PDA

View Full Version : Performance Marine- Nashville

MrMan
01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
anyone know the skivvy on what's going on over there? all MasterCraft inventory is GONE and all but 1 MasterCraft sign has been taken down.

that's a damn shame; you'd think they'd be doing ok with all the recreational lakes here in the Mid-State.

they were carrying at least 3 other boat brands there and i wonder if that was good or bad.

stay warm boys and girls; Summer is gettin' closer!!

charles

JohnE
01-05-2010, 04:38 PM
No firsthand knowledge, but that has happened to a lot of dealers of a lot of brands from what I read online. ....economic downturn.....

helton333
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I sent them 2 requests for quotes, never even got a call back. Tried then to get a quote from another dealer in Cleveland and they said due to territorial issues, Performance had to do this.

Not like it was easy buying a new MC boat....

Sodar
01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/noticetocustomers2.htm

KnoxX2
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I know that in the past year or so they have changed owners.

MrMan
01-05-2010, 05:02 PM
yeah i had heard that the Taylors had sold it but didn't know how much truth there was in that.

the place looks deserted now; only about 8 boats on the lot.

so i guess Rambo Marine should benefit; those guys have it figured out anyway... classy operation, nice friendly people...

KnoxX2
01-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Same with American Boat Center in Knoxville! They have great service.

bcampbe7
01-05-2010, 05:25 PM
yeah i had heard that the Taylors had sold it but didn't know how much truth there was in that.

so i guess Rambo Marine should benefit; those guys have it figured out anyway... classy operation, nice friendly people...

Agreed! :cool:

VOLFAN
01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I had noticed their inventory was disappearing...

Helton.. contact boatworks in KY They can help you out for sure.

Taylors sold it probably couple years ago from what I was told.

cbryan70
01-05-2010, 09:41 PM
It isnt pretty selling boats........if you dont have the capital to make it through this crap it will be VERY tough

VOLFAN
01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
It also helps to have good customer service and not be A-holes..

I only had a couple good experiances when I went into Performance and that was with the guy that worked the counter. His name was D. Smith

I actually drive by that place almost every day and I get all my stuff from Boatworks 98% of the time.

cbryan70
01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Customer service helps....but when you cant get money for the customer.......although with mastercrafts crazy territory rule that may help

YTW
01-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Rambo Marine may be a good alternative. Contact them at 256-828-3590 and ask for Lex. It is just over the Tennesse/Alabama line straight down Hwy 231, which seems far but is only about 80 miles from Murfreesboro.

ProStar Slalom
01-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Yep, no loss for me. I gave Performance Marine two tries and they disappointed me both times. Scooter Rambo gets my vote for the local area.

caden
01-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I wondered the same thing this weekend. I figured they had moved inventory for the boat show this weekend.

BIGBADBLUE
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Interesting ... The place went seriously downhill after Greg left. That was almost 3 years ago.

So will MC be at the Nashville boat show? Does anyone know?

KnoxX2
01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Why Blue you looking to get a new boat this year!!!!

BIGBADBLUE
01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
You know me ... I am too broke to buy a new new boat ... the 94 205 still starts everytime ... besides I have a HB to pay off.

I was going to go to the boat show with the family to see the new MC's ... now maybe not

HDAVIS
01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Rambo marine is the best. I also live in the Nashville area and have heard some tales about Performance Marine. Would not go there for any reason. I would even pay more for a MC from Scooter at Rambo. They have great service, a good parts dept, and very friendly. They give good advice. Can't beat them. They really do appreciate their customers. It is not that much further away and you don't have to fight traffic to get there.

VOLFAN
01-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I will be at the boat show tomorrow so we will see...

Hey blue... if ya decide to go be at lobby at 3 meeting wpstevenson and bobby smith then...

Boatworks is a great option for people from around the Nashville area too. They are good people and always do whatever it takes to make the customer happy.

MCVOLS
01-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm in Knoxville, but had a little contact with Performance while looking for my new MC this past summer. Had a hard time getting call back.

What are your thoughts on American Boat Center in KX? I have been working with them since August, and have been very pleased so far. Good, quick service, reasonable prices, and they seem to be doing quite a bit as far as growing the local wakeboard scene.

BIGBADBLUE
01-09-2010, 10:15 AM
VF - We went last night. Performance only had '09's and selling them cheap. The previous owner is out and it looks like the Taylors are trying to buy it back. That would be good for Performance. I agree with VolFan ... Boatworks has been great to work with and they want to make you happy. They are top notch .

VOLFAN
01-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Well maybe Greg Taylor will buy it back. I store by boat at his storage buildings and he is a great guy and easy to work with. I get calls and letters from him asking for feedback and if I am happy with his storage buildings about every qtr. he really cares about his customers.

Looking forward to the boatshow.. we are heading out in a couple hours.

Blue are you going to the houseboat show in Louisville? We are planning on riding up there for it on that Saturday.

Footin
01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I knew Greg pretty well back in the 90's and I thought highly of him.

I did buy my Barefoot 200 from a guy at Performance and it was a good experience.

ProStar Slalom
01-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Well maybe Greg Taylor will buy it back. I store by boat at his storage buildings and he is a great guy and easy to work with. I get calls and letters from him asking for feedback and if I am happy with his storage buildings about every qtr. he really cares about his customers.

Looking forward to the boatshow.. we are heading out in a couple hours.

Blue are you going to the houseboat show in Louisville? We are planning on riding up there for it on that Saturday.

