PDA

View Full Version : Virgina Beach/Langley

BriEOD
06-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Anyone on here know if there is any fresh water skiing in the Va Beach/Langley area?

east tx skier
06-17-2005, 09:34 AM
No, but I've been waiting for this post!

BriEOD
06-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Why have you been waiting? It's a possibility not a sure thing.

Leroy
06-17-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm checking with my cousin that lives near there. She husband owns a company that puts electronics on the big boats.

Leroy
06-17-2005, 06:11 PM
BriEOD; Not encouraging:

I don't know of any fresh water skiing near hampton. The James isn't fresh water until above the fall line in Richmond. The York is all salt and the rivers around West Point are salt for quite a distance. Same for the Rappahannock. I can't think of lakes in that area either.

ski_king
06-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I drove thru there a couple of years ago and a small lake along the interstate caught my eye. Not sure if it is big enough and it may be private, but it looked to be fresh water and close to Langley.
Not sure, but this (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.047358,-76.398368&spn=0.019011,0.030770&z=2&t=k&hl=en) may be it.

jimmer2880
06-17-2005, 07:22 PM
just make the 3.5 hour drive to my place on weekends! :D

BriEOD
06-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys...

Jerseydave
06-18-2005, 05:00 PM
just make the 3.5 hour drive to my place on weekends! :D

Are you on the Potomac? How far of a drive from Carlisle, Pa?

Jerseydave
06-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Anyone on here know if there is any fresh water skiing in the Va Beach/Langley area?

Try lake Anna, just north of Richmond. Not exactly close to VA beach, but a great lake for skiing.

BriEOD
06-18-2005, 05:25 PM
If I'm gonna drive that far I'll just go to my buddies in Midlothian on the James.

Leroy
06-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Lake Anna would be nice, but a little drive.

Hoosier Bob
06-18-2005, 06:22 PM
I ski'd on the James, I believe York and in the Ches. Bay in the early eighty's. Once I started seeing the Blue Crabs and Nettles (spelling?) I was done. Sting nettles got me a couple of times but a wet suit would stop that. Remember all you need is a couple of chicken necks, some string, a net and a big cooler and you can catch your fill of crabs in a very short time. Steam them in Old Bay and have plenty of beer on hand. You will forget about skiing for a while anyway.

jimmer2880
06-20-2005, 09:14 AM

I'm about 45 minutes from Carlisle. Do you make it over there regularly?

jimmer2880
06-20-2005, 09:17 AM

Yes, on the Potomac river. downstream of Williamsport, MD, upstream of Dam 4

shepherd
06-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I've never been to Lake Anna when I lived in D.C., mainly because I heard it was a zoo, especially on the weekends. Those jellyfish in the local saltwater are nasty. If I remember correctly, that lake next to the interstate in Hampton used to have a ski jump on it (that was about 15 years ago, though)? :rolleyes: Is it still there?

Leroy
06-21-2005, 11:50 AM
BriEOD; Another recommendation from my cousin. I have a friend from DC that goes to Lake Anna on a regular basis, but long drive for you I think.

Have your friend look into Lake Gaston and Lake Chesdin.

Jerseydave
06-21-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm about 45 minutes from Carlisle. Do you make it over there regularly?

jimmer,

No I don't go out that way very often. how are the conditions in the river? Do you have a long run?

We use to ski on the Sussquehanna river on Lake Aldred. The lake is about 7 miles long, usually good water mostly in the am. There is a ski club on there and they had a jump and a course.

Your spot is about 3 1/2 hours from me :eek:

BriEOD
06-21-2005, 09:47 PM
BriEOD; Another recommendation from my cousin. I have a friend from DC that goes to Lake Anna on a regular basis, but long drive for you I think.

Have your friend look into Lake Gaston and Lake Chesdin.

Thanks Leroy, I'm actually going to be at Lake Gaston all of next week.

jimmer2880
06-22-2005, 06:17 AM
jimmer,

No I don't go out that way very often. how are the conditions in the river? Do you have a long run?

