PDA

View Full Version : Had 3rd and hopefully final surgery today

whitedog
01-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Please have patience this may be a long post.

Today I had what I hope will be my final surgery to repair intestinal damage that was the result of an auto accident last August 14. Back in August I was driving home from RAJ ski practice our Dune buggy ( I'll post pictures tomorrow) when a gal ran a stop sign on a rural road and I T- boned her. Totaled her Prius with a 800# dune buggy and i ended up with severe internal injuries from my seat belt

Today I was able to have the colostomy reversed :) no more bag!!.

First emergency surgery following the accident involved most of my abdominal organs, damage to liver, spleen, removal of a section of small intestine, removal of appendix, and removal of lower sections on both sides of large intestine. Got a 12" long scar out of that. :D I was in the hospital for 9 days that time. Went home on a Sunday afternoon feeling as good as can be thanks to all the pain meds.

I returned to the hospital through the ER again the following Monday :mad: with severe pain in lower abdominal region. A suture had broken down and my large intestine was leaking on the left side. More emergency surgery at 4:00 AM they did a colostomy at that time. Another 10 day stay in the hospital, off work for a total of 9 weeks recovering. Not a fun time.

But through the grace of God I am alive to bore everyone with my story and today was the day to put the plumbing back together! :dance:

DemolitionMan
01-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Welcome Back!!! Glad to here that you are better now.:)

thatsmrmastercraft
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Sounds like you have been through the wringer. Glad to hear they were able to all the pieces back together again. Just to have the plumbing back in order is a big victory. Not to mention I am sure you are plenty tired of hospital food. Best of luck, and hopefully no more complications.

whitedog
01-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Not to mention I am sure you are plenty tired of hospital food.

Yea hospital food = not so good, but still on clear liquids tonight.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Keep up the good spirits. Sounds like you are through with the worst of it.

KnoxX2
01-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Glad to hear you are getting better! Gods speed! Hope all stays on the recovery track for you with no set backs!

bigmac
01-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Been there...done that.

Glad you can finally get rid of the bag.

2RLAKE
01-08-2010, 07:11 AM
hopr you feel better .... and then ready to ski in the spring

Datdude
01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Seems like there would be a certain convenience to having a "bag".........just kidding:D

Glad to hear you are getting better!:cool:

TMCNo1
01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Yea hospital food = not so good, but still on clear liquids tonight.
I can sympathize with just a tad of what you've been through.
Having had colorectal cancer surgery 9.5 years ago at our big hospital satellite surgical center, I still remember the excellent hospital food I had or maybe it was the 8 days w/o solid food that helped, but the grill pork chops, rice and gravy was the best I have ever had and I still can't manage to duplicate that flavor at home.
The bad thing was, four days after surgery, for two days they said I could have solid food as soon as I let out gas! Well, after I finally blew that ball of barbed wire that it felt like I had inside me, it was on and 45 minutes later they had me a tray!:D

SkiDog
01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Glad to hear all is better! I'll bet you're looking forward to summer!

whitedog
01-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I can sympathize with just a tad of what you've been through.
Having had colorectal cancer surgery 9.5 years ago at our big hospital satellite surgical center, I still remember the excellent hospital food I had or maybe it was the 8 days w/o solid food that helped, but the grill pork chops, rice and gravy was the best I have ever had and I still can't manage to duplicate that flavor at home.
The bad thing was, four days after surgery, for two days they said I could have solid food as soon as I let out gas! Well, after I finally blew that ball of barbed wire that it felt like I had inside me, it was on and 45 minutes later they had me a tray!:D

I can relate, after my second surgery in Aug it was 4 days without solid food and then nothing tasted good. Kind of like sawdust and ground up wet card board. In Aug I lost 45# in 22 days. I'm only 5'8" and went in at 180#. I got home and did not have a pair of pants that would stay over my but. It tool almost 10 weeks to put 20# back on.

If all goes well I hope to be in FL skiing in late March or early April.

glassmaster
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Hopefully the worst is over Whitedog, I can relate I am recovering from surgery myself. I had a herniated disc, fractured vertebrae, and sublux between L4/L5. On 8-4-09 I had my L5 S1 disk removed, my L4/L5 fused, but still have fractured L5.
They went in through the front. 6" scar 3 days liquid diet and then 7 days of excruciating gas and bowl pain getting back to normal and I didn't have the pluming mods that you have had.
I feel for ya, pain and recovery sucks.
Good luck to you

TMCNo1
01-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I can relate, after my second surgery in Aug it was 4 days without solid food and then nothing tasted good. Kind of like sawdust and ground up wet card board. In Aug I lost 45# in 22 days. I'm only 5'8" and went in at 180#. I got home and did not have a pair of pants that would stay over my but. It tool almost 10 weeks to put 20# back on.

If all goes well I hope to be in FL skiing in late March or early April.

Just don't try to go overboard too early and let nature take it's course and follow doctors orders.
I has a incision about 7" from my belly button down, but thought nothing of it. All my surgeon told me before I left the hospital was, not drive for 4 weeks and not lift anything over 25 pounds for 6 weeks, yea right! I naturally let my wife drive home from the hospital, got home and man I felt like a million dollars. Got the leaf blower out and got all the debris blown off everything and Lynn kept telling me to go sit down and relax, so I finally did. About 3 hours later the meds they gave me upon departure from the hospital wore off and I had to have something for the pain. I then spent the next two days on the couch and in the bed, afraid to do anything, I was so sore, but I only took that one pain pill after I got home. Seven weeks after surgery I packed up everything, loaded the van and hitched up the boat and we went to the 2000 MC boat owners reunion in Cypress Gardens, FL, and never looked back, except for the six weeks Chemo and Radiation one week later after we got back.

bigmac
01-09-2010, 12:16 AM
I never did understand why doctors tell their patients not to drive for 4 weeks after surgery. Doesn't make sense.

TMCNo1
01-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I never did understand why doctors tell their patients not to drive for 4 weeks after surgery. Doesn't make sense.

Me either, I wouldn't do anything for two weeks after the leafblower episode though.

bigmac
01-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Me either, I wouldn't do anything for two weeks after the leafblower episode though.

Yeh, but all it did was cause you pain. No damage. Those weight restrictions etc are even more pointless when the surgery is done laparoscopically. I know a person who tested for her black belt in tae kwon do 5 days after her gastric bypass.

barefoot
01-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Thank God you're alive! I have no idea what to say that would make the situation any better...just look forward to summer and keep a positive attitude

tex
01-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Good to hear you are doing better! Rock on!

whitedog
01-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Hopefully the worst is over Whitedog, I can relate I am recovering from surgery myself. I had a herniated disc, fractured vertebrae, and sublux between L4/L5. On 8-4-09 I had my L5 S1 disk removed, my L4/L5 fused, but still have fractured L5.
They went in through the front. 6" scar 3 days liquid diet and then 7 days of excruciating gas and bowl pain getting back to normal and I didn't have the pluming mods that you have had.
I feel for ya, pain and recovery sucks.
Good luck to you

Good luck with you recovery, I think I'll take mine this time. Back on a general dies as of yesterday and gas is moving the correct direction. This time around is not near as severe as last as I don't have all trauma along with the cutting. Last go around was a 14" vertical cut through my stomach and took about 7 days before i could even think about eating. That was after they opened me up 2x in 9 days do to a leak in the lower left colon. Sound like I head home on Tuesday.:)

whitedog
01-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

Willski
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Good luck with your continued recovery.