VOLFAN, did you make it to the show? Pretty disappointing compared to years past; I've been going for years and it was weird not having a single MasterCraft there. The rumor on the showroom floor was that Greg is trying to get the dealership back, but is struggling to get financing to do it...no surprise there.

VOLFAN
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
VOLFAN, did you make it to the show? Pretty disappointing compared to years past; I've been going for years and it was weird not having a single MasterCraft there. The rumor on the showroom floor was that Greg is trying to get the dealership back, but is struggling to get financing to do it...no surprise there.

I made it there and they had a few MC's which looked like they pretty much all sold...They had some pretty good deals on them.

They didn't have any 2010 models there.

Hopefully by early spring it will change hands back to Greg and he can rebuild the business.

The show in general was kind of a disappointment. With the Economy though kind of expected. The show is about 1/4 the size of the Louisville Boat Show.

ski/hunt
02-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Don't know the mileage diff. to Rambo from Nashville or American in Knoxville. I'd make the drive to American after my first experiance. Only had a used boat we just purchase checked out, but was very impressed when shop mgr. gave me 30 minutes of his time to explain how to fix my items that needed repair if I were to fix them myself. If I don't fix on my own they will get my work. Never been to Rambo yet but my 96 205 has stickers from there.

gregl
02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Boatworks is located north of you and will be glad to fill their shoes until the dealership can reopen which is planned for spring. 5024772628 www.kyboatworks.com

DBrown2
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
FYI Cleveland Boat Center Been in business for like 30 plus years... Cleveland TN... They are having a Demo/Test Days April 17 and 18... Chester Frost Park, in Chattanooga.

03 35th Anniversary
03-03-2010, 06:49 PM
It also helps to have good customer service and not be A-holes..

I only had a couple good experiances when I went into Performance and that was with the guy that worked the counter. His name was D. Smith

I actually drive by that place almost every day and I get all my stuff from Boatworks 98% of the time.

I had one experience with them trying to buy plugs and plug back in 07 when I was on vacation up there. After that I figured they deserved to fold!!!

It was not pleasant at all!!!

Footin
03-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Performance Marine's website is back up, did Mike Taylor buy it back?

ShamrockIV
03-13-2010, 09:39 PM
You know me ... I am too broke to buy a new new boat ... the 94 205 still starts everytime ... besides I have a HB to pay off.

I was going to go to the boat show with the family to see the new MC's ... now maybe not

u aint broke ur just tight ;)

ur my boy blue!!!!!!

VOLFAN
03-13-2010, 10:49 PM
sham glad to see ya make an apperance here on TT... Take care of yourself over in the sand!

samgreazy
04-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I talked to someone the other day, Performance got bought out a year or two ago and the person running in ran it into the ground. The guy that started Performance is opening another shop in Gallatin but it won't be open till the end of summer, till then they will be doing service in Smithville, think it will be called Aquasports something.

FoggyNogginz
04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Sam - Does that mean that Greg Taylor is opening a shop in Gallatin? Wrong side of the lake for me, but that might work. I rarely use a dealer for anything, but I did like the Taylors when they ran Performance.

VOLFAN
04-29-2010, 06:29 AM
Performance will not reopen as samgreaszy said the guy that bought it ran it into the ground...

Greg Taylor who owned Performance prior to the guy that ran it into the ground is opening a new store named Aqua Sport Marine...

They are currently located in Baxter, TN right off the I40 at exit 273.

This will be their temporary location until they get a new building built in lebanon at the Hwy 109exit off of I40

looking forward to the new stor locations as I pass them both daily...Will be nice havin' a dealer a lil closer and not being the dick that used to run performance.

FoggyNogginz
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info! This is awesome news for me too since I live in Mt Juliet and take 109 to 40 regularly. I keep my X9 in Greg's warehouses at 273 too, but I have never had any service done out there.

On the flip side, I have just spent the last hour beating on a cheap harmonic prop puller and if I had a shop close by I would not have spent that hour! LOL

VOLFAN
04-29-2010, 10:58 PM
kent I am in those storage building too.... fourth on the right 07' blue and black XStar... stop me if you see me in there. I put in down at Edgar Evins and have been staying down on that end of the lake at our house boat at Edgar Evins... yellow houseboat named takes two... if you see it out stop me.

FoggyNogginz
04-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Awesome! We are in a 2002 red X9, red bimini, with double black Infinity speakers on the tower versus the silver & white Clarion boxes (easiest way to tell ours apart form all the others). I'll be there next weekend if it doesn't rain us out!

leetudor
05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Aqua Sport Marine also has a parts and service center in Hermitage at 4050 Andrew Jackson Way next door to the Rusty Nail pub. The phone number is 615.872.7978

oxberger
05-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Good to hear they're coming back into the business. I had been to performance many times for parts on my '85 SS and Mike was always friendly enough but always seemd like if you weren't buying a boat, you were bothering him. Greg was always really nice and helpful. Anytime I had questions he would answer them the best he could or ask one of the service guys for me. I stopped going when it changed hands. I needed my gas tank replaced (still do) and they ordered one for me. When it came in it was blatantly obvious it was not correct, they sent it back, and ordered another one, which was also not the right one. They made me buy it saying they couldn't return another one and this was a special order. That was never mentioned when it was ordered. They lost my business immediately. Smart of the Taylors not to use the Performance name. Whoever had it last soiled it.

BIGBADBLUE
05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
This is good news. Greg is a good guy and runs a good business. He has always taken care of me. I bought a new houseboat from him and he continues to provide good service to me.