We use to ski on the Sussquehanna river on Lake Aldred. The lake is about 7 miles long, usually good water mostly in the am. There is a ski club on there and they had a jump and a course.

Your spot is about 3 1/2 hours from me :eek:

We have approx 10 miles of ski'able water, 4 more that are jet boat worthy. Many spots have 150' clifs on both sides, the rest have at least 100' cliff on one side. Easy to find good water on a windy day (if it's not the weekend)

Is your spot on the Sussquehanna the boating club across from 15 on the northern side of Harrisburg?

Thanks Leroy, I'm actually going to be at Lake Gaston all of next week.

I spent a week on Gaston. Fabulous lake. If only I could get a job in that area which I could afford a house on that lake.... it would take my wife & I all of about 2 seconds to put up the For Sale sign on our house! NICE!

Don't forget a map of the lake. My first night, I ended up in a duck hunting area (did I mention that my depth finder occasionally doesn't work?).

BriEOD
06-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks Jim,

Yeah, it does look really nice. My wife and I are talking about checking out some property while we are there. I found a great rental property/realtor www.storyproperties.com MarkP is going a few weeks after me. I'm getting fired up! An entire week on the river and I don't have to trailer the boat everyday! :banana:

Get your boat fixed?

djhuff
06-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Bri, check out endofropegang.com, there are alot of people on there from Gaston, and a few from the Va Beach area. They'll be able to help you out.

When are you going to Gaston?

djhuff
06-22-2005, 08:26 AM
I guess I should read all of the thread, you already said you would be there next week. I might be going up next Friday, not sure yet though.

BriEOD
06-22-2005, 08:26 AM
I'll be there the 25 Jun - 2 Jul.

shepherd
06-22-2005, 01:46 PM
We have approx 10 miles of ski'able water, 4 more that are jet boat worthy. Many spots have 150' clifs on both sides, the rest have at least 100' cliff on one side. Easy to find good water on a windy day (if it's not the weekend)

Is your spot on the Sussquehanna the boating club across from 15 on the northern side of Harrisburg?

I spent a week on Gaston. Fabulous lake. If only I could get a job in that area which I could afford a house on that lake.... it would take my wife & I all of about 2 seconds to put up the For Sale sign on our house! NICE!

Don't forget a map of the lake. My first night, I ended up in a duck hunting area (did I mention that my depth finder occasionally doesn't work?).
When I lived in Maryland, we used to go camping on Kerr Lake, just upstream of Gaston, every year. My friends till go there a couple times a year, but now they rent a couple cabins on the NC side. The lake has beautiful clear water and is mostly undeveloped, especially on the Virginia side. I think the Corps of Engineers had some restrictions on building houses on the shore. There's a lot of glassy coves to ski on and there used to be a slalom course in one of them. The only other boats we saw out there were usually bass boats, and a few sailboats on the NC side. I heard Gaston was similar, but had a lot of houses lining the shores.

Anyways, it's too far for daily after-work ski sessions if you live in the Norfolk area, but it's definitely worth going out there for a weekend if you want to get some serious all-day-long skiing sets in.

jimmer2880
06-23-2005, 05:33 AM
CAUTION CAUTION - Thread hijaack in progress

... Get your boat fixed?

Yup - got it back Saturday night (but, got Strep Throat Saturday also :mad:)

Guy did great work & had it back to me in 5 days. He gave a lifetime guarantee on his work also. Can't beat that. What I can beat is my fuel pump going out on our first outting Tue night :rant:

Ohh well - swapped that out last night & it's running like a champ again!

BriEOD
09-09-2005, 12:54 PM
This is looking more and more of a certainty for me. We will probably be transferring around Dec/Jan time frame to Langley (Pretty sure of it). Is anyone on here in the Williamsburg, New Ports News, Langley area? Anyone heard of Big Bethel Resvoir? Or am I going to be forced to buy a Barefoot or Salt Water Series MC?

