PDA

View Full Version : Splined Props?

jbfootin
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
My dad just got a '08 PS197 and he wants to get a spare prop. I told him that he could always use my spare prop if needed, but when I looked at his current prop, it is splined instead of using a key. Looking around, all I see out on the market is tappered bore with a key, not splined.

Is this stock on newer MCs?
Where do I find splined props?

Thanks for any help. (I know someone will post "this thread is useless without pictures", but his boat is 25miles away and I don't have pictures at this time.):o

east tx skier
01-11-2010, 11:23 AM
MC went splined in the early to mid 2000's. Keyed before that. You can get the splined props from OJ, Acme, a MC dealer, Delta Propeller, Skidim, Elbert's, and the like.

bigmac
01-11-2010, 12:11 PM
2000 or 2001 was about the last years for keyed/tapered props on MasterCrafts. As Doug said, splined props are readily available from the same places that sell the old propeller versions.

I'd recommend calling Acme or OJ and ask them about the best propeller for your dad's boat. They will likely have recommendations for a different model that will improve performance relative to what his needs and expectations are.

TMCNo1
01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Go directly to the man that knows, Eric Johnson @ http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us or contact him by pm, EJ OJPROP, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1537
Be prepared to give him any info he may need like, current prop info off the hub, the current altitude you use the boat at, baseline numbers of the speeds and RPM's for the current prop, boat model and year, engine size, transmission ratio, function (skiing, barefooting, surfing, boarding, tubing, etc.), ballast use, fuel load, gear, nominal # of passengers, etc. He will need it to determine the best prop for your application.

jbfootin
01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I am surprised that skidim does not offer a splined drive shaft and overtons doesnot have any. These just happended to be the first 2 catalogs that I had laying around.

Thanks for the help!

Jay

bigmac
01-11-2010, 01:09 PM
If I wanted a splined drive shaft, again, I'd buy that from OJ.

JohnnyB
01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Splined shaft on mine is an ACME. Demo'd both and both were very good.