PDA

View Full Version : VW Touareg Navigation Unit???

skeeler
01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Hey all! I know a few of you have VW Touaregs, and was wondering if I could trouble you for some information.
I just purchased a 2010 Touareg. (Pick it up tomorrow, they are doing a clear chip guard, window tint, and towing package on it now.) It basically has all the options except the TDI and the navigation unit. I have been looking around for a front Monitor/Nav unit. I have a Clarion unit now, that I pulled out of the vehicle I just turned for the end of the lease. But I am hesitant to use it because of the loss of steering controls, integration, and over all look of not blending in.
I have both good and bad on the unit below. I mean for the money, looks like a great unit. 80% of the time I am going to be using it for FM and ipod playback, 15% DVD playback, and about 5% for Navigation.
Anyone have any other input on these type of units?
Thanks guys!!! Shawn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220505440305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3580wt_941

SkiDog
01-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey all! I know a few of you have VW Touaregs, and was wondering if I could trouble you for some information.
I just purchased a 2010 Touareg. (Pick it up tomorrow, they are doing a clear chip guard, window tint, and towing package on it now.) It basically has all the options except the TDI and the navigation unit. I have been looking around for a front Monitor/Nav unit. I have a Clarion unit now, that I pulled out of the vehicle I just turned for the end of the lease. But I am hesitant to use it because of the loss of steering controls, integration, and over all look of not blending in.
I have both good and bad on the unit below. I mean for the money, looks like a great unit. 80% of the time I am going to be using it for FM and ipod playback, 15% DVD playback, and about 5% for Navigation.
Anyone have any other input on these type of units?
Thanks guys!!! Shawn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220505440305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3580wt_941
Ske, I don't think VW had a nav system back when I had my VW. lets see, it was a 72 convertible. Nah, they weren't around back then.:D:D Sorry I wasn't more help.

Ski-me
01-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Who makes this one? It looks like Panasonic makes the screen but the guts?? Once you find out the specifics, check to see how compatible it is for your VW. A lot of companies offer a steering wheel adaptor, xm antenna adaptor, etc but you really need to find out how this unit integrates into your specific truck. Also, are you going to have to do a lot of wire clipping to the factory harness to make this work or is it plug-and-play?

There are so many components that are tied together these days it may not be as straight forward as it use to be.....especially with the VW. I've heard they have all kinds of electrics.....

Check with your local stereo shop and see how complicated the VW is and what Nav units they are putting into these. This will also answer if they have steering wheel controls, "VW onstar" if they have such a thing, etc.

Good luck. I'd research pretty heavily before buying something like that overseas......

bcampbe7
01-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I installed a Kenwood unit in our Yukon and love it. IMHO, it looks better than the factory NAV available for the model year I have and allows more functionality.

Steering wheel controls were saved via a PAC SWI-JACK interface. Works great, but is vehicle/unit specific from what I remember.

The Kenwood is also very easy to bypass the no DVD up front viewing aspect when driving down the road. No I don't watch movies while driving but it is very helpful being able to see what you are doing while starting the kid's movie.

I also integrated a rear view camera (highly recommend) and iPod. Only thing I don't have is XM. It can be integrated, but I don't have a use for it.

j2nh
01-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I had two touareg's, an 04 with nav and an 06 with nav.

On the 04 the nav unit went bad just as the car was coming off of warranty. Dealer quoted me something like 2400 for a replacement. Service manger made a claim under warranty and all was good.

My 2 cents.
These things are incredibly complicated when it comes to the electrical system. The battery is the size of a suitcase and sits directly under the drivers seat. There were lots of bugs in the early models and our 04 must have been in the shop 15 times for various electrical glitches. The 06 was perfect and not one unscheduled service claim. You should probably talk to someone very familiar with the Touareg/Audi systems and see what they think or better yet check clubtouareg.com and ask them.

skeeler
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I am thinking more and more, the best route to go is with a simple Double Din Aftermarket unit like my Clarion I have, or a Kenwood or Alpine or something like that. Really don't want to mess with all that integration or other electrical messes.

