PDA

View Full Version : Letting MC Winterize Boat

Shane21
02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Has anyone else let the dealer winterize their boat? I took mine in this year b/c I didn't have time. Here's what they did:
- Drain water and normal winterization
- Change oil/filter and typical routine maintenance
- Change impeller
- Shrink wrap and store boat all winter

What kind of costs would you guys see for something like this?

east tx skier
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Has anyone else let the dealer winterize their boat? I took mine in this year b/c I didn't have time. Here's what they did:
- Drain water and normal winterization
- Change oil/filter and typical routine maintenance
- Change impeller
- Shrink wrap and store boat all winter

What kind of costs would you guys see for something like this?

Depends what "typical routine maintenance" is.

I vote against changing the impeller at winterization for the record. Do that in the spring so it doesn't sit in one malformed position for months on end. Its efficiency as a "water mover suffers as a result.

My guess is $350 for the winterization/maintenance/impeller change plus whatever shrink wrap and storage were.

Maristar210
02-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I paid $850 for the same exact service last fall

BriEOD
02-05-2010, 01:33 PM

:eek: I hope that is inside storage.

Gixxer
02-05-2010, 01:58 PM
a few drain plugs and an oil change that takes 10 min. Ill keep my $350 thank you...

bbymgr
02-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Anti-freeze block, fog engine, stabilize fuel, engine oil and filter change, change fuel filter, clean flame arrestor and change transmission fluid for $280. Winterizing ballast tanks is $19 per tank, and shrink wrap is $12 per foot.

erkoehler
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
$249.99 for engine winterize
$26 per ballast/accessory
$32.50 per foot for Indoor Storage
$18 per foot outdoor storage w/ shrinkwrap
$10 per foot shrinkwrap, $12 per foot if we go over the tower
$10 per foot for outdoor storage
$117 for an oil change
$149 Imp. Change

Esiegert
02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
This is what we do for $525.00:

Engine Winterization.
Ballast winterization (if applicable)
Shrinkwrap
Fuel stabilized
Outside storage (shrinkwraped) up to 6 months
Dewinterization:
Oil & Filter Change
Replace impellor
Replace fuel filter
Check cap & Rotor (if applicable)
Tranny fluid check
(pretty much an all around inspection)
Trailer check
Air breather element clean
Interior Clean
Water test

captain planet
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Ppffft.....did they kiss you first? ;)

JohnnyB
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
$117 for an oil change
$149 Imp. Change

These seem a bit excessive...others seem in-line to me....I'd probably even give you the benefit of the doubt on the oil change given the cost of shop time. Just my :twocents:

erkoehler
02-05-2010, 04:55 PM
These seem a bit excessive...others seem in-line to me....I'd probably even give you the benefit of the doubt on the oil change given the cost of shop time. Just my :twocents:

Shop labor rate is now at $119. Imp. is $35.

Oil Change is .75hr labor, 5 qts. oil, filter, and shop supplies/oil disposal.

It is TOUGH to get an oil change done in .75hr. By the time you go out in the yard, pull the boat in, uncover the boat, hook up fake-a-lake, run boat to temp, drain oil, change filter, fill oil, start boat run briefly, check oil level, wipe down all seats/engine hatch, remove fake-a-lake, re-cover boat, and put back in the yard.

Thats 45 minutes time limit!

cbryan70
02-05-2010, 06:57 PM
$249.99 for engine winterize
$26 per ballast/accessory
$32.50 per foot for Indoor Storage
$18 per foot outdoor storage w/ shrinkwrap
$10 per foot shrinkwrap, $12 per foot if we go over the tower
$10 per foot for outdoor storage
$117 for an oil change
$149 Imp. Change

Shop labor rate is now at $119. Imp. is $35.

Oil Change is .75hr labor, 5 qts. oil, filter, and shop supplies/oil disposal.

It is TOUGH to get an oil change done in .75hr. By the time you go out in the yard, pull the boat in, uncover the boat, hook up fake-a-lake, run boat to temp, drain oil, change filter, fill oil, start boat run briefly, check oil level, wipe down all seats/engine hatch, remove fake-a-lake, re-cover boat, and put back in the yard.

Thats 45 minutes time limit!

Erk....you forget that when you winterize you already have the boat in the shop with that 250 should already run the motor for antifreeze which warms up the motor for the oil change. We have oil change and then oil change with winterization. :D Looks like we will be at the lake county boat show as well...dont see you on the list of vendors?

erkoehler
02-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Erk....you forget that when you winterize you already have the boat in the shop with that 250 should already run the motor for antifreeze which warms up the motor for the oil change. We have oil change and then oil change with winterization. :D Looks like we will be at the lake county boat show as well...dont see you on the list of vendors?

