PDA

View Full Version : McGwire

atlfootr
01-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Finally someone steps up to the plate and admits his use of steroids in baseball, after decade. :rolleyes:
In 2010, McGwire publicly admitted having used performance enhancing drugs throughout his career.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_McGwire#Steroids_controversy

justinglow
01-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Only took him a decade......

thatsmrmastercraft
01-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Its about time. This will be a major blow to baseball and all the records that were broken as a result of steroids. It will be interesting to see what happens. A record that was broken by someone on steroids should not just have an asterisk by it. That does not properly return credit to the real baseball player that set it. This has turned me off baseball as much as Nascar being so blatantly scripted (but no more than pro wrestling).

bigmac
01-12-2010, 09:14 AM
As if we didn't already know...

thatsmrmastercraft
01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
As if we didn't already know...

Hard to believe that only 3% of the people taking this poll were blonde.

Skipper
01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
They thought he was a basketball player....

Jorski
01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
1988 baseball card:
http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/124/881/871/43juNrBX7BdkjOn.jpg

Mid Career:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/markmcquire.jpg

SkiDog
01-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I guess we've all forgot about The infamous Darryl Strawberry:confused:

scott023
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I would say that the VAST majority of players are juicing. Let's not burn Mark at the stake, he is only a wee part of the problem facing MLB right now...

JohnE
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
I would say that the VAST majority of players are juicing. Let's not burn Mark at the stake, he is only a wee part of the problem facing MLB right now...

Agreed. Everybody was doing it. Probably still are. Don't persecute only the best.

If you're going to discount the records, you may as well discount the stats for every player of that era.

Not saying juicing was right, but it was a part of the game for over 20 years. Probably closer to 30 than 20.

Texas
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
They are/were all juicing to one level or another. Remember steroid usage can come in many forms. Injecting produces the quickest results but steroids and derivitaives of steroids were in many protein powders and weight gainers for a number of years.

bigmac
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Agreed...let's not burn him at the stake for using steroids. Let's burn him at the stake for denying it for more than a decade.

Androstenedione indeed :rolleyes:.

Jorski
01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Oh...and let's burn him at the stake for his (current) ridiculous claim that he only used steroids to recover from injury, and not to improve his performance.

JimN
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
"But all of the cool kids were doing it". Mark McGwire

Too bad he didn't go into a roid rage when they questioned him the first time.

scott023
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Is there a lot of blind people on here, or just naive?

scott023
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Go to town on him now that he's admitted it? Doesn't make sense to me...

sizzler
01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
you should have olympics for steroid users...be much more fun....

also MLB and NBA...have 2 divisions...one for clean and one for roid users......

bet it would be a hoot

bcampbe7
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
you should have olympics for steroid users...be much more fun....

also MLB and NBA...have 2 divisions...one for clean and one for roid users......

bet it would be a hoot

That's awesome! :D :D

bigmac
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Go to town on him now that he's admitted it? Doesn't make sense to me...

Makes perfect sense. The public has a short attention span - he's long been out of our collective consciousness. Everybody knew he was cheating, but he either denied it or just refused to answer. Then, something else bright and shiney came into our field of view and everybody forgot about him.

Until...he decided to come clean. Naturally, now that we're aware of him again, we'll all sit around and barbecue him for awhile for the cheater that he is, until something else comes along and diverts us again. If he's smart, he'll just keep quiet until the media and the public they control lose interest again.

TMCNo1
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Makes perfect sense. The public has a short attention span - he's long been out of our collective consciousness. Everybody knew he was cheating, but he either denied it or just refused to answer. Then, something else bright and shiney came into our field of view and everybody forgot about him.

Until...he decided to come clean. Naturally, now that we're aware of him again, we'll all sit around and barbecue him for awhile for the cheater that he is, until something else comes along and diverts us again. If he's smart, he'll just keep quiet until the media and the public they control lose interest again.

