PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard tower

Cheech
06-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Does anyone know about the "big Air" towers. I saw them in wakeboard mag and they are selling real cheap! what the deal????

Cheech
06-16-2005, 12:26 AM
the web sight for it is bigairpylons.com i'm not trying to plug it i just want to know if they are crap or what?

MarkP
06-16-2005, 01:00 AM
They look cool?? I havenít heard anything good or bad about them though..

erkoehler
06-16-2005, 01:26 AM
Haven't heard of them before, are they a new company? Feedback is really important and it doesn't seem like they are getting much whether it be positive or negative.

You get what you pay for....

jake
06-16-2005, 09:22 AM
What made me decide against the big-air was the several places they are bolted together rather than welded. This gives it the "universal fit" capabilities....but it sounded to me to be a source for potential rattles. On the other hand the price is right.

Monster towers seem to have the best feedback in the bargain tower space. I have seen a monster tower in person and they are very well built.

wesgardner
06-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey Cheech,

I'm over at WakeBoarder.com fairly often and have read several reviews on towers in general as I'll be purchasing next year. I'm going with LoudLiquid's T-1 for about $1500 complete with racks. I think you'll find Monster and BigAir to be "budget" priced (as well as LL) then pricing jumps considerably...

I've not ridden behind any so I'm just working from what others have said....I've not heard anything against BigAir in fact, the folks who have them say "right on"....

If money was not an issue, I'd go with a top of the line ALL welded built-for-my-boat tower (not universal)////

Went with BigAir - best price/availability

Wes

adkins1966
06-18-2005, 11:12 PM
I've recently had a monster tower installed for this season and am extremely happy with the results. Had it out on the water this weekend for the first time and everything is perfect. Riding on an 89' tristar 190. Monster tower was the way for me.

T Scott
06-18-2005, 11:56 PM
I just bought and installed a Big Air tower on my 2000 205 VRS and love it. It is absolutely rock solid and dosent make a bit of noise. It was relatively easy to install and is definitely priced right. I paid just under $1000 which included shipping to my door. I did have a few questions during installation and I had to "leave a message" with customer service for someone to call me back. I figured it would be days before I heard from anyone, if even at all. However, my cell phone rang 10 minutes later and I had Rene' from Big Air on the line. This woman knows her stuff and knew the answer to my installation question off the top of her head.
All in all, I would definitely recommend this tower and company to anyone. They, as well as their product have been top notch from start to finish.

SteveO
06-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Some crazy pics on the big air site like this one

fly4food
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I just installed the Big Air Wakeboard tower on my club's 2000 Prostar 195. The tower looks great and is rock solid...not a single squeak out of it! We got the black powder coated tower delivered for under $1000. (Purchased it during the winter sale.) I'm very happy with the purchase!

Took three people about 8 hours to install. The directions are fair. Drilling the stainless steel does take forever. The drill bits they included were a waste of time. I bought a couple of titanium bits that sped things up quite a bit.

One note about the powder coating. They'd applied ours fairly thick, and the top tubes that slide inside one-another didn't easily slide inside one another. We had to strip some of the coating off to get it to work.

beatle78
05-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Got any pics of the Big Air towers on your MC boats?

etakk7
05-17-2007, 09:49 PM
there's a big pic of the tower on a 2000 205V at http://bigairpylons.com/TowerMorePics.htm

beatle78
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
nice, is that tower is less than $1,000? It's actually not that bad looking. Much nicer than the Monster tower. I don't like the bimini, but you can always order a nicer looking one.

R Dreikorn
05-18-2007, 06:04 PM
I put a big air tower in a 19 foot stingray 2 years ago. They are well made and relativly simple to install but drilling all the wholes is time consuming. It allows for any look you want, you can set the rake any angle you want, which was a real positive thing. I put a XTP tower on my current 91 maristar and it was a little easier than the big air tower but more expensive.... pay your money, make your choice !

BrianM
05-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Those look descent for a budget priced tower. No offence to anyone but the Monster towers are just ugly.

chevy08bud
05-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I have a Big Air tower that came with my 94 205 when I bought it. I really like the looks, especially for the price, and they can be folded within a matter of a few seconds with two people, or a minute or two by yourself. The front legs remove with 3 pins and it makes it nice if you have garage clearance issues. I thought that when I saw the screws and pins in this thing that it would squeak and rattle and be loud as hell, but it is as solid and quiet as any tower that I have been behind. Not that I've been behind many, but you can tell that this thing is well built. I'd have no problem buying another one, unless I was going to spend at least twice as much and go with a ND tower.

kbrum
06-11-2007, 06:59 AM
New dimensions makes a much better looking tower. They are a designer for MC and have exact fits for most all MC. Installing took me less than two hours, two people. It almost took longer to take off the fantastic shipping protection than it did to install. They follow the windshield line and look much better. Easily fold down for a 7' door and are rock solid.

jscheule
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Which boat do you need a tower for? I have a used NDT for a 98-00 Maristar 230 if anyone needs it.

maristarman
06-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Any chance that will fit an 01 Maristar 230? If you look at a 00 and 01 side by side they look pretty similar.

Anybody know what the difference is?

jscheule
06-11-2007, 12:00 PM
if yours looks like this, it will definately fit.

http://www.raysmarina-rv.com/images/10853D.JPG

maristarman
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Thats what it looks like.

Please PM me with the asking price, and also any idea on shipping that thing..

Jkelly
06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I like the look and fit of the 13thFloor towers myself.

funk
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a big air tower on my 86 ps190. Installed very easy and I've been very happy with it. They provide "pins" though for many joints and I've had an issue with them backing out so I replaced them with stainless bolts. I do have an issue of the powdercoating coming off in a few locations but overall and for the price, I'm happy with it!

river_ryder
06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Good thread. These are the towers I was looking at for a Maristar 240, because of the universal adjustability.

http://www.bigairpylons.com/Tower.htm

These are trick also : http://www.tricktowers.com/

wesgardner
06-26-2007, 10:01 AM
River Ryder,

Here's a couple of pics of my M240 w/ Big Air tower and homemade speaker cans. The tower, powdercoated black with two board racks was $1650 delivered to my door, tough to beat!

river_ryder
06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
That looks killer! I cant wait. How did you make the speaker housings?

djpruitt
07-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey Funk, can you post some pics of where your tower mounts to the decking? How do you determine where the mounting points should be on the deck; should the front bracket be a certain number or inches in front of the windshield? I saw on the vendor site they say you should have between 42 and 48 inches between front and rear mounts so I am trying to figure out if you center this distance based on the windshield or something else. Thanks

JayM3
07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey..i am new to team talk but i just bought a 93 pro star 190 and i have a tower from bigairpylons.com. Anybody got any pointers on putting it on?

wesgardner
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Use sharp drills, put down a tarp - you'll have metal filings EVERYWHERE - takes all day to do...don't hurry, get it right.

The position fore and aft is NOT critical - mostly up to your eye....think about access to the boards once it's mounted - can you grab one off the rack without too much trouble - my boat is huge with lots of room so it's not an issue. I photochopped the tower onto my boat so I had a pretty good idea where it was going to be mounted. You may want to consider assembling the thing using blue tape to hold it roughly in shape and positioning on the boat as a final check BEFORE drilling - I did it this way and it worked fine.

My speaker cans are made from 6" pvc pipe with end caps glued on - I made a small mounting piece out of wood so the speaker will bolt up to the underside of a piece of aluminum rectangular tube

http://www.shop.com/Genova_40156_6_Cap_Sewer_Draub_-13527953-~0-o!.shtml

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7901&step=4&showunits=inches

Couple of links for speaker can stuff...