We'll be there :)

What are you bringing?

cbryan70
02-05-2010, 07:55 PM
We'll be there :)

What are you bringing?

A new boat line made by larson probably alumacraft and lowe? Dont know we dont plan this stuff erk it usually consist of me throwing together a bunch of stuff the day before. we have that show and the rockford show the same weekend with 3 sales guys should be interesting. 1 guy at the store and 2 at shows. what other manufactuers are going to be up there that are not listed?

erkoehler
02-05-2010, 08:03 PM
A new boat line made by larson probably alumacraft and lowe? Dont know we dont plan this stuff erk it usually consist of me throwing together a bunch of stuff the day before. we have that show and the rockford show the same weekend with 3 sales guys should be interesting. 1 guy at the store and 2 at shows. what other manufactuers are going to be up there that are not listed?

premier pontoons

justinglow
02-05-2010, 08:36 PM

Bryan if you see Erk at the boat show can you pick up my guide pole covers for my trailer and ship them to me? I have been on a 6 month waiting list.:D

cbryan70
02-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Bryan if you see Erk at the boat show can you pick up my guide pole covers for my trailer and ship them to me? I have been on a 6 month waiting list.:D

Your from around here fly on up and get them yourself. Tough to steal guide post covers if you dont have any boats just....he doesnt have many to "borrow" from

JimN
02-05-2010, 11:27 PM
a few drain plugs and an oil change that takes 10 min. Ill keep my $350 thank you...

Yeah, and you have the whole list of what is usually done during winterization, right? Obviously not, or you wouldn't think it takes that little. What about the scheduled lube, alignment checks, blowing out the speedo line(s) (if it has them), checking the packing and making sure it doesn't need anything else that would possible make you come back in spring all pissed off that they weren't done last fall, and you were stranded because of them? What about actually knowing the boat well enough to know what to look for? That should be free, right?

Gixxer
02-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Luckaly I dont have to mess with antifreeze in the block. My garage usually stays above 60 degrees and the boat is out of the water 3 - 4 months tops. Impeller changed every year and waterstrainer normally clean anyway. Lubes are normally fine and trany fluid good (for now). Sooo. Me and my boat are pretty good buddys. Looking above if you are getting wrapped up storage out of your yard for some of those prices might not be too bad. I would still hate to pay labor rates for the simple stuff. Dont worry JimN my boat gets looked after but I just couldnt imagine paying hundreds of for someone else to do it. Like you said you need to know your own boat which I totally agree.

Shane21
02-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for eveyone's input. To be honest with you, it has been really nice to not have to worry about it or have it taking up space in the driveway. I'll probably continue to do this each year, plus the guys up there take pretty good care of me....

Kell
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Slightly off topic, but related. Picked up ou 2009 X2 MCX that the dealer winterized and I noticed that the flame arrestor (K&N) is really dirtly. Perhaps that is not part of the standard winterization/summerization process offered by the dealer. In the past I have K&N air filters on vehicles, and you simply would buy a K&N recharge kit to clean the air filter. Can or should the same be done on the K&N flame arrestor on the MCX?

east tx skier
05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Slightly off topic, but related. Picked up ou 2009 X2 MCX that the dealer winterized and I noticed that the flame arrestor (K&N) is really dirtly. Perhaps that is not part of the standard winterization/summerization process offered by the dealer. In the past I have K&N air filters on vehicles, and you simply would buy a K&N recharge kit to clean the air filter. Can or should the same be done on the K&N flame arrestor on the MCS?

I believe so.

GregS
07-06-2010, 01:17 PM
What is everyone doing to winterize the ballast in the boat? Just curious?

Greg

Thrall
07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
What is everyone doing to winterize the ballast in the boat? Just curious?

Greg

Gettin cold down there already?:D
This was my first yr with ballast tanks and I ran as much water out of them as I could, then hooked a hose to the manifold where all the ballast lines go thru and filled each tank with 3 gal of windshield washer fluid (turning the pump switch to fill), then reversed the pumps to empty a little of the blue juice.
Mine sat in the garage all winter, but I'm sure there were extended periods below freezing (dogs water would freeze) and daytimes where the doors were open for a while when it was 0 out.
I used the washer fluid, on sale .99/gal. To be safer, use some RV antifreeze instead.

GregS
07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
NO....just thinking ahead. First year with a boat with Ballast...I want to make sure we do all of the right things.....don't need to make any mistakes...if you know what I mean.

And the weather...its about 100 here....HOT....AFRICAN HOT....Tarzan can't take this hot!!!!