Sounds logical to me, kinda like the Tiger saga!
BTW, has everyone seen the new Tiger Gatorade bottle,

jkski
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
While I certainly do not think it is right for him to have used steroids to enhance his performance, nor for him to choose not to answer questions about it, etc., I pose this question....other than the obvious deception aspect, who exactly did he hurt, other than himself. Baseball...during the time that he was juicing, can anyone honestly say that they were not tuning in to watch what was happening between he and Sosa. (I think MLB benefited here). Now, at the same time, it certainly did not help the game in the long run, as people are forced to question players and wonder exactly what their children are looking up to.

So, answer this...would you rather have a guy that juiced and broke some records that can be taken away with the stroke of a pen or the multitude of players who do drugs, commit crimes that hurt others, etc. in many cases leaving others mourning a loss.

Personally, I'll take McGuire and give the guy a chance to redeem himself.

scott023
01-12-2010, 05:35 PM

You haven't gotten reminded each year at HOF voting time? :D

JimN
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM

What about those of us who don't care enough about it to get all worked up? We want some kind of compensation for our apathy. It's their job, nay- it's their duty to capture our interest to the point where we can't think of anything else. :rant:

I feel cheated.

Not really.

bigmac
01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
So, answer this...would you rather have a guy that juiced and broke some records that can be taken away with the stroke of a pen or the multitude of players who do drugs, commit crimes that hurt others, etc. in many cases leaving others mourning a loss.

Why do I have to choose between those two options? Why can't I choose the honorable athlete that doesn't cheat his teamates and the public that pays his salary by juicing, doesn't do drugs, doesn't pull guns on his teamates in the locker room, doesn't promote dog fighting, etc etc etc.?

The answer to your question is that I would rather have NEITHER of the options you pose, and as long as sports fans are willing to accept either of those two things as choices, sports in the USA will continue to be a joke.

bigmac
01-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Personally, I'll take McGuire and give the guy a chance to redeem himself.No problem here. I'm all about redemption and forgiveness. I'm a sucker for a cheater and liar that has seen the light.

Now, should he be banned from baseball? Pete Rose still is.

TOO-TALL
01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
When is carrot-top gonna admit it ?????

Have you seen that guy lately......Geeeeeezzzzzzzzz

jkski
01-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Why do I have to choose between those two options? Why can't I choose the honorable athlete that doesn't cheat his teamates and the public that pays his salary by juicing, doesn't do drugs, doesn't pull guns on his teamates in the locker room, doesn't promote dog fighting, etc etc etc.?

The answer to your question is that I would rather have NEITHER of the options you pose, and as long as sports fans are willing to accept either of those two things as choices, sports in the USA will continue to be a joke.

I completely agree that a 3rd option, as you pointed out, is truly the right answer, and should be the only option, and it's unfortunate we do not see enough of the "clean" people in the media.

As far as banning him from baseball forever, my opinion is that if you are going to ban Pete Rose for what he did, then it only stands to reason that McGwire be banned as well.....fair is fair. Personally, I'd love to see a point in time come that these players learn to truly appreciate what they get to do for a living... "play a game" and get paid hefty sums to do so. There are a lot of people out there that would trade places with them in a heartbeat and respect the good fortune they have. It would be nice to see someone stand-up to the players and show them the door if they are not willing to play by the rules.
Being that the time of this type of action will likely never come, I guess we are left to make our own choices of whether or not to watch and support them.

scott023
01-13-2010, 10:01 AM
When is carrot-top gonna admit it ?????

Have you seen that guy lately......Geeeeeezzzzzzzzz

He's HUGE. And stupid. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
01-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Rules are rules. Period. Either play by them, or don't play.

Remember these athletes are earning tons of money because they are athletically talented.........not because they are smart.

JimN
01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Rules are rules. Period. Either play by them, or don't play.

Remember these athletes are earning tons of money because they are athletically talented.........not because they are smart.

They make so much because their agents get it for them.

bbymgr
01-13-2010, 05:39 PM

They make so much because we are stupid enough to continue to watch them in person and on TV.

2RLAKE
01-13-2010, 07:19 PM
all i can say is let Pete Rose into the HOF!!