Lance
09-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Its probably too far as others have suggested but Lake Anna might be a good visit a few times a year. There are two faces to Lake Anna so be sure you get the whole story before writing it off. The total lake is about 13,000 acres but is divided into two parts one of which is about 8500 and the other which is about 4500. The larger part is public access but the other side is only accessible to property owners (and their friends). If you want more information or want to check it out sometime I would be happy to host.

Lance

Farmer Ted
09-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Come on Brian tell Momma to get Barksdale!
You can come hang out with me and the Wildman!!

BriEOD
09-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks Lance I'll keep it in mind. I've got some family in Midlothian and was actually born in Richmond so I have been on the James, a lot. I actually learned to ski there.

Tim, that would be great. However, their isn't a slot for momma or I there. I'm sure AFPC is just loving us right now trying to find a spot for a CE Chief and an OSI Officer at the same place. It looks like she'll be going to HQ ACC and me to the Wing. 95% sure, nothing in writing yet...

6ballsisall
09-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Ok Bri, for the military term challenged

What is a CE cheif and a OSI Officer???

Where are you maybe moving too? Did they close the base you are at?? Sorry I am lost on this thread

erkoehler
09-10-2005, 09:45 AM
I second that JR, I have no idea what is going on here other than Brieod may possibly be moving in the later half of the year possibly to a base.

Farmer Ted
09-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Ok Bri, for the military term challenged

What is a CE cheif and a OSI Officer???

Where are you maybe moving too? Did they close the base you are at?? Sorry I am lost on this thread

Jeff,

CE Chief = Civil Engineering Boss

OSI Officer = Office of Special Investigation = Spook

Brian's going to need a new Avatar....

6ballsisall
09-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Jeff,

CE Chief = Civil Engineering Boss

OSI Officer = Office of Special Investigation = Spook

Thanks Partner! :wavey:

erkoehler
09-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Sounds like he better start looking in the marketplace for a BF 200 :D

BriEOD
09-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Where are you maybe moving too? Did they close the base you are at??

I'm finishing up school here in a couple of months :banana: and will be trading my stripes for bars. I also will have a new job which is good and bad. The money is a lot better, so that's good. But, I won't be EOD anymore which has been fun and challenging. I'll be OSI (Office of Special Investigations) AF Federal Agent, suit and tie no uniforms :cool: . I'll investigate crimes against the AF and Gov't and do a lot of counter intelligence work (helps to have an EOD background, hence what landed me the job I'm sure). Their is someone inbound to take my wife's spot here at Charleston and they don't want to put me back at a base where I'm well known in case I have to do undercover, investigate people I know, etc. So, in typical military fashoin we're moving on. Bascially it came down to Rammstein Germany or Langley Virgina (near Norfolk, Williamsburg). We opted for Langley. My wife was already stationed in Germany and I'm not ready to back overseas again. Nothing in stone yet, but 95% sure will be moving X-mas/New Years time...Well gotta jump in the shower. It's the wifes birthday and I'm taking her out for dinner without any kids (1st time since Cody has been born). I just got the boat put up....

jimmer2880
09-10-2005, 07:36 PM
SWEET! That's awsome for you. I'm glad.

Now, we absolutely need to get together sometime.

How about a little snow skiing this winter? I'm 12 minutes from Whitetail (a little 900' hill) so we have a place for your little tike to crash for a while.

BriEOD
09-10-2005, 08:15 PM
That sounds great Jim but you'll have to teach me. I've seen snow 5x's in my three decades on earth.

jimmer2880
09-11-2005, 06:54 PM
That sounds great Jim but you'll have to teach me. I've seen snow 5x's in my three decades on earth.

