PDA

View Full Version : Flood Watch Issued for Southern California

trickskier
01-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Rexdog - Sodar are you guys OK?

Second Storm Approaching as Flood Watch Issued for Southern California

Southern California was bracing Tuesday for another day of rain as the second of three back-to-back storms expected to hit the state this week approached the coast.

Forecasters posted a flash flood watch for areas scarred by last summer's wildfires in Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

High surf advisories remained in effect, with waves 15 to 18 feet reported along the Central Coast from Point Conception north to Cape San Martin.

A rainstorm that pounded much of the state Monday moved on without causing major damage, but not before prompting evacuations, cutting power to thousands and forcing Disneyland to close several hours early.

The next storm was expected to bring rainfall totals of 1 to 3 inches along the coast and valleys and up to 6 inches in the mountains.

It's also expected to be colder and could drop snow at elevations of 5,000 feet, said Bill Hoffer, spokesman for the National Weather Service in Oxnard.

Forecasters said storms lasting through Friday could drop a total of 20 inches of rain on Southern California.

On Monday, authorities ordered nearly 200 homes evacuated or put on alert in foothill communities just below areas devastated by the massive Station wildfire, which charred more than 250 square miles of Angeles National Forest in August. Authorities later invited all residents to return after the storm had passed.

About 63,000 customers in Southern California were without power for part of the day, as flooding and high winds toppled power lines or sent drivers careening into electric poles. Power had been restored to all but about 10,000 customers.

In Northern California, a plane arriving from Dallas made an emergency landing at San Jose International Airport because of the storm, and a 21-year-old Kern County man was killed when a tree toppled on his house.

In Orange County, the downpour caused a roof to collapse on employees at a medical lab in Santa Ana. No one was injured.

In San Bernardino County, authorities in Victorville rescued four teenagers who became trapped by a 6-foot wall of rising water in a storm drain.

Sodar
01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
I am fine. We had little waterspout roll through on Tuesday that flipped a car, threw a few boats around and broke some windows... pretty cool to have a small taste of weather here. It's not very often that it rains for a week straight in SoCal!

Jon, how are the hillsides holding up in YL? Seems like the news is focusing on all the Burn areas in LA, and not many in OC.

SkiDog
01-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I am fine. We had little waterspout roll through on Tuesday that flipped a car, threw a few boats around and broke some windows... pretty cool to have a small taste of weather here. It's not very often that it rains for a week straight in SoCal!

Jon, how are the hillsides holding up in YL? Seems like the news is focusing on all the Burn areas in LA, and not many in OC.

We're getting the remnants from yall's first storm today. Raining like a mofo here!

CantRepeat
01-21-2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqMEEvmfyQU

erkoehler
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Too bad all that rain isn't hitting us, we can use the snow :)

coz
01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Storm Watch 2010

We've got flooding and flash flood warnings throughout the Phoenix valley today & tomorrow, supposed to be the storm of all storms :mad:

FrankSchwab
01-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but in Phoenix they issue flooding and flash flood warnings anytime someone spits.

/frank

funk
01-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Lots of rain this week, that's for sure. I had to go throw quite a few intersections with 2-3 ft of water in them. Hopefully, we won't float away today. Our pool was at the coping this morning so should be very close to overflowing this afternoon, I have a feeling I will be pumping water out this evening. If it's not fires, it's flooding, or quakes, or I guess tornados this week??

Long Beach pics..
http://lang.presstelegram.com/photos/photos.asp?a=928592#id=928592&num=3

coz
01-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah, but in Phoenix they issue flooding and flash flood warnings anytime someone spits.

/frank

Got that right Frank. Phoenix has with out a doubt the worse flood control I have ever seen and they don't know how to act when it does.

dummy
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow. What just rolled through here was harsh. Anybody know a good roofer in So Cal! :D

Jeeps in the garage are nearly as wet as the ones in the driveway. 'Nother couple inches and I'll be firing up the Mastercraft to go for a spin in the back yard.

funk
01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Channels are swelling in the LBC!

coz
01-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Channels are swelling in the LBC!

Be sure not to go surfing for a couple days after this storm....some nasty stuff flowing into the Pacific http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/wuerg/vomit-smiley-015.gif

sand2snow22
01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Sunny and warm, here. Strange? Thinking about taking the new X25 for a spin! :D