PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicle...Escalade, Yukon Denali XL, Mercedes GL 350 or 450 or Sequoia

n9740b
01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Would anyone with any of these vehicle give some feedback. Planning on a road trip to the west coast and back from Chicago with a 5000lb boat over 5 weeks. Thanks.

KBryant2007
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I have a 2006 Sequoia 4x4, and a 2006 Tundra 4 door, and have had no trouble with pulling my Mastercraft.

bcampbe7
01-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Yukon Denali XL would get my vote.

Maristar210
01-22-2010, 01:57 PM
I have owned and towed a Maristar210 with a Yukon Denali. No problems whatsoever. Any of those would work well except for perhaps the MB

I found the escalade to be nothing much more than a spiffed up Yukon though so save yourself the $$$

ttu
01-22-2010, 01:58 PM
what year of vehicle are you looking at?

i owned a 05 sequoia and it towed alright, then a 07 tahoe and better. now i own a 08 sequoia with almost 10K towing and it's tows great.

Ski-me
01-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't know much about the Mercedes or Sequoia but either of the two GM vehicles would be great. I believe both would have the 6.2L engine and 6 speed auto. Should tow without any problem at all.

Why do you have so many choices? Are you planning to buy one of the vehicles or have access to using one? I would assume you would use it for other purposes too?

Sodar
01-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Toyota Sequoia

n9740b
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Looking to buy, thinking late summer to get closeout 2010, or a demo/used with <15k miles.

Do the Toyotas you guys have have the air suspension to level the truck? I know that is standard on the Caddy and Yukon, but an option on the Toyota.

n9740b
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
what year of vehicle are you looking at?

i owned a 05 sequoia and it towed alright, then a 07 tahoe and better. now i own a 08 sequoia with almost 10K towing and it's tows great.

Awesome looking setup....is that an x-15?

bcampbe7
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM

ttu has a 2007 X-2.

ttu
01-22-2010, 04:43 PM

i do have the air suspension.

thanks for the compliment. it's a x2.:D

bkblaida
01-22-2010, 05:11 PM
We own a Yukon XL 5.7 L and have towed over 20,000 miles (ProStar 205). Throughout the midwest not a problem. Towing through the Appalachian's several years ago was no picnic so the 6.2 L would be my choice for a cross country run.

Forrest-X45
01-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I would say Yukon XL Denali/Escalade ESV or Sequoia. Don't know much about GL's from a towing standpoint but I would guess the GM's and Toyota would be better. If you decide you want the Escalade definitely get the ESV for the longer wheelbase, it is much better for towing stability.

I owned a Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L and six speed and it was fantastic. Got great gas mileage given the power and performance and towed my 45 very well. I think the new GM large SUV's drive and ride extremely well and have great drive trains. I easy got over 18 mpg cruising the freeway at 75 mph +, tough to beat that and have the most HP and TQ.

n9740b
01-22-2010, 05:40 PM
The 6.2 is standard on the denali this year, and the same HP (400+) as the Caddy, and rated at 20mpg highway (it now has active fuel management/shuts off 4 cylinders, good for 1mpg). Better than any other big SUV out there, and it is the biggest, no real compromise, except for the rear seat, non fold flat issue.

TEAL98
01-22-2010, 05:42 PM
+1 for the GM SUVs. 02 Yukon 198k miles, DD, and can't complain one bit, especially with the air suspension! Soon to be retired late summer for a new one though... am also looking at the 'yotas myself as well tho...

ORX-1
01-22-2010, 05:53 PM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat%20and%20Car/CIMG1047-1.jpg

Tahoe does a great job, I think about how nice it would be to have a 2500 silverado or something but the Tahoe is good beacuse it can still be a daily driver in the city. Gets the worste gas mileage I have ever seen but oh well. can't tow with a prius!

n9740b
01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Wow, another awesome rig....I'm not normally a white truck guy, but it looks awesome with the white on the X2, awesome colors on the boat.

How much does the X2, tandom trailer, and extras weigh? About 5k?

I love the look of the Tahoe and it would be my first choice, but I decided if I'm going big, I might as well go BIG, an am leaning towards the XL Yukon (Suburban too, just like the Denali package). Doesn't seem to be much loss in going with the XL versions of these, except for the parking issue.

Also the less I have to fold/tumble the back row, the better. Having that extra space back there will be used.

ttu
01-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow, another awesome rig....I'm not normally a white truck guy, but it looks awesome with the white on the X2, awesome colors on the boat.