That's cool. I've been a ski instructor for 15 - going on 16 years now. Longest job I've ever had. Of course, it helps that it's only 15 hours a week for 3 months a year with tons of nice bennies :)

Every now & then I end up down that way on business also (probably the same location where you'll be working). Maybe we can catch up for lunch one day.

erkoehler
09-11-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm finishing up school here in a couple of months :banana: and will be trading my stripes for bars. I also will have a new job which is good and bad. The money is a lot better, so that's good. But, I won't be EOD anymore which has been fun and challenging. I'll be OSI (Office of Special Investigations) AF Federal Agent, suit and tie no uniforms :cool: . I'll investigate crimes against the AF and Gov't and do a lot of counter intelligence work (helps to have an EOD background, hence what landed me the job I'm sure). Their is someone inbound to take my wife's spot here at Charleston and they don't want to put me back at a base where I'm well known in case I have to do undercover, investigate people I know, etc. So, in typical military fashoin we're moving on. Bascially it came down to Rammstein Germany or Langley Virgina (near Norfolk, Williamsburg). We opted for Langley. My wife was already stationed in Germany and I'm not ready to back overseas again. Nothing in stone yet, but 95% sure will be moving X-mas/New Years time...Well gotta jump in the shower. It's the wifes birthday and I'm taking her out for dinner without any kids (1st time since Cody has been born). I just got the boat put up....

Congrats on the promotion :D Hope you are able to stay in the U.S. and enjoy the Virginia life.

BriEOD
09-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Every now & then I end up down that way on business also (probably the same location where you'll be working). Maybe we can catch up for lunch one day.

Yeah, I'll let you know how it materializes. We should know something concrete this week. I've been worried what to do with the boat though. Their doesn't seem to be an awful lot of fresh water in that region. Maybe a PowerStar 200 is in my future.

jimmer2880
09-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I'll let you know how it materializes. We should know something concrete this week. I've been worried what to do with the boat though. Their doesn't seem to be an awful lot of fresh water in that region. Maybe a PowerStar 200 is in my future.

or - convert it to a closed cooling system. I think the kit is ~$800.00?

budman
09-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Great sking on the Chickahominey River,Williamsburg,You can put in at RT.5 camp grounds or like I do go to Colonial Harbor Marina on Rt.60 in New Kent.A little further up river but a great place to play.

east tx skier
09-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Brian, we're keeping our fingers crossed for you guys here in Texas. Let us know if you need anything when that moving day approaches? Maybe some Pizzas? ;)

BriEOD
09-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Great sking on the Chickahominey River,Williamsburg,You can put in at RT.5 camp grounds or like I do go to Colonial Harbor Marina on Rt.60 in New Kent.A little further up river but a great place to play.

Budman, thanks for the reply. I was just looking at those places on the map. Without knowing where we'll be living it's hard to guess. We're not going to want to live more than like 30 minutes away from the base. I assume everything down that end on the James is salt/brackish. What's the season like up there? Are those places you mentioned fresh water? Are you running and 87 PS 190? Thanks.

BriEOD
09-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Brian, we're keeping our fingers crossed for you guys here in Texas. Let us know if you need anything when that moving day approaches? Maybe some Pizzas? ;)
Thanks Doug and I will.

Cary K.
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Bri, I don't really know too much about the reason but the above post got me thinking. The guys from the Richmond area swear by the Chickahominy and the Mattaponi. I think they are both fresh and close to Richmond. I can't find them on a regular map, and have not yet googled them, just thought I would throw that out there. Definitely worth looking into.

budman
09-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Chickahominey River,Williamsburg

budman
09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Yep,still running the 190,From Langley 45min. 64 west to I think its 33 left at the stop sign,1mi.turn right on 60 west,8 mi.take a left across from an old motel(M&D) go till you cross the R/R tracks turn left Colonial Harbor Marina.Youll love it

shepherd
09-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Never been there, but if the James is anything like the Potomac and Patuxent, the water at Chickahominy is probably brackish at worst.

I've also never been to Germany, but I'm sure Langley would be the better deal by far, especially if you have family/friend connections in Richmond area. I spent a few summers at the Newport News shipyard in my college days. Great place to live if you like the water -- Virginia Beach, Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, close to Outer Banks... Also, Pierce's just north of Williamsburg has some of the best BBQ I've ever had (Carolina style!).

Though the skiing opportunities may be limited, it would be a great place to live. Good luck and congrats on the promotion!