PDA

View Full Version : Germany Vacation help

Ben
01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Looking as if we'll be in Germany mid April. Probably mid to southern region. Any must see suggestions or things to do? Tips on how to get around & stay overnight w/o blowing the boat gas fund? Thinking about passing thru Switzerland and Austria as well, but not sure about transportation times & costs to do so.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, I figure a few people on the board either live there or have been there for work and/or play before...

Thanks.

coz
01-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Berchtesgaden are the bomb and stop by Munich on the way down. Train is the cheap way around and guesthauses are the place to stay as opposed to a name brand hotel.

russlars
01-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Are you going to have a car or are you limited by public transportation? We have found car travel in Germany to be the cheapest route since it gives you more options on where to go and what to see. It is also a blast to drive on the Autobahn.:D There are tons of Zimmers (Bed and Breakfast) throughout Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Some of the best ones are off the beaten path and the prices are usuallly much more reasonable than if you are limited to places near trains staions. You will also get a much better feel for the local culture if you get out in the countryside. In April you should be able to pretty much fly by the seat of your pants since that is a low tourist season and there will be plenty of vacancies. Depending on how much time you have, I would definitely try and work in Switzerland (Interlaken, Lauterbrunen Valley especially). Austria is very nice also (Saltzburg and Vienna have some nice sights). PM me if you want more specifics.

dummy
01-19-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll second the rental car. I "upgraded" to a premium. Walking through the parking garage to my rental car's space past Mercedes, BMW, Mercedes, BMW, BMW, and there it was - a Citroen minivan. Ugh. Could only get it up to 130mph on the Autobahn.

Salzburg, Austria: definitely do a salt mine tour. Incredible. Believe it or not, if you're going with the wife/girlfriend and she's into it, do The Sound of Music tour. You'll earn big brownie points and it's not completely unbearable.

Also, hit Neuschwanstein Castle (go early).

Oversalzberg Eagle's Nest tour - just for the sake of saying you stood there (I didn't go - maybe next time).

Munich: BEER GARDENS! Lotsa cool day trip stuff from there.

We went to Dachau one day, but it was a real buzz-kill and really leaves you feeling jagged for the rest of the day.

Switzerland: Appenzell has a neat - but smelly cheese factory tour. You should also take the cable car up into the mountains for a little hike and eat here: http://www.aescher-ai.ch/ I HIGHLY recommend the trip. Incredible scenery, a cool cable car ride, and the food and beer was really good.

M-Funf
01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Depends on where you're going to be. Germany is a big place. The train system in Germany is very good if you don't want to get a car. The ICE is fast and comfortable. A Eurail pass will do well.

Munich is nice. Dresden is also very nice, but may be out of the way. And if you're all the way over there, get across the border to Prague (Don't drive, though).

One of the better resources I've found is Frommers online guides.

www.frommers.com

Ben
01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds as if a car is the thing to do. I thought the thing to do was use the train, maybe not so.. Open to whatever at this point.

My trip will end in Munich, so we can definitely hit the stuff there and other southern places.

2RLAKE
01-19-2010, 09:35 PM
May '05 my wife and i spent a week blasting around through the Austria and Southern Germany ... terrific trip and upgrade your car, did all the castles, Salzburg, etc ... very memorable. My goal was to have sauerkraut every night!

bcampbe7
01-20-2010, 08:10 AM
May '05 my wife and i spent a week blasting around through the Austria and Southern Germany ... terrific trip and upgrade your car, did all the castles, Salzburg, etc ... very memorable. My goal was to have sauerkraut every night!

I bet your wife had an equally impressive goal of not walking behind you the next day! :uglyhamme