PDA

View Full Version : Some New kind of Problem (maybe ignition)

SKI*MC
06-15-2005, 10:50 PM
OK, new problem!!! We just dropped in an electronic ignition, new rotor, and new coil. The engine will start but runs like crap! Sometimes the engine will turn over after we turn the key back when it wont start. The times it will start, it is a weak respaonce at the throtle. It doesnt seem to respond to the throttle moving, i dont think its in the cable, its in the engine. Any suggestions!? I need any and all of them you have!!!

Cloaked
06-15-2005, 11:08 PM
OK, new problem!!! We just dropped in an electronic ignition, new rotor, and new coil. The engine will start but runs like crap! Sometimes the engine will turn over after we turn the key back when it wont start. The times it will start, it is a weak respaonce at the throtle. It doesnt seem to respond to the throttle moving, i dont think its in the cable, its in the engine. Any suggestions!? I need any and all of them you have!!!What model boat? I just put an electronic conversion in mine and it's the best $100 I have spent since Cancun Mexico... LOL...

Make sure you have the springs attached and the gear driven gadget in tact properly with the weights in the botton of the distributor bowl....

SKI*MC
06-15-2005, 11:10 PM
they are :(

JEREMY79
06-15-2005, 11:12 PM
what about your timing

Cloaked
06-15-2005, 11:13 PM
they are :(Did you bypass the resistor thingy on the back of the engine, under the plastic cover?

JimN
06-15-2005, 11:18 PM
When you screwed the module down, did you set it to the gap they recommended? You can't just put it in there and let 'er rip. Look in the instructions for a gap of about .018" -.026"(just a guess, but it should be pretty close). You also need to verify the timing.

Cloaked
06-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks Jim for not allowing me to make a fool of myself any longer... LOL.. yEr our SME around here.... I set mine with the 0.010" gauge strip that was in the kit. What a great improvement for the boat too...

SKI*MC
06-17-2005, 11:53 PM
hmmm... well i dont know, we put back all the old stuff, even the coil and it ran fine again. So it might be the gap.

Cloaked
06-18-2005, 07:05 AM
...or a bad module. It happens. :(

SKI*MC
06-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Its not the gap, its a factory set ignition. So im totally lost. We are buting new points, rotor, and anything else in the distributor that might help!

SKI*MC
06-20-2005, 10:42 PM
By gorge i think we've got it!!!! We took the boat out tonight, and it ran fine, until put under load. We looked at the rotor, and it was loose, causing it to slip on the advance around 30MPH. We put a new rotor on it and i'll let you know later hot it worked.

SKI*MC
06-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Nope!!!!! :(

Brn85ss
06-21-2005, 10:46 AM
What brand ele.ignition did you buy?Sounds like you bought the Pertronix.I would return it and buy the Prestolite kit.

SKI*MC
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
well i take it back, it might work, we had it running in our garage with no water to it. and the auto choke was on, this could cause it to mis... I 'll tell you what happened wednesday.

PeteS
06-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. My thoughts are that it could be a bad module, your timing could be off, or maybe your plug wires are in the wrong order on your distributor cap.

You may also want to pick up a new impeller, as when you ran it in the garage yesterday there's a good chance you melted the rubber on the blades from the friction. What tends to happen now is that as the rubber solidified, it fused in place against the walls of your water pump. When you turn over the motor next, the blades could eaisly rip free from the walls, or rip off the stem of the impeller. Either way, I'd replace it if you ran the boat even for a few seconds without water. Best of luck!

jimmer2880
06-22-2005, 05:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. My thoughts are that it could be a bad module, your timing could be off, or maybe your plug wires are in the wrong order on your distributor cap.

You may also want to pick up a new impeller, as when you ran it in the garage yesterday there's a good chance you melted the rubber on the blades from the friction. What tends to happen now is that as the rubber solidified, it fused in place against the walls of your water pump. When you turn over the motor next, the blades could eaisly rip free from the walls, or rip off the stem of the impeller. Either way, I'd replace it if you ran the boat even for a few seconds without water. Best of luck!

Unless you ran it while connected to a hose (I sure hope you had water going through it)

PeteS
06-22-2005, 09:38 AM
well i take it back, it might work, we had it running in our garage with no water to it. and the auto choke was on, this could cause it to mis... I 'll tell you what happened wednesday.
The above statement was alarming to me, Jimmer.

SKI*MC
07-04-2005, 09:07 PM
We only had it running for less than a minute, otherwise i wanted to re0open this thread to say that the boat finally runs like it should. We tried another electronic ignition from a different place, we put it it, turned the engine over, and it fired right up. We ran a hose to it and ran fine. We took it up north this weekend and never missed a cylendar! I am so excited to have this problem gone and done with!