PDA

View Full Version : Best PWC and why?

h2oskiluvr
01-16-2010, 09:35 AM
I am looking to buy a new PWC for this summer. (I promise to never ruin glassy waters for my fellow slalom skiers!) There are a lot of manufacturers and models and quite frankly I don't even know where to start.

Honda http://powersports.honda.com/water.aspx
Kawasaki http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/SubCategory.aspx?id=23
Sea Doo http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/
Yamaha http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunner/products/lifestylehome/home.aspx

I am not sure if there are any others but these are the ones I have come across so far. Except for Honda, each one has a ton of different models to choose from.

Not sure what information is helpful but here are some facts about my situation. I am an athletic forty, three younger children, very safety conscience, and it will be moored at my dock. If there is one that is especially mechanically sound, read indestructible, that would be good for me.

Thanks TT Members, thanks in advance for your thoughts on this topic. Have fun!

Jim@BAWS
01-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Not to rain on your party...This is a MasterCraft FORUM, and this needs to be discussed in a PWC forum. I am not the website POLICE here. Either that or move it to the OFF TOPIC thread

Jim@BAWS

JohnE
01-16-2010, 10:06 AM
I relocated the thread per Jim's request.

I see no problem discussing this topic on this forum since MC does not manufacture PWC's. And there are a lot of respected members here who are likely to have input for this question.

h2oskiluvr
01-16-2010, 10:18 AM

I see no problem discussing this topic on this forum since MC does not manufacture PWC's. And there are a lot of respected members here who are likely to have input for this question.

Thanks JohnE. I agree, there are a lot TT members who would be interested in this topic. There are a lot of non-MasterCraft topics throughout the FORUM. Since owning a MC is a lifestyle I think it is important for people to have a place to discuss topics related to that. I am very thankful we have topics like "Glass waters.." in the General MasterCraft discussion thread even though it isn't specifically focused on a MC boat.

tex
01-16-2010, 10:19 AM
A sunk pwc is the best!

h2oskiluvr
01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
A sunk pwc is the best!

I know.. I know... I almost can't believe it myself. I have stood on the back platform so many times in my ski waiting for the "water rats" to leave so we can get some calm water.

coz
01-16-2010, 10:27 AM
We've personally owned Kawasaki's since the late 70's (stand ups & sit downs) and like Kawi, but my sons friend has the seadoo wakeboard edition and this thing's a blast....ok for wakeboarding (good for surface tricks).....great for wakeskating....and not to bad pulling a skier.

http://www.psndealer.com/powersportsdlr/images/NewVehicles/2004_13_gtx4-tec-wake.jpg

vision
01-16-2010, 10:42 AM
We have several Yamahas and a Kawasaki. They are 10 years old and 2 strokes. The Kawasaki has had zero problems, the Yamahas have had minor problems. But most users prefer the Yamahas because they are more stable.

The hull design of new PWCs are pretty similar so this is no longer much of a factor.

Early 4-stroke Hondas and Sea-Doos have a bad reputation for engine problems. But Hondas in the last 4 years have an excellent reputation.

Some of the models have speed limiting switches. With 3 younger children who may in the next 5 years be using the PWCs, this might be a feature to look for.

vision
01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
A sunk pwc is the best!

If only bad driving on the water was limited to PWCs. I have the same thoughts about most of the fishing boats doing 50 MPH 10 feet from our dock or our downed rider. You just can not cure stupid.

Plus, if it were not for our PWCs, I would not have a way to tow our MC back to the dock when the SOB fuel pump dies. ;)

Sodar
01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
SuperJet or 800SX-R... the rest are couches on water!

coz
01-16-2010, 11:25 AM
800SX-R

I'd love one of those :headbang:

corey
01-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I know nothing about set skis, I've ridden one once and that was over 10 years ago. That being said we have a basically brand new Sea Doo RXT-X with trailer that needs a new home. It came in on trade this fall and it looks so clean we put it on the showfloor. email if interested, if not no worries.

Patrick Hardy
01-16-2010, 12:16 PM

I had to google the 800SX-R to even know what it is? It has been along time since I have seen one. http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=439
Once I saw the 800, it was like seeing a old love...pure addiction from the past. I have not rode a old style pwc in over a decade. Even at the age of 45, that pwc looks like absolute fun.
As for the sit down style pwc, I have owned and rode most of the top brands, they are all very similar. For a family with young kids, I would recommend test riding the two and three person models from Sea Doo, Honda and Kawasaki.
I am not sure what type of budget you are looking at? but if possible, try buying two of them at one time. It is a better time to have someone to ride with you, then having people sitting at the dock and waiting.

