PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Downloads

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 05:57 PM
I was just curious about how many songs do you guy's and gal's have down loaded on your ipod's or mp3 players. I have around 30,000 so far.

justinglow
12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Jeez. I thought I had a lot at around 2,000. How many did you buy from I-tunes?

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Copyright infringement.

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I had about 6,000 song's. Then my wife's boss who is a music nut gave me a gift, it was a 500 gb my book with 25,000 songs on it. And yes he has that many cd's.

Sodar
12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I really do not know how many songs, but I have a 250gb HD full with movies and a 120gb HD full with movies and music. I think in total I have right at 50gb of songs... not much when compared to others' collections.

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Are we pissing for distance??? I have 59,000 songs I got from a one-eyed deaf Cajun sheriff.

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 08:02 PM
The reason music sucks now and will forever is that no one pays for the music anymore. Justify as you will.

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Copyright infringement.

You are the one that said it was Copyright infringement. It was a gift. I was just asking the question how many songs people had put on their ipod.:D

bigmac
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
The reason music sucks now and will forever is that no one pays for the music anymore. Justify as you will.

Interesting hypothesis. I might be more inclined to blame the self-indulgent artists and record labels themselves, but I'll grant you that stealing intellectual property is counterproductive.

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Interesting hypothesis. I might be more inclined to blame the self-indulgent artists and record labels themselves, but I'll grant you that stealing intellectual property is counterproductive.

There is that Minnesota leaking out. :D

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 08:18 PM
You are the one that said it was Copyright infringement. It was a gift. I was just asking the question how many songs people had put on their ipod.:D

Are you pre-law??

ridesdirt
12-30-2009, 10:01 PM
105,000 files. assuming 20% are artwork, that leaves about 84,000 songs.

DemolitionMan
12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
That's a lot of song's.

SkiDog
12-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Copyright infringement.

YOU'VE never done this, Mr. Perfect?

DemolitionMan
12-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Who do you think shut down napster. TX's real name is Lars Ulrich the drummer from Metallica.:D

SkiDog
12-30-2009, 11:53 PM

Welcome to the 21st century. And I'm certainly not saying its right, but whens the last time you went to a music store and BOUGHT a CD?

DemolitionMan
12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
I think I bought one like a year ago.

DemolitionMan
12-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Are you pre-law??

Nope. I am a demolition contractor. :D

bigmac
12-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the 21st century. And I'm certainly not saying its right, but whens the last time you went to a music store and BOUGHT a CD?The inability of record labels to make a buck off of online music sales is a result of their own lack of foresight, planning, and imagination. They didn't foresee or grab the market, Steve Jobs did.

I spend a lot of money downloading music, movies, and TV shows from iTunes, but if you're talking about the THEFT of music such as what Yellow describes in his voluminous music library, then yeah, I'm sure revenues are down.

JimN
12-31-2009, 12:21 AM
The only time I play MP3 files is when I access my music server over the internet. The rest of the time, it's .wav files and I don't have an iPod because I don't like to wear headphones. The head unit in my truck doesn't have an aux input and I'd rather hear quality than have a little portable player. When I get one, I'll use .wav or AAC files, not MP3. My iTunes files are all .wav and AAC, too.

east tx skier
12-31-2009, 11:57 AM

I blame Clear Channel, American Idol, and Guitar Hero. Without those things, there might be variety on terrestrial radio, the notion of working hard to achieve success in the music business, and more people learning to play a real guitar.

There are, doubtlessly, other factors at play. But those always jump out at me.

There is still good music out there. You just have to look a bit harder for it than you once did.

east tx skier
12-31-2009, 12:00 PM
The only time I play MP3 files is when I access my music server over the internet. The rest of the time, it's .wav files and I don't have an iPod because I don't like to wear headphones. The head unit in my truck doesn't have an aux input and I'd rather hear quality than have a little portable player. When I get one, I'll use .wav or AAC files, not MP3. My iTunes files are all .wav and AAC, too.

.shn, Jim? Isn't there a lossless WMA file, too?

I'm guilty of sacrificing quality for portability. The one benefit of MP3 is compatibility. The tuners are doing a bit better with handling AAC though. I don't even have a CD player in my truck anymore. Just a USB port in the console for a flash drive or ipod.

JimN
12-31-2009, 12:04 PM
I blame Clear Channel, American Idol, and Guitar Hero. Without those things, there might be variety on terrestrial radio, the notion of working hard to achieve success in the music business, and more people learning to play a real guitar.

There are, doubtlessly, other factors at play. But those always jump out at me.

There is still good music out there. You just have to look a bit harder for it than you once did.

I don't know much about your local commercial radio stations but we haven't had good variety on ours here in decades- long before Clear Channel bought everything and watered it down. People complaining about this only gets things like "No repeat work week", which only means they won't repeat a song in one day's work shift, roughly from 10 AM to 6PM. Oh, boy.

I'm pretty sure the radio stations want to avoid the free for all programming of the early '70s when a DJ would put an album on and go outside for a joint or to get some (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

DemolitionMan
12-31-2009, 12:07 PM
At least we still have talk radio.

JimN
12-31-2009, 12:10 PM
.shn, Jim? Isn't there a lossless WMA file, too?

I'm guilty of sacrificing quality for portability. The one benefit of MP3 is compatibility. The tuners are doing a bit better with handling AAC though. I don't even have a CD player in my truck anymore. Just a USB port in the console for a flash drive or ipod.

I use .wav because the server is designed to use them. I play fewer CDs now and then I can remove one group of virtual CDs by deleting them and then just synch the server to iTunes to bring different ones into the server (ran out of hard drive space and that's the difference between the cost of the various models). I could put a different head unit in the truck but the one I have works, so....

JimN
12-31-2009, 12:11 PM
At least we still have talk radio.

I enjoy hearing people talk and rant to themselves.

east tx skier
12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't know much about your local commercial radio stations but we haven't had good variety on ours here in decades- long before Clear