PDA

View Full Version : Just bought one of those Deep-V handles

NSXBill
07-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Going to try to get the 8 yr old daughter up on one ski tomorrow. She can do it on the boom, but not with a 5 foot line, so we'll see.

MarkP
07-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Let us know how it works out.. Iím working on my 8 yr old this summer too

NSXBill
07-23-2004, 05:08 PM
I'll post pics Monday.

east tx skier
07-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Best teaching tool in the world. Takes all the effort out of it. You're going to dig it.

Farmer Ted
07-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Bill,

What kind of ski is she using? I'd like to hear about this as my daughter says she wants to try but so far hasn't taken up any offers to try....

Ryan
07-24-2004, 04:33 AM
My wife is starting to improve on her four short years of slalom skiing. She swears it's mostly due to her deep V handle.

I am also converting some of the old schoolers in the family a little at a time. Many still like the double handles for keeping the ski in while they get up, and for pulling over their heads to take up slack. In about ten more years some of them may try a normal handle when they give up their ski belts. :p

NSXBill
07-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Well the handle didn't work out so great...yet. I think it was driver (me) error. I probably should have pulled her up a little harder. Even with the V, she was still getting her ski over sideways. Once I started moving, the tension in the V didn't seem to be enough to keep her ski centered (her positioning wasn't correct, and we're working on it).

Keep in mind that we are using this on a boom, so the handle/rope (about 6' long) IS angled up, not flat in the water. This may be part of the problem...or at least be lessening its effectiveness.

She does fine with the boom and skis behind the boat on those little tied-together skis. But we haven't been able to get her up on one with a 5-foot line...yet.

Ted, the ski is one of a pair of HO youth combos, 59", I think. I just got them at Sports Authority, but Galyans (probably not a common store) has them also...$100-110 for a pair. These skis are too big for her to ski on two, but one works well (on the boom so far). She's a normal 8-yr old, kinda on the skinny side though, weight-wise.

Once you graduate from the tied-together little wood skis, the choices are somewhat limited because the youth skis are much bigger. 57" were the smallest youth combos I saw, and I would have had to order those.

Next, I will probably put her back on the boom with the one ski, and pull her up harder and go faster to get her used to a harder pull. Then I will try the V again, this time pulling her up harder.

east tx skier
07-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Just a quick aside about how I found out about these handles. We'd just bought our first boat, an I/O, from my father-in-law. He'd thrown in some vests and handles. We got out on the lake, thrown the rope out, and gave it a go. My wife was driving and I was in the water. I couldn't get up on one stick for the life of me. Time after time, my ski would fall off to the right. Actually, it was getting pushed off to the right by this funky handle he'd given us. On one try, I finally decided to stick my ski through the deep-v, and whadayaknow, up sans effort. Felt pretty dumb afterwards.

Bill, I almost asked if she was putting her ski inside the V based on my misuse of the rope. I've never seen someone put a skier 5 feet off a boom. Where does that put her in relation to the boat? It might be that the boat wake is hitting the ski and making it too unstable. We always learned at 60 feet. Our last two times at ski school, we've had a new slalom skier in the group. They always start them on the boom, and once they get comfortable on the ski, they move them back to 15off and do the deep water start.

Just a thought. Keep trying. It was a patient man who spent hours on end to get me up on a slalom ski. In the end, it was a double handled rope (Deep V would've been better) and an old, flat-bottom, wooden slalom ski with a huge metal fin on it.

For first time up on slalom, those new wide body skis are the way to go. Apart from that, if you can find a shorter, flat-bottom, wooden ski on ebay, I'd grab one as a trainer.

DanC
07-26-2004, 04:50 PM
NSXBill, I have found the 5 foot bridle off the boom to be tricky. With the short rope length, a small missalignment of the skier with the boom and rope is a large missalignment of the angle of pull on the skier. Doug also points out a good one, watch out for the side spray as the skier starts to come up. The 5 foot bridle puts the skier back further and into the side spray sooner. My teaching progression is 1) dry land or in the boat, practice pulling the skier up with a handle from the ready position. This way you can really show them the correct positions and they can get a feel for the pull of a handle 2) holding directly onto the boom, get really comfortable. 3) try the 5 foot bridle of the boom, make sure the boom is really high, play it by ear. It sometimes can be more difficult than it is worth in the leaning progression. 4) Long line with the v-bridle, remember, when in doubt, try a slower pull. I swear every time I think a faster pull will work better, the slower pull gets them up :headbang:

NSXBill
07-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Yeah Dan, I hear what you're saying. However, both of my kids have already made all the transitions: boom, boom w 5-ft line, long line behind boat...on two skis. Spray doesn't seem to be an issue. She's just having a harder time with the one ski and the 5-ft line. I've used this same progression several times with kids and adults, but not 5 and 8 yr olds. I think she needs more time with one ski on the boom. But I'll take advice anytime...

Thanks

DanC
07-26-2004, 07:21 PM
NSXBill, is she standing up and the ski is going off to the side or is the ski getting off to the side before she stands up? If it is the later, try putting the boom (handle end) up higher. If it is the former you might try going right to the long line. Sounds like you have a big enough ski. Always use the biggest ski you can fit their feet in. Also, at that age a little dry land refresher lesson (have them squat down on the ground in the slalom start position holding the handle. You slowly pull them up by the handle, ensuring correct body position) can help the muscle memory.

But, it sounds like I'm telling you things you already know. Glad to hear you're making use of that ECI boom, what's your opinion of it now?

NSXBill
07-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Its the latter. Here's a pic on the boom before the V handle.

Prostar19
07-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Bill,

Have you tried that ski handle with the deep V. Helps keep the ski straight when starting. I have used it to teach a few people and it worked great.
http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/large.cgi?10407

east tx skier
07-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Looks like he's already got one of those.

Prostar19
07-28-2004, 05:33 PM
oops guess I should have read all the post. Oh well at least that will help me get rid of that Newbie thing quicker!!

DanC
07-28-2004, 08:54 PM
NSX Bill, that looks really good to me :) If she is good enough on the boom to look over at the camera and smile :headbang: then I would probably go to the long line with the v handle. I really think the 5 foot bridle on the boom can get super-critical with the angles.

OhioProstar
08-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Bill have you tried having her drop a ski to get the feeling of balacing on one yet? My wife, her friends, and all her family didn't ski at all until I bought my '88 SN in 99. Since then they all slalom. Once you have them on a long line with two it seems easiest to teach them to pick up a ski to find which leg is best for them and then after that is determined...drop the ski and slowly put the foot back into the rear binding. The deep water start is then pretty easy to teach if you can have them visualize putting weight through the middle of the ski and once they get up they know how to manage.....teaching hard turns is a different story.

NSXBill
10-13-2004, 01:46 PM
DanC, I took your advice. She's been tearing it up for over a month now. She is now constantly cutting from side to side :)