PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing 1992 Pro Star 205

MatthewStokes
02-15-2010, 09:53 PM
For the last 7 years or so I've been skiing behind my friends 1993 Pro Star 205 and loved it. Last fall I was able to locate a 1992 Pro Star 205 in relatively good condition. It had 180 hours on it, only about 1/2 were on the engine that was replaced in '99 due to not winterizing it.

In this thread I'll post pictures and such as I go through the process of refurbishing it. The majority of items that I will be doing are cosmetic such as:
1. Cleaning the hull - It's greenish brown where it should be white
I've attached pictures of the before and after of testing the StarBrite Instant Hull Cleaner. This stuff works great. Just spray it on, wait about 5 minutes and rinse it off. For the really tough areas a light scrubbing and it all goes away. Once the weather warms up, I'll be crawling under the the boat and cleaning the rest of it.
2. Cleaning and remounting the swim platform
3. Removing the oxidation and such on the hull

Some of the non-cosmetic items I have planned or have already completed:
1. Rebuild the Holley Carb (done)
The engine stalled when transitioning from just being in gear to under power. The previous owner was supposed to fix this issue before I picked it up, even had his mechanic come out and fix it supposedly. Before I handed over the money we took it out for spin and the problem was still there so I was able to get them to reduce the price by the cost of a replacement carb. After getting it home I contacted SkiDim and got the rebuild kit. A little elbow grease and about $70 later it was good to go.
2. Fixing a short in the engine compartment (done)
The main cable from the battery was being pinched where it connects into the starter relay and the insulation had finally worn through. I assume this was done when the engine was replaced in 1999 and finally just wore through. I've routed it correctly and it's working great.
3. Trailer brakes and actuator repair/replacement
I've pulled the actuator off the trailer (A60) and was planning to replace the broken parts. After figuring out how much it was for parts and figuring the others were old and worn, it's actually only a few dollars more for the complete actuator. Will be picking that up next month.

MatthewStokes
02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I didn't want to make the previous post too long so, here are before and after pictures of cleaning up the swim platform. For this I used the 3 part Star Brite Teac care kit. Turned out very well I think.

ccelia
02-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Looks good so far. The Starbrite Hull Cleaner is some great stuff that I use once a year to get the hull looking new again.

The teak looks great as well. How many coats of teak oil did you use? Did you do some sanding in between coats? My teak looked great the first time I did the three step, but faded rather quickly. I found that following TMCNo1's method really keeps the oiled look lasting far longer. If you do a quick search, I am sure that you can find his instructions if your interested.

Good luck with the project and it looks like you are off to a good start. Be sure to update us with pictures as you progress.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Congrats on purchasing a great boat! Looks like you are off to a good start with the hull and the platform. Love to hear when a carb gets rebuilt - its not that much of a job. How does the interior look?

MatthewStokes
02-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Looks good so far. The Starbrite Hull Cleaner is some great stuff that I use once a year to get the hull looking new again.

The teak looks great as well. How many coats of teak oil did you use? Did you do some sanding in between coats? My teak looked great the first time I did the three step, but faded rather quickly. I found that following TMCNo1's method really keeps the oiled look lasting far longer. If you do a quick search, I am sure that you can find his instructions if your interested.

Good luck with the project and it looks like you are off to a good start. Be sure to update us with pictures as you progress.

Thank you, I'll see if I can locate it. This was a 3 step cleaning and oiling process based on the kit. I actually ended up with 3 coats of oil based on how dry the wood was and figuring it would be sitting for a few months prior to use.

A quick search didn't located TMCSNo1's method but I'll keep digging.

MatthewStokes
02-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Congrats on purchasing a great boat! Looks like you are off to a good start with the hull and the platform. Love to hear when a carb gets rebuilt - its not that much of a job. How does the interior look?

Thank you. I've only had it on the water 3 times since I got it but I'm really happy with the performance and ride. Interior is in suprisingly good shape.

There are a couple minor nicks in the side panels, near the rear speakers, the front cushion in the bow has a tear from people climbing in and out of the bow, and one puncture on the top of the rear seat where it meets the stern (smaller than a dime).

Once the weather warms up and I take the cover off I'll get more pictures. NC is surpisingly cold right now.

cbryan70
02-16-2010, 01:55 AM
Thank you, I'll see if I can locate it. This was a 3 step cleaning and oiling process based on the kit. I actually ended up with 3 coats of oil based on how dry the wood was and figuring it would be sitting for a few months prior to use.

A quick search didn't located TMCSNo1's method but I'll keep digging.

IF you go to the FAQ's and find "how to make the teak look like a peice of furniture" or somthing like that it will give you the steps. Its a bit of work but worth it over winter. Teak is high maintenence and if you use your boat often to keep up with it oiling it after every weekend with a rag for a quick whip down will save you some time.

kiteklan
02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
What about posting some photos of the boat,how is the interior,gelcoat.
From the photos gelcoat seams pretty good for 1992.

MatthewStokes
02-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Here's some more "before" pictures. It's been too cold to do anything on it so far this month. As soon as it warms up though I'll be hitting the hull and cleaning the upholstery as it's got some mildew stains on it from the previous owner. Still trying to decide if I'm going to remove all of the logos and decals before working on the gel coat or wait til end of season for that. With new Baby on the way not sure.

Ryan
02-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I have a barely used A60 actuator with reverse solenoid that I'm looking to unload. PM me if you're interested.

jacobe
02-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Looks great so far. I'm looking forward to the progress and I love the 205.

MatthewStokes
03-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Finally getting back to the boat after having to complete some other projects around the house. The new actuator has been installed and necessitated some additional work. The main brakeline was rusted through halfway between the actuator and the soft line so I made all new brakelines. I was hoping that would be all but found that at least one of the wheel cylinders is leaking, so replacing both will be the next task. At least it's towable now and I can get it in the water this weekend.
Besides wheel cylinders, the next item is complete cleaning of the interior. Once cleaned up a bit will post some more pictures.

MatthewStokes
03-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Forgot to ask. Wheel cylinders come in a Right hand of Left Hand model. The one that is leaking is the passenger side. If I just replace that one, is that the Right hand or Left hand one? All of the posted pictures of the wheel cylinders I've found are the same picture so not sure which to get.

cbryan70
03-24-2010, 04:31 PM
1. Rebuild the Holley Carb (done)
The engine stalled when transitioning from just being in gear to under power. The previous owner was supposed to fix this issue before I picked it up, even had his mechanic come out and fix it supposedly. Before I handed over the money we took it out for spin and the problem was still there so I was able to get them to reduce the price by the cost of a replacement carb. After getting it home I contacted SkiDim and got the rebuild kit. A little elbow grease and about $70 later it was good to go.

Did you do a full rebuild of the carb to solve this problem or was it just the accelorator pump

MatthewStokes
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
I did a full rebuild.