PDA

View Full Version : Prop pitted with greenish spots

fentong
02-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Hello, I was considering buying a used spare prop when I noticed that it had some greenish spots on one of the blades which appears on both sides of the blade leading edge. I assume that this is pitting and would need to be repaired for optimal performance. Does anyone know why a prop would pit like this and does it indicate that it's perhaps been repaired inadequately? Is it material to the performance at all?

I was going to pick this prop up for an all round use prop and get a specialty low pitch ballast prop from Eric at OJ. However when I noticed the pitting on this used prop I'd like to get your input.

Please let me know what you think.

FrankSchwab
02-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Looks like very slight corrosion - perhaps some Windex overspray, or some Hull Cleaner splash.
Compared to what's going to happen to it in the water, that's no big deal at all. No repair necessary.

If you hang around here very long, you'll see lots of pictures of props that look like they were used to break up concrete - busted off blades and tips, bent tips, ripped up tips, etc. For most, the owner's comment is something along the lines of "it vibrates a little bit, but works just fine; should I get it fixed?". For yours, just ignore it. If you're not sure, ask Eric.

/frank

TMCNo1
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
From what I hear, going green is the "now thing' to combat Global Warming (aka, Algore Syndrome), so I wouldn't worry about it.:D

fentong
02-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I wasn't sure if this was a result of a previous repair. As you can see from this shot the forward side of the blade was ground / buffed after CNC'ing but perhaps that was just for final finishing and balancing at the factory (OJ). The thrust side of the propeller still appears to have all of the CNC marks intact.

Maristar210
02-03-2010, 08:58 AM
I have underwear that has the same issues and when I am not using them for a mainsail they too work fine.
:D

Maristar210
02-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Real question is does it vibrate, at all? at any speed? If not then you have no worries. crack a beer, make it two ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Real question is does it vibrate, at all? at any speed? If not then you have no worries. crack a beer, make it two ;)

Woo Hoo...............beer for breakfast!

east tx skier
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Just makes it more valuable. :)

daverbeck
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Classic color of copper corrosion. That said if there are no deep pits (don't see any in the pictures) I would not hesitate.