PDA

View Full Version : Multiple skiiers

Dan K
08-18-2004, 10:13 PM
On Monday we were doing our usual triple skiier routine for fun when a group of four skiers came by, this resulted in an impromptu group of skiiers getting together to see how many we could get up at once on my old tug.
We started with seven slalom skiiers with six making it up with a bit of a struggle. We added two more skiers that were watchiing and put as many on doubles as possible. This resulted in only five making it up but it was a lot easier on the boat. We all had a great time trying this out and having a little fun untangling the wad of lines at the end.

I was wondering if any of you have ever tried this and what your result was.

My boat struggled when we all slalomed so this is not a viable option. I also think it is best to keep the excess line with the skiier until it is all payed out to avoid a mess in the boat.

stevo137
08-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Watch out for the wise a** who finds a way to have the shorter line. If possible, have a chaser boat following at a safe distance.

bradamerry
08-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Ok, I posted this on the old board and I don't think anybody believed it. But here it goes. I saw a 75' SN(350) pull up 11 people mostly kids about 9yrs. old. I skied behind a 79' SN(351) that pulled up 9, mostly the same kids. And for you MC lovers, my cousin pulled up 13(one on slalom), mostly the same kids, with an 84' S&S powerslot(351). Now all those kids could ski well for their age and it did take the boat awhile to get everybody up. Believe it or not, it did happen.

Leroy
08-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Not that I doubt anything, but let's see pix of who pulls the most!

That would be an awesome sight 13 skiers behind a boat!

BriEOD
08-19-2004, 08:34 AM
I agree Leroy that would be cool.

T Scott
08-19-2004, 09:14 AM
I used to ski on a water ski show team and we occasionally used my 1992 Prostar 190 (285hp 1:1 tranny) at practices and shows. The best I can remember was 6 men up on a slalom for "around the boats", 10 people off a dock for pyramid and 7 guys stepping off a slalom to barefoot. The boat may have been capable of more.......we didn't push it. :)

OhioProstar
08-19-2004, 10:15 AM
I was also on a show team and the most we ever had was 11, 7 for the pyramid and 4 flag people. Everyone went off the dock with flat bottom wooden skis. It was a '79 SN with a 351W. I have had 5 behind my MC190 without much problem. In Ohio you need a chase boat for anything more than two. KY doesn't have that requirement.

east tx skier
08-19-2004, 11:29 AM
That many skiers is why the power slot and the 454 were options back in the day (yes, I know the slot is still an option).

Dan K
08-19-2004, 12:46 PM
I should have added that my 81 is a powerslot. We also had a chase boat to check on downed skiiers and to pick up the dropped skies.

AirJunky
08-19-2004, 03:03 PM
I was involved in an attempt to get 120 skiers up behind a 130' ferry a few years ago..... http://airjunky.com/record/

The ferry boat was jet powered & with 120 anchors tied out back, it couldn't get any water in it's intake so the jet was running dry. Consequently, it was not successfull, a hell of a lot of fun riding 10' above the water on the booms though!! And we did manage to get 15 hydrofoil riders up. Would have had 30 but one gal took out a whole side.

And you thought 7 ropes was a hassle..... try 3 groups of 40 ropes.... each one over 400' long!! :eek:

We've also done 9, 13 & 14 foil riders behind more conventional v-drive boats.

east tx skier
08-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Can somebody post the picture of that MC cruise liner-looking thing (forgot the name of it) with all the skiers behind it?

MasterCrafting
08-19-2004, 07:53 PM
We have a 92 PS190 1:1 13x13 and pulled up 6 slalom skiers. The more advanced skiers poped right up but the newbies had some trouble with the drag. I dont know if we could do more but we ran out of skiers. We also had two barefooters behind it no problem (obviously) but we dont have anymore capeable. I think the hardest thing was getting 6 ropes on that small pylon. We tried attaching all the ropes to one rope with a carabiner but the small leader snapped and we all fell :noface: Skiing with alot of people is really fun but can be dangerous so be safe and have fun!

Dan K
08-19-2004, 11:08 PM
The key is getting all the prep work done first. Making sure line length are equal is probably one of the biggest safety factors. We spend a good deal of time getting all the ropes to be the same as the shortest rope we had, 15' off. I would have like to have everyone on longer lines but as I first said this was improptu.
I got the biggest kick out off watching the excitement in the younger kids that participated.

André
08-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Last Sunday.A friend's family,they were all so excited it was moving!
New lake record too!If the rain can stop,will try to improve it this week end!

BriEOD
08-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Andre is that behind your boat?

André
08-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Yes it is.They all pop out of the water easily on the first try.
I think the boat could have easily pulled another 4 skiers.

BriEOD
08-21-2004, 09:11 PM
That's pretty cool. How's work going?