Ski-me
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I didn't want to say it becuase you just bought the rig but I've heard they have TONS of electrical and early on, they had some problems. I'm glad to hear they have improved from their debut. My wife loves the look of them as well as the Cayennes.....I was just a little nervous about the electricals. A few years ago (2004 or so) I walked into a dealer just to sit in the front seat of vehicle to see what it was like......within 4 minutes, the sales guy had dropped the price $10k off the sticker!! I hadn't event driven the thing and he was dropping the price! They must have wanted to get rid of the thing or something....

Anyways, I'd stick with Alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer. I would also talk with local car audio place. Unfortunately, by the time you are finished and if you have them install a $1000 unit....you may be looking closer to $1500. Backup camera, steering wheel adaptor, tying into the vehicle speed sensors, etc. Pretty complicated these days.

Are you going to use factory amps/speakers?

skeeler
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM
I didn't want to say it becuase you just bought the rig but I've heard they have TONS of electrical and early on, they had some problems. I'm glad to hear they have improved from their debut. My wife loves the look of them as well as the Cayennes.....I was just a little nervous about the electricals. A few years ago (2004 or so) I walked into a dealer just to sit in the front seat of vehicle to see what it was like......within 4 minutes, the sales guy had dropped the price $10k off the sticker!! I hadn't event driven the thing and he was dropping the price! They must have wanted to get rid of the thing or something....

Anyways, I'd stick with Alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer. I would also talk with local car audio place. Unfortunately, by the time you are finished and if you have them install a $1000 unit....you may be looking closer to $1500. Backup camera, steering wheel adaptor, tying into the vehicle speed sensors, etc. Pretty complicated these days.

Are you going to use factory amps/speakers?

From what I am told (not by the dealer), these days with VW it is a lot like Apple Inc. In the sense that they have price fixing. Whether you buy an ipod from Walmart or Apple's website, you are pretty much going to pay the same price. VW I guess now is the same way not a lot of movement on the price, and not a huge mark up depending on the vehicle.
Again, take that for what it's worth, I am just comparing to domestic car brands.
I think I am going to go with a Kenwood DNX-5140, no steering controls or speed sense, no camera, and no aftermarket amps or speakers. Plain and simple.

D3skier
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Skeeler keeping it plain and simple? with everything else I've seen you do to the boat and other items I find this hard to believe. j/t

bcampbe7
01-21-2010, 01:48 PM
For what its worth, the steering wheel control was not all that difficult to install. Finding the correct wire to tap was the hardest part. I had a local stereo shop tell me which wire.

What is the speed sense requirement? Are you talking about the safety feature that prevents you from watching a movie while in motion? If so, the Kenwood is one of the easiest brands to bypass. I have an older model (DDX-7019) and all I had to do was ground the parking brake wire. Alpine (and others) required a separate unit to bypass this feature. Kenwood may have chaged this on their new models, if not it is easy peasy.

Ski-me
01-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Looks like a nice unit and I love the Garmin Nav they use. Very easy to use and intuitive. Our Toyota based Lexus Nav is less than desireable!! I prefer the Garmin hands down to the Lexus......

bcampbe7
01-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes, Garmin does a good job with their user interface.

j2nh
01-21-2010, 03:35 PM
The problem with the Touareg and Porsche Cayenne was that at the last minute, before being introduced into North America, the design was changed from two batteries to one. One, located under the drivers seat was for engine management and the second, under the rear cargo area, was for all of the accessories including the air suspension. It took a good year and a half to get it sorted and their were lots of lemon law complaints during that time.

That being said the later year models are great vehicles and pretty much bulletproof.

