01-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Where are we going? :(:mad:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/21/supreme-corporate-spending-business-court.html

Maristar210
01-22-2010, 09:56 AM
oh sure great news... :rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
01-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Just when you think maybe the tide is starting to turn....

shepherd
01-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Ok, I'll jump.

What's wrong with it?

Patrick Hardy
01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I thought that it is bad enough to have our politicians bought off AFTER they were elected, but now they will be paid for before they even start to get elected.

TX.X-30 fan
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
What is wrong with it?

TX.X-30 fan
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
By the way TX.X-30.................... nice boots!

jwchapman
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I believe this is a good ruling that levels the playing field for all groups of people in our great republic. Please read throught the entire ruling and you will find some interesting info.

The now overturned law exempted newspapers (which are for-profit organizations - often owned by larger companies with multiple interests). Why should they be exempted and be able to express their opinions while other companies could not?

Unions were also barred - they can now express their opinions on the same footing as corporations.

Most importantly - disclosure of who is paying for the expressed opinions is still required. Free speech, with disclosure on who is speaking, is the bedrock of our society. The court recognizes this and also recognizes that no entity, including congress, has the power to prohibit this right. As Dennis Miller said - A strong First Amendment gives you David Duke, a weak one Adolph Hitler - which one do you want?

shepherd
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Right, jw. Also, I'd attribute the democrats' and Obama's recent success mostly to the popular media and movie stars and celebrities like Oprah who weren't operating under the same restrictions as corporations.

Awesome boots TX!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
I believe this is a good ruling that levels the playing field for all groups of people in our great republic. Please read throught the entire ruling and you will find some interesting info.

The now overturned law exempted newspapers (which are for-profit organizations - often owned by larger companies with multiple interests). Why should they be exempted and be able to express their opinions while other companies could not?

Unions were also barred - they can now express their opinions on the same footing as corporations.

Most importantly - disclosure of who is paying for the expressed opinions is still required. Free speech, with disclosure on who is speaking, is the bedrock of our society. The court recognizes this and also recognizes that no entity, including congress, has the power to prohibit this right. As Dennis Miller said - A strong First Amendment gives you David Duke, a weak one Adolph Hitler - which one do you want?

You may have valid points, however, I would exercise more caution than to try to reinforce your points with a quote from Dennis Miller.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
By the way TX.X-30.................... nice boots!

Those fine boots must be for dress. Can't the one you use for wading through all the political BS thats out there.

captain planet
01-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Good points, however how many unions are left in our country that can really afford to put up as much money as corporations? Also, disclosure is only as good as the person looking into it. The majority of people are stupid and only look at a message on the surface rather than looking into who is putting out the message. This works both ways for either criminal party....I mean either political party.:rolleyes:

This should have gone the exact opposite way. Just another way to empower the companies rather than the people. :mad:

bcampbe7
01-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Good points, however how many unions are left in our country that can really afford to put up as much money as corporations? Also, disclosure is only as good as the person looking into it. The majority of people are stupid and only look at a message on the surface rather than looking into who is putting out the message. This works both ways for either criminal party....I mean either political party.:rolleyes:

This should have gone the exact opposite way. Just another way to empower the companies rather than the people. :mad:

Stop right there... One union (left) is too many. :)

Did I say that out loud?

Maristar210
01-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Unions blow

MYMC
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
As if any of this makes any real difference...the lobbyists will continue & career politicians will profit. This sad joke will continue with business as usual...and we'll all keep paying the bill until there is nothing left but our bad credit...oh wait we are already there.

shepherd
01-22-2010, 02:08 PM

What "people" are you pitting the companies against?

Companies give the people jobs so they can feed their families. Companies build the ships and planes that protect the people and make this the most powerful nation on earth. Companies make the gas that you people need to run your ski boat. Investment in those companies and their future success will allow most of us gainfully employed people to hopefully retire comfortably with our 401Ks or IRAs. I personally think that American corporations should have an equal voice in supporting candidates as the folks in Hollywood and New York City.

Maybe you are talking about "the people" who don't have jobs or other stakes in our country's corporations, and rely on the Government to take care of them? Like they do in China and certain people in our Congress are trying to do.

shepherd
01-22-2010, 02:08 PM
As if any of this makes any real difference...the lobbyists will continue & career politicians will profit. This sad joke will continue with business as usual...and we'll all keep paying the bill until there is nothing left but our bad credit...oh wait we are already there.

Dude, you're bringing me down man. :cool: ;)

bcampbe7
01-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Companies give the people jobs so they can feed their families. Companies build the ships and planes that protect the people and make this the most powerful nation on earth. Companies make the gas that you people need to run your ski boat. Investment in those companies and their future success will allow most of us gainfully employed people to hopefully retire comfortably with our 401Ks or IRAs. I personally think that American corporations should have an equal voice in supporting candidates as the folks in Hollywood and New York City.

Maybe you are talking about "the people" who don't have jobs or other stakes in our country's corporations, and rely on the Government to take care of them? Like they do in China and certain people in our Congress are trying to do.

Well said! :cool:

captain planet
01-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Are these the same companies that have lobbied to congress to get NAFT so they could move thier production lines to Mexico and China to make more money at the expense of the quality of life for Americans? Are these the same companies that lobby to go to war so they can build more ships, bullets, and planes to keep us safe from a war they perpetuated?

I'm certainly not talking about the people who find ways to not get a job and sponge off of us, I'm talking about the people that HAD jobs who can't find work now and are FORCED to sponge off of us because of the acts of these companies who can now shove MORE propoganda down our throats because they can afford to. (I know that is one long run-on sentence...but you get the point :o)

The system is broken, this "judgment" is just another straw.

shepherd
01-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Some of those companies did take advantage of NAFTA, probably because they were so over-regulated by the Government and strangled by the unions that they didn't have any other choice if they wanted to remain competitive. And some of those companies give generous donations to schools to teach us to avoid run-on sentences. :D They also support certain college football teams so they can beat Michigan 5 years in a row.:mad:

MYMC
01-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Dude, you're bringing me down man. :cool: ;)
Sorry...I just call it like I see it.

Are these the same companies that have lobbied to congress to get NAFT so they could move thier production lines to Mexico and China to make more money at the expense of the quality of life for Americans? Are these the same companies that lobby to go to war so they can build more ships, bullets, and planes to keep us safe from a war they perpetuated?

I'm certainly not talking about the people who find ways to not get a job and sponge off of us, I'm talking about the people that HAD jobs who can't find work now and are FORCED to sponge off of us because of the acts of these companies who can now shove MORE propoganda down our throats because they can afford to. (I know that is one long run-on sentence...but you get the point :o)

The system is broken, this "judgment" is just another straw.

I think we should adopt "what have you done for me lately" as the new national motto.

WE the consumers of the United States drive this...we want our portfolio to go up while prices go down. The only way to do this is to find some shlub in a 3rd word country (or China) and pay them .17 cents an hour. IF we produced anything in this country beside military technology and debt we would be able to benefit by selling it; however since .17cents doesnt buy much when made at $25.00 the imbalance grows.

BTW...we have one thing the world needs...food...maybe we should start charging for it? Or better yet stop paying farmers to not farm.

Let me get off this common sense train it is making me dizzy.

east tx skier
01-22-2010, 06:34 PM
What I'm really not looking forward to is exponentially more inane political ads than we had before.

TX.X-30 fan
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Well said! :cool:

Ditto!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Schlub seems insensitive.

Unkempt in appearance, either due to lack of effort or lack of awareness. The opposite of metrosexual.
He's a nice enough guy, but he's sort of a schlub.