How much does the X2, tandom trailer, and extras weigh? About 5k?

I love the look of the Tahoe and it would be my first choice, but I decided if I'm going big, I might as well go BIG, an am leaning towards the XL Yukon (Suburban too, just like the Denali package). Doesn't seem to be much loss in going with the XL versions of these, except for the parking issue.

Also the less I have to fold/tumble the back row, the better. Having that extra space back there will be used.

5K is about right with gear. i liked my tahoe but i am just more of a toyota guy.

here is a pic when i had my tahoe.

ORX-1
01-22-2010, 06:21 PM
The X2 weighs in at 3500 then add your gear and fuel. I would assume you wouldn't get more than a thousand pounds. So maye 4500ish. The Tahoe does fine, You can feel it but not enough to move you around.

trickskier
01-22-2010, 06:24 PM
My Tahoe has 3:42 Gears and a 6-Speed Transmission - Pulls my X-1 with no problems.

dreddy
01-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I tow my 230 (x-30) loaded up to about 5k lbs with an 07 Tahoe with the 5.3 ltr. engine. We go up and down some quite steep mountain passes to local and regional lakes without issue. Had a less enjoyable experience with a 2004 5.7 ltr. Tahoe. The newer but smaller GM engine is great. A co-worker gets around the same terrain pulling a Malibu 247 with his Toyota Tundra 5.7 ltr. and loves it.

Plave
01-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Being in Europe I can't speak of the others but the Mercedes GL is awful.

I drive a Cayenne myself but I've tested all the 4x4's available here and the GL was the bottom of the pile for me, they don't sell well at all. I can't believe one of the others isn't better.

Joe in Dublin
01-22-2010, 09:13 PM
06 Tundra towin my 08 x2, the sequoia 5.7 would be sweet

Sodar
01-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Joe, I have seen you post over on tundrasolutions.com.

Jerseydave
01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm coming from a 2000 suburban K2500 to my new ride,
2007 Yukon XL Denali. I have not towed the X-star with it yet, but the 6.2 Liter 385 HP and 6-speed auto trans should make it a nice towing machine. (boat was winterized when I got the Denali in november so have to wait until spring to do some towing) Getting 17 mpg highway not towing.

The ride of the Denali is great, the leather interior is awesome, my 2 kids love their captains chairs and DVD system. Mine has all the options incl NAVI, backup camera (great for hitching up the boat), heated seats, heated steering wheel and power running boards.

I know BusstufJ on here tows his X-star with his Escalade XL and likes it.

These longer wheelbase GM SUV's are the way to go!

cdawake
01-22-2010, 10:18 PM
you've got it made if your choosing between those 3 (mercedes is no good)- all are SWEET rides, you can hardly go wrong.
I've driven a '10 escalade- there isnt hardly a thing I dont like about them- the controls took a bit to get used to.

I'm not sure about the new denali, i've only been in the '10 suburbans, and the fit and finish of those aren't great, and they are on the sluggish side out of these 3.

New sequoia bodystyle is awesome- it would be my choice. they designed that truck to drive 1000 miles a day with a 10,000lb trailer, and it really performs well. I drove an '08 and it was pretty nice, maybe a little more agile than the escalade. Test them all out- their all great trucks

Archimedes
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Among those, I'd choose the Avalanche.

TallRedRider
01-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Joe, I have seen you post over on tundrasolutions.com.

Sodar, I just picked up a 2010 Tundra. I am sure it is going to tow my 45 great, but have yet to get her towing the boat. It is terrific just as my daily driver right now. The MPG was a worry for me, but I get over 15 in town. It is very comfortable.

We owned a 2003 Sequoia and pulled my other brand 24 foot boat very well. Mileage dropped as expected, but the only thing that bothered me was the fuel tank was small. The tundra has a 26 gallon fuel tank. I would expect to get 11-12 MPG when towing and that limits my range a bit. But that is probably because I am spoiled with my other vehicle being a Diesel Excursion with a 42 gallon tank.

I found tundrasolutions.com to be a pretty sweet site.

This one isn't mine, but is close to it. I put a 3 inch leveling kit on the front and 1 inch on the rear. This one has only 2 inches on the front.