JimN
01-13-2010, 09:28 PM
They make so much because we are stupid enough to continue to watch them in person and on TV.

Don't blame me- I rarely watch pro sports live and I never buy team merchandise. Prima Donnas annoy the crap out of me.

TOO-TALL
01-13-2010, 11:00 PM
As far as banning him from baseball forever, my opinion is that if you are going to ban Pete Rose for what he did, then it only stands to reason that McGwire be banned as well.....fair is fair.

I agree......

ahhudgins
01-13-2010, 11:17 PM
All he had to say was "I used a Bowflex, 30 minutes a day, three times a week to get this body". Commercials can't lie.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2010, 12:16 AM

I will certainly agree with that an athlete won't get squat without a good agent. And I'm not saying all athletes are idiots, but they don't need to be much smarter than a half frozen Iguana falling out of a tree in Florida because their main, and sometimes only attribute is their athletic ability.

JimN
01-14-2010, 12:36 AM
I will certainly agree with that an athlete won't get squat without a good agent. And I'm not saying all athletes are idiots, but they don't need to be much smarter than a half frozen Iguana falling out of a tree in Florida because their main, and sometimes only attribute is their athletic ability.

And the NFL told HBO that their show about their league wasn't accurate. OK, maybe not totally, but it's close enough for Jazz. Plexiglass Burress, Ray-Ray and the latest maroon with guns on his locker are prime examples of how stoopid some of these guys are.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2010, 01:12 AM
And the NFL told HBO that their show about their league wasn't accurate. OK, maybe not totally, but it's close enough for Jazz. Plexiglass Burress, Ray-Ray and the latest maroon with guns on his locker are prime examples of how stoopid some of these guys are.

And those are the ones we hear about. I don't even want to think of the crap they pull and manage to cover up.

captain planet
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Let's not forget the agents get a pretty good amount of money for negotiating the deals as well.

captain planet
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
And those are the ones we hear about. I don't even want to think of the crap they pull and manage to cover up.

It's too bad all we hear about is the negative with athletes. I'm not going to sit here and and try to deny all the crap that these guys pull doesn't annoy me. I don't follow baseball anymore because of steroids, no salary cap, and the league's unwillingness to do anything about it. I don't follow the NBA because David Stern doesn't have the stones to ban players like Artest, Spreewell, and those other idoits that pulled guns on each other a few weeks ago. All that is what is wrong with sports. There are guys that are doing good that you never/rarely hear about.

It would be nice to hear about athletes that are setting examples that you wouldn't mind your kids following. Here are a few guys that come to mind that are doing "right".

Tim Duncan
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Peyton Manning
Warrick Dunn
Dikembe Mutombo (spelling?)

Too bad more athletes don't follow these guys lead.

I will throw out one more name that I'm sure will get a reaction. Like him or hate him, he doesn't get in trouble, doesn't drink, do drugs, you don't hear about him off the field, and he gives back.....

Chad Ochocinco.

Flamboyant to the point of being a little annoying.....maybe/probably....a good person....Definately.

Have fun fellas! :)

JimN
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Let's not forget the agents get a pretty good amount of money for negotiating the deals as well.

Well, yeah. If they weren't compensated extremely well, nobody would want that job and this leads to the question- "Whose interest are the agents serving?". If an agent makes 10% of the contract, instructing the athlete to hold out for more will usually get the agent more money, regardless of the effect to the athlete's reputation. Admittedly, the athlete's reputation is often bad enough without the standoff, but that's part of the mistique. Once the athlete signs, they go back to work, often with season or career-ending injury because they were too stupid to think that they would need to stay in game condition while the negotiations were on-going. Since the agent is a parasite in many cases (Drew Rosenhaus), they don't give a rat's azz about public perception of the athlete or themselves. It's the old saying "Any publicity is good publicity". As long as the controversy makes people talk about said athlete and agent, sales will be good. As long as the agent is seen as "getting that paper from the owners", they'll never be short of clients.

There's another saying- "If you want to read something good about yourself, take out an ad".