If you plan on towing with the vehicle and your trailer has LED lights it is possible that you will get a trailer light fault code. The Touareg reads amperage to the trailer lights and if it is too low it tells you, in the most annoying way, that you have a burnt out trailer light. Easy fix with an inline resistor, if you need them pm me and I will send you a diagram where to put it.

skeeler
01-21-2010, 03:52 PM
The problem with the Touareg and Porsche Cayenne was that at the last minute, before being introduced into North America, the design was changed from two batteries to one. One, located under the drivers seat was for engine management and the second, under the rear cargo area, was for all of the accessories including the air suspension. It took a good year and a half to get it sorted and their were lots of lemon law complaints during that time.

That being said the later year models are great vehicles and pretty much bulletproof.

If you plan on towing with the vehicle and your trailer has LED lights it is possible that you will get a trailer light fault code. The Touareg reads amperage to the trailer lights and if it is too low it tells you, in the most annoying way, that you have a burnt out trailer light. Easy fix with an inline resistor, if you need them pm me and I will send you a diagram where to put it.
Thanks for the input.
I have no problem taken a boat a part and customizing it, but this thing scares the crap out of me. So I am not going to get to deep into it. Think I will just do the Kenwood model. The Garmin navi portion is what really sold me on it. Love how simple the interface is on their GPS systems.
j2nh - Thanks for information, and if you could send me that trailer LED light info, that would be great!!

Ski-me
01-21-2010, 04:20 PM
So, did you get the V8 or V6?

Ski-me
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM

Glad to hear. I know they got huge reviews on it's 4wd system initially but the electrical scared people away. It does make sense now after you've explained it.

My wife has the Lexus 400h. Nice and quick (believe it or not), but there are so many out there. I'm sure she would love a Touareg or Cayenne.

skeeler
01-21-2010, 04:31 PM
So, did you get the V8 or V6?

We went with the V6. For us, it is basically a daily driver. It does/will have a towing package, but that is for those times when we don't have the truck to maybe pull the boat and park it in storage. Couple a miles or so. I just couldn't believe the acceleration and the handling. An SUV that handles like a car, very fun to drive.

fskof
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Skeeler, I have a 2004 VW Touareg V8 Fully loaded that I bought new. It now has 67k miles on it and I honestly can say that I have had no issues with it. This vehicle is great. It has the power to tow anything and fantastic brakes to stop anything.

You will Enjoy your new purchase

skeeler
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Skeeler, I have a 2004 VW Touareg V8 Fully loaded that I bought new. It now has 67k miles on it and I honestly can say that I have had no issues with it. This vehicle is great. It has the power to tow anything and fantastic brakes to stop anything.

You will Enjoy your new purchase

Glad to know. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Another question, I have been wrestling with wheels. It has the factory 19 wheels on it now. Looking at maybe doing something like one of these. With the VW logo of course. Any thoughts?

Monte
01-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Skeeler, FWIW I just picked up a new Cadi DTS. (I know apples/ oranges) Without the Nav system. I deal closely with several salvage operations. I called a few of them to look at buying the entire Nav/ head unit/ bose system out of a totaled unit. The guy I trust the most told me that it may be more headache than it is worth. The computers in newer high end cars (even with the sync downloads) can have severe issues recognizing the components they were meant to operate. He also told me this is by far not GM specific. He told me that he would love to make a G or two on what I wanted, but the upgrades can spread problems throughout the sym in the car including basic operational issues. Not trying to tell you it won't work, just giving you a heads up.

skeeler
01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Skeeler, FWIW I just picked up a new Cadi DTS. (I know apples/ oranges) Without the Nav system. I deal closely with several salvage operations. I called a few of them to look at buying the entire Nav/ head unit/ bose system out of a totaled unit. The guy I trust the most told me that it may be more headache than it is worth. The computers in newer high end cars (even with the sync downloads) can have severe issues recognizing the components they were meant to operate. He also told me this is by far not GM specific. He told me that he would love to make a G or two on what I wanted, but the upgrades can spread problems throughout the sym in the car including basic operational issues. Not trying to tell you it won't work, just giving you a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up! I am in pretty much total agreement. I have steered my self away from the integrated steering controls and etc. Just a simple aftermarket head unit and that's it.