PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Orlando

Wake2wake
01-26-2010, 01:29 AM
I am moving to Orlando at the end of February because I am going to be attending Marine Mechanics Institute. I'm looking for any and all advice from those who live or have lived in Orlando. Good apartments, or bad ones to look out for. I do have a few friends already living in Orlando currently but don't want to be completely dependent on them for everything. Unfortunately I wont be able to bring my boat with me but am definitely still wanting to wakeboard all that I can. I'm looking at the year pass for OWC, but for the moment that is out of my price range at least until i get settled in.

Thanks for any help you all can give me,
Logan

jdl xstar
01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I just looked up the Marine Institute and see its on the south part of Orlando. I have only lived in the areas north of downtown so i don't know too much about that area except that there are a ton of apartment complexes around there. Good luck on the move. we'll be in touch.

shepherd
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Lucky man. Orlando is awesome, especially if you're into the watersports. It's been 5 years since I lived there but I lived on the south side on Lake Conway. So I'll throw in my $.02. It looks like the Institute is near OWC and Florida Mall. You should look for a place near the school to avoid the rush hour traffic. If you are OK with the traffic, the tolls will eat away at your money if you use the expressways. Avoid having to commute on I4 at all costs, though it is toll free. Avoid the apartments on Orange Blossom Trail and John Young Parkway north of Sand Lake Road as that area is pretty seedy. Either look south of the school or up north in downtown (but not on the west side of downtown). There seem to be some nice residential areas around the Universal Orlando area, which would be close to your school. There are lakes everywhere.

The area around Lake Conway is nice and it's not too far from the school. It's a nice public lake but can get crowded on the weekends. There are some apartment complexes around there and it's close to downtown. In fact, the downtown area is real nice if you can find a place there in your price range. Lots of good bars and restaurants filled with young people out partying. It's not too far from the school, maybe a 30 minute commute? For a younger crowd, there are a lot of apartments around UCF on the east side of town but you'll be looking at a long and potentially expensive commute.

Have fun!

Jerseydave
01-26-2010, 02:42 PM
More than once I've seen posts on wakeworld that people are looking for a room mate, often in a lakefront home. You may want to lurk over there, or better yet post that you're looking for a place to share with someone. Lyman started out sleeping in a tent for a year behind a house that Ben Greenwood stayed in........so you never know. :D

trickskier
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Congratulations and welcome to Florida!!!

Double D
01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Lucky Man! Have fun!!

VOLFAN
01-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Enjoy yourself while you down there going to school. Florida is a nice place.