PDA

View Full Version : X2 Rudder Removal

Marky-mark
02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi. Can anyone offer some information on how to remove and refit the rudder from my 2006 X2? I recently posted a thread about the play I have in the rudder shaft. Need to get it out now to find out what's up. Is it an easy job and are there any seals or replaceable parts in there? Thanks in advance. I'm sure one of you guys has done this before. :)

EJ OJPROP
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
The Vesconite sleeve and the seal in the rudder port are serviceable parts. Feel free to give me a call to go over the details.

Eric @ OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Marky-mark
02-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks. Bit tricky (and not cheap) to ring you from the UK due to time difference. I'd like to take it to bits first to inspect. Anyone have any pictures of the assembly in pieces to identify the parts? And info on how to dismantle it of course!

EJ OJPROP
02-11-2010, 02:09 PM
The Vesconite sleeve pressed into the bronze housing can be pressed out an replaced. The port would have to be removed from the boat to do this. The seal in the sleeve can be replaced while the port is still in the boat. The seal is pressed into the sleeve housing and retained with a clip.

Marky-mark
02-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Okay thanks. Great info. I take it the shaft is unlikely to be worn then. I checked out Vesconite on the web. Cool stuff! Is taking the rudder out as simple as undoing the pinch bolt in the rudder control arm and the rudder drops out? Nothing else holding it in?
I'm really appreciating the help.

KHall
02-13-2010, 02:46 PM
The pinch bolt must be completely removed for the rudder to drop. That's all that held mine. My rudder hit the trailer before it came out, i'll have to reposition boat for removal.

Marky-mark
02-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I'll post when I find out what the play is. Still can't see why there should be so much play on a boat with only 175 hours on it.