ski-me
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Same thoughts as well.

When the big spike in gas prices went up I tried contemplating the idea of parking the suburban (3/4 ton) and getting a smaller car. After calculating the additional insurance, the price of vehicle and then compared the gas savings.....it just didn't work out. It took several years before it broke even. Using 10 mpg vs. 30 mpg and purchasing about a $4000 vehicle.

I don't know about right off other than "perhaps" you can write off on a "per mileage" criteria. You can't really ever write off an entire purchase "100% expense" for taxes. Others may correct me but last time I looked into writing off the purchase of a vehicle for real estate.....it was just better to do a mileage per year write off.

Shaun315
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Same thoughts as well.

When the big spike in gas prices went up I tried contemplating the idea of parking the suburban (3/4 ton) and getting a smaller car. After calculating the additional insurance, the price of vehicle and then compared the gas savings.....it just didn't work out. It took several years before it broke even. Using 10 mpg vs. 30 mpg and purchasing about a $4000 vehicle.

I don't know about right off other than "perhaps" you can write off on a "per mileage" criteria. You can't really ever write off an entire purchase "100% expense" for taxes. Others may correct me but last time I looked into writing off the purchase of a vehicle for real estate.....it was just better to do a mileage per year write off.

I think you can only write off mileage required for your job... to/from might not count (or if you have a good tax accountant they might be able to help with that).

Like Ski-me said you need to find a low cost car to make it work, I bough my sisters 1992 celica from her when she went to college for $1000 (I'd done all the maintenance on it anyway, also had some minor body damage from her running over a boulder :confused:), it got about 30-36 mpg, while my Silverado SS managed about 12-14 (and required premium gas).

I had that car for almost 4 years (during the gas price spike), I'm sure it payed itself off within the first year and a half. The risk of buying a cheap car is the risk of it breaking down I guess... Although I never had a problem with that celica over 48k+ miles.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
May need to factor in time off work for recovery after the accident that squished you, while you otherwise would have been fine in the truck.

Thrall
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
You can make the #'s work if you buy a real cheap little car. Looks like you're in for about 15k mi/year commuting. Question is can you buy, repair (assuming more repairs on an older car), register and insure the car for less than the depreciation and additional fuel cost on the F150?

I've kicked this back and forth for 2 years now, as my wife is now taking the older kid to school 60 mi round trip, 50% of the time (carpool) + her normal driving and commuting to work.
She's piling up the miles on the Dodge diesel pretty fast.
For me, a small car is out of the question. Most of her driving is hauling our kids and other kids to school and I've seen the damage inflicted on a little car by a big car or truck many times. I'd have to be hard up for money to put myself or the family in a compact car.
Then factor in that most of the school months are winter here, snow from Oct/Nov until April, so she needs a 4x4 since they don't make a front wheel drive fullsize SUV.
Now I'm into the type of vehicle that gets worse mileage than the diesel.
It didn't work for me, but may for you if you are willing to drive an old compact car. Otherwise, let the F150 roll!

TayMC197
02-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Back in aprile of 07 I bought a 87 Acura integra in mint condition. 100k with heat, air, all the options. I get about 30 around town 35 on the road. Alternately I had a half ton z71 that got 16 at it best on the road. Car goes the same distance on a tank and cost about 45 bucks less a tank. I still have the car and of course had to do ruetine tires, breaks, oil, etc. I now have 134k on it. I also bought a 02 duramax last October that gets about 16 around town and 20 on the road. I still drive my car for work and running around. I've paid the car off the first year easily. Save my trucks big time. I still drive them plenty since I have to pull the boat and mx bikes. I would definately say it's worth it. Also cheap cars = liability which is cheap in comparison. If this car breaks down, I'm still ahead and I'd find a a new one if it's not fixable.

TEAL98
02-22-2010, 01:17 AM
My DD is the 02 Yukon, needs a tune-up, only getting around 15mpg w/ a 60/40 mix of highway/city driving:mad: 200k+ and still goin strong... Can't wait for the model year end come summer though:D Been droolin' at those new Tahoes long enough

EDIT: And yes, its just under 100 miles round-trip per day

76S&S
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
First, you can't write it off. Even if you are self employed, the commute to and from is not deductible.

I debated this same idea about a year and a half ago. I wound up buying a Civic SI. It will scoot when you want to and still gets 30+ for my driving. I drive around 80 miles round trip a day and my truck had about 190,000 on it when I bought the Civic. This way the truck will be around a lot longer and its cheaper to replace the Civic when the time comes vs the truck. The truck is a F350 crew cab.