1970RSZ28
01-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Id go with the XL. You need the long wheel base and power. I pull my X45 with a 3/4 ton Suburban w/ the Big BLock 454. Heavy duty everthing, dont forget the brakes. When you need get on the binders, you dont want that weight and momentum pushing you into trouble. Very stable towing platform with loads of torque. Cant even notice youre pulling close to 3 tons. Look how the X45 dwarfs the Sub. In this case, size does matter. Only drawback, fuel consumption, about 10 mpg! Slurp! Slurp!

bkhallpass
01-23-2010, 04:01 PM
I have a 21 foot wake boat made by another manufacturer. Tandem trailer. Two years ago, I towed the boat from California to Wisconsin and back with My 2000 Yukon XL. The YXL had 145K miles on it at the time, and I had no issues. I took about 2.5 days each way, about 35 hours driving time each way. The truck has the 327 engine (5.4L???). I was pulling hard and fast across the Sierra Nevadas and the Rockies. I also took a detour up through the Black Hill of South Dakota to take the family by Mount Rushmore. Truck is still running strong today with about 180K miles. I would definitely buy another when this one finally gives up on me. BKH

deereman
01-23-2010, 08:12 PM
caddy or the yukon. the only differences are some minor styling on the front n back. both would pull your boat just fine. we have an 07 yukon xl with the 5.3 and it pulls our 190 like its not even there.

MC_SELECT
01-23-2010, 11:22 PM
three summers of hauling a x2 uphill and down hill to local lakes with a yukon denali xl has sold me.6.0L, cold air intake you only look back too see if cover is still on.

PT 1999 ProStar
01-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Its an '08 and pulls the boat up the Northwest Hills of CT like nothing else I've had! We had a Ford Expedition before the Tahoe - it was nice but nothing like the Tahoe! We love it!

87MCProstar
01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
PT 1999, where are you located in CT? I noticed you said something about NW Hills, I'm located in Torrington. Ski out of Highland and buddy has place @ Bantam.

PT 1999 ProStar
01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
PT 1999, where are you located in CT? I noticed you said something about NW Hills, I'm located in Torrington. Ski out of Highland and buddy has place @ Bantam.

Hey 87MC, I live in Simsbury but the family has a place in Goshen, CT on Tyler Lake. Ever been up there? Can't wait for ice to melt!!!

Jerseydave
01-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey you could always reprogram your Denali to add even more performance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buDB_CS0cTM

I love the exhaust note on mine too!

carracer
01-27-2010, 09:48 PM
buy Sequoia, now days 2008 thru 2010 cruise control works better than ever.

nmcjr
01-28-2010, 12:41 AM
I tow with a '07 Escalade I just bought used and am really impressed with how well it tows, and by way of comparison my other tow vehicle is a Duramax. Of course, the Duramax tows better, but the Escalade is great, 100% satisfied with it and its a great ride as a daily driver too. (If you're curious, my wife drives the Duramax so I need my own tow vehicle!) On long trips I would still use the Duramax because I think it will get better mileage towing, but thats the only reason I would choose it over the Escalade.

Now, that said, a friend of mine has the new Tundra (07 I think), and I am impressed with it also. He tows a 2007 SAN with it no problem and I drove it once and it has tons of power. I think the Sequoia has a similar/same power train and running gear (5.7 Liter ~400HP I believe) and if so, I would think it would be similar to the Escalade in towing performance. For me I just preferred the Escalade styling, so I think the Denali, Escalade and Sequoia would all be equal from a towing performance standpoint, and the choice would be one of price and styling/preference.

87MCProstar
01-28-2010, 08:34 AM
PT1999, yeah I've been there a bunch. My buddy who has in-laws on Bantam, his family owns a house on Tyler, The Marchands. TRBenj is also on Tyler and I was able to ski with Tim once too.

PT 1999 ProStar
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
PT1999, yeah I've been there a bunch. My buddy who has in-laws on Bantam, his family owns a house on Tyler, The Marchands. TRBenj is also on Tyler and I was able to ski with Tim once too.

87 MC, sure I know the Marchands Family. I know Timmy and his family very well! I ski with them every weekend and week day (when possible). They are the ones who taught me how to foot a few years back! Great bunch of people. Tim and his family have a fleet of natiques that just keeps growing and growing...its amazing. Maybe we'll get you up there again this summer!

flipper
01-28-2010, 10:38 AM
I have an '07 Yukon with the 5.3 and tows no problem.

h2oskifreak
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't do the Benz"s too short of wheel base amongst other things.

TallRedRider
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
buy Sequoia, now days 2008 thru 2010 cruise control works better than ever.

HAHAHA! Very clever.

Can you say...'recall'?

MYMC
01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't do the Benz"s too short of wheel base amongst other things.
Really?

Here at the dealership we have 3 MBZ SUVs and we earn our living with them...currently we use a GL450, GL320 & ML500 all of them tow boats on a daily basis. We have towed boats to the FL Keys as well as up state NY (complete with snow and ice) with no issue. We do not tow anything bigger than an X-Star behind the ML but the GLs have towed everything up to and including the X55 with absolutely no issue. Combined the vehicles currently have 200,000+ miles between them and have never suffered a failure. For big boats we use a Ford Super duty.

The stability program in the MBZ is one of the best on the market, combined with the self leveling air suspension it makes a great tow vehicle. The short coming is that it is not pre-wired for a brake controller (not an issue with an MC trailer), and the computer has issues with LED lights (simple fix due to current draw). Lastly the MBZ is expensive to maintain as MBZ views brake rotor wear on the level of brake pads and as such they are worn out in pairs and get expensive when faced with replacing all 4 at once.

I have had the GL literally save my life and therefore I am brand loyal. My sales manager Lee was hit broadside in the ML last year, he and his passenger walked away while the driver of the other vehicle was taken by ambulance with serious injuries...Lee will tell you the MBZ suffered minor damage while the other car was totaled. He is a convert and since has purchased a MBZ for his long time girl friend. Every MBZ I have owned or currently own has been everything it was advertised to be and in most cases more.

uncleboo
01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
I agree with MYMC, the MBZ are the real deal. The diesel engine in the GL's is outstanding. The Bluetec's get great mileage for such a big suv and have tons of torque. The gas versions are fine too, but I am partial to the very quiet diesel. Don't hate on them because they are mainly seen in mall parking lots. Yes, they have a big price tag, but also have a ridiculous amount of technology built into them as well. High maintenance costs, but manageable if you do the regular preventative work. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I have driven them and built them. I worked at the plant in AL and have seen them work first hand. You wouldn't go wrong with a MBZ built in the USA.

MYMC
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree with MYMC, the MBZ are the real deal. The diesel engine in the GL's is outstanding. The Bluetec's get great mileage for such a big suv and have tons of torque. The gas versions are fine too, but I am partial to the very quiet diesel. Don't hate on them because they are mainly seen in mall parking lots. Yes, they have a big price tag, but also have a ridiculous amount of technology built into them as well. High maintenance costs, but manageable if you do the regular preventative work. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I have driven them and built them. I worked at the plant in AL and have seen them work first hand. You wouldn't go wrong with a MBZ built in the USA.
Great points and thanks for building mine!

One last point I'll make about the GL320 diesel...we just traded one, two years old and got every dime we paid for it on trade. As a matter of fact I drove it to CarMax to see what would happen and they offered the same amount to the penny. If you buy new they have you sign an agreement to not sell overseas for one year...truly an in demand vehicle that is holding its value! Name another SUV doing that these days.

X25 ED
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
without any doubt the MB is the best, I drive a G type myself but also drove the ml and r type. All permanent 4 wheel drive and the r type with air suspension is you tow often it is a perfect option.

No better tow car the the MB 4 wd.

bigboattower
08-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I am looking to buy a 2010/2011 new Yukon Denali XL AWD. Can you tell me if you recommend AWD or 4 wheel drive to pull a 30 foot Sea Ray boat. Currently I tow it with a 4 wheel drive 2008 suburban LTZ. On my suburban I can switch to 2 wheel, 4 wheel low or 4 wheel high. There have times on the boat ramp where I have switch to 4 low because the ramp is wet or full of algae.

Will the AWD on the Yukon Denali XL be able to handle pulling the boat out of the water on steep boat ramps like my suburban does? My concern is on my suburban I can switch it to 4 wheel Low on the Denali I do not know how it works with AWD since there is no switch. Any thoughts??

nmcjr
08-15-2010, 11:42 PM
How much does the sea ray weigh? I have the AWD Escalade and it pulls my boat up any ramp without the slightest issue, wet, muddy etc.. Of course mine only weighs about 4000# but that 6.2 has tons of power, so I don't think you would ever need the 4L. Its a great truck, my favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

Wake2004
08-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Friend of mine pulls a 33' travel trailer with his all over sandy beaches AWD system is amazing.

timvan
08-16-2010, 08:14 AM
if you really want to TOW get rid of the gas and get a coal burner.

I can tow the 230 loaded with gear (maybe 500 lbs) and a full tank of gas (370 lbs) like its a lawn mower trailer and cruise at 100 mph with ease..
oh yeah...and get 18mpg while doing so :)