PDA

View Full Version : Gas line - fuel pump to carb

bwill14
01-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I need to replace my fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb.

88 Tristar 220
Indmar / Ford 351
Holley 4160

According to Skidim, the OEM line is no longer around. Can buy a universal/flexible line from there for $65. The PCM metal tube is $15, but will not work with the Indmar fuel pump.

Options:
1 - buy the universal line for $65
2 - buy a new PCM fuel pump for $80 and the metal line for $15 - have a new fuel pump for $30 more.
3 - try and bend the PCM metal tube to fit the Indmar fuel pump.

Any suggestions or other options?

Brent

east tx skier
01-06-2010, 02:21 PM
From reading previous threads, you can either use a flexible line or bend your own.

1redTA
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I used some coast guard approved fuel line. I have the feeling mow I should be using a metal or braided line?

TMCNo1
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I need to replace my fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb.

88 Tristar 220
Indmar / Ford 351
Holley 4160

According to Skidim, the OEM line is no longer around. Can buy a universal/flexible line from there for $65. The PCM metal tube is $15, but will not work with the Indmar fuel pump.

Options:
1 - buy the universal line for $65
2 - buy a new PCM fuel pump for $80 and the metal line for $15 - have a new fuel pump for $30 more.
3 - try and bend the PCM metal tube to fit the Indmar fuel pump.

Any suggestions or other options?

Brent

1 - Good option.
2 - Waste of money and time.
3 - It is too short and believe me, I tried and so have others, I opted for a 22" s/s braided line that bolts right up for $52 from a street rod shop,

TRBenj
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
3 - It is too short and believe me, I tried and so have others
Ive put a PCM fuel line on a non-original fuel pump (carter) and I was able to massage it to fit. The line bends easily. I have a very hard time believing it couldnt be made to reach an Indmar fuel pump... theyre not THAT different.

TMCNo1
01-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Ive put a PCM fuel line on a non-original fuel pump (carter) and I was able to massage it to fit. The line bends easily. I have a very hard time believing it couldnt be made to reach an Indmar fuel pump... theyre not THAT different.

All I know is the line I got from Skidim was stainless steel and I paid $20 to have it polished and while I was having some work done at my MasterCraft dealer, I and the mechanic tried every way possible to make it work and it wouldn't, so I gave it to someone last year who might could use it someday. That was one piece of chicken poop I couldn't make into chicken salad.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Bending your own is the cheapest way to go if you get it right he first or second time. If you have no experience in this, doing it yourself can be very frustrating as there are a few bends to make, and if you do one wrong there is no going back - just starting over on a new line.

TMCNo1 has the prettiest option.

You may consider going to an automotive shop and having them bend one for you.

bwill14
01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I think I am just going to go with the universal. My tube bending experience is pretty slim. Thanks everyone for the input.

Brent

bwill14
01-08-2010, 03:23 PM
TMCNo1,

That is one clean engine. Very nice. Do you have a coke can wrapped around your coil? Cool look, anything to that besides the look?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-08-2010, 03:25 PM
TMCNo1,

That is one clean engine. Very nice. Do you have a coke can wrapped around your coil? Cool look, anything to that besides the look?

It keeps his coil hydrated.

TMCNo1
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
TMCNo1,

It was a Coke can, but now it's a aluminum Bud bottle I got from Trickskier at CSM'07,

It keeps his coil hydrated.

And for looks!

TRBenj
01-08-2010, 03:48 PM
All I know is the line I got from Skidim was stainless steel and I paid $20 to have it polished and while I was having some work done at my MasterCraft dealer, I and the mechanic tried every way possible to make it work and it wouldn't, so I gave it to someone last year who might could use it someday. That was one piece of chicken poop I couldn't make into chicken salad.
Sounds like the line that PCM/Skidim sells is different nowadays. The one I put on my Ski Tique 2 years ago was brass colored and bent relatively easily by hand. The carter pump I had on that boat looks to have the same outlet angle as the Indmar. With how much wiggle room there is over the length of the line, I maintain that it can probably be made to work pretty easily. Its not rocket science.

hkallestad
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
1 - Good option.
2 - Waste of money and time.
3 - It is too short and believe me, I tried and so have others, I opted for a 22" s/s braided line that bolts right up for $52 from a street rod shop,

What kind of fittings do you have on your fuel line? NPT-AN on the pump and on the carb?

TMCNo1
03-07-2010, 04:38 PM
What kind of fittings do you have on your fuel line? NPT-AN on the pump and on the carb?

I have no idea, they just made it up using fittings to match the ones on the old steel line and it bolted right up.

hkallestad
03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Looks like automotive AN fittings, I'm thinking about making myself a line like that, just wondering if I should go for AN 4 or AN 6 fittings and hose(braided steel hose).

hkallestad
03-08-2010, 07:46 AM
I was thinking like this, racing look;-) Quite expensive fittings tho, so I might just buy the dull looking coastguard approved line from skidim.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I was thinking like this, racing look;-) Quite expensive fittings tho, so I might just buy the dull looking coastguard approved line from skidim.

That would certainly be the best looking option.