TX.X-30 fan
01-16-2010, 05:58 PM

I concur, I had one of the early Honda turbo's and have ridden them all but nothing compared to the handling and acceleration of the turbo.

ProStar200
01-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Stick with a Sea-Doo, best all around PWC on the market in my opinion. Also a Canadian Company. Bombardier also makes, Four Wheelers, Outboard engines (all I have ever owned), Snowmobiles, three wheeled Motorcycles, Trains, Planes, etc. the list goes on.

TX.X-30 fan
01-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Sea-poo....................................... sucks No offence

ProStar200
01-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Sea-poo....................................... sucks No offence

Non taken, personal opinion like I said.

TX.X-30 fan
01-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Non taken, personal opinion like I said.

Just messin with ya....................... me canadian compadre :D

Drive a Honda turbo, very cool.

americanskierJim
01-16-2010, 08:32 PM
This is my jet ski 96 XP it goes right around 73mph I have a ton of work done to it.from shaved head to spec2 pipe novi carbs just a little fun thing to ride and blow everthing out of the water.

Ramhouse
01-16-2010, 09:06 PM
The ones that don't run and sit on the trailer all day!!!

EricB
01-16-2010, 09:44 PM
H2oskilvur;
From personal experience, I would recommend getting 2 PWC's. One for the family, and one for an individual (like you).
I do not know how old the kids are nd if you are athletic as you say, the sit-downs are fun with the kids and family. But if you want a challenge and some 'excersize", get a stand-up too.
I happen to have one of each. One child likes the sit-down and the other likes the stand-up. If my wife want to ride, she can do either (I prefer the stand-up, but I'm a bit old school). It depends on what you want to do. So the combination of the 2 works well for our family.
We don't trailer them, for we have a lake place. They sit at the shore.
Now, if you wish to solicit any brand makes, all are relatively good nowadays. Even if you buy new or used, they are all pretty good. Just like a bigger boat, pay attention to the hours, hull condition and overall appearance.

Carbon Dreams
01-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Get a 3 seat flying couch, make of your preference. Then buy an old Kawi X-2 for you. The ol X-2 is just about the most fun on water one can have when not involving an MC. You can find them from $500-1000 in various forms of modifications. Be warned, they are addicting and will start a trend of modifications. X-2's are as close to riding a motorcycle as you can get on water. They kind of remind me of riding a snowmobile in deep powder.

The Kawi flying couches are pretty nice too. The new Seapoo's have suspect oiling system. They are prone to seizure due to lack of cooling, and ingesting metal parts after the Supercharger lets go. The Honda's are pretty good for reliability, but are the least fun. You can search on PWC Today forum to learn about all the different models and get first hand info on owning them. Cheers! Braaaaaap Braap. :D

rhsprostar
01-17-2010, 02:31 AM

96 Yamaha Waveblaster.........if you think it's a couch, I invite you to come drive it in 6-8 waves! ;)

rhsprostar
01-17-2010, 02:39 AM
I have to say that I would rather be behind my 197 but on the windy days I hit the big water, and it's a $hit load of fun!!!!!:D:D:D

h2oskiluvr
01-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I have to say that I would rather be behind my 197 but on the windy days I hit the big water, and it's a $hit load of fun!!!!!:D:D:D

That's pretty cool. Not too many waves like that here in Wisconsin. It would be really nice to have something that is 'better' on the water when it is windy.

Big Dogg
01-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Seadoo three seaters (GTX's) 4 strokes, supercharged, and intercooled owned one for several years and only sold it because of a boat upgrade. From a dead stop it will flat run all over a Honda Turbo. Rides like a Mercedes with the acceleration of a Ferrari (0-30 in around 2.0 secs?). From my 3 years of ownership, never did I have the 4 stroke GTX SC IC in the shop. Sold it with over 300 hours, I know the owner and it still runs like a top. Go with the Seadoo, enough said.

Oh and if you want a play toy for yourself 1996 Seadoo XP, very sought after because of being a light weight high HP jetski. However, the 951cc motor used in that model is prone to maintaince nightmares because of it HP in the 2 stroke format. If you are shopping for one be sure its fully checked over.

h2oskiluvr
01-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks Big Dogg. I was eyeing that one up already. Good to get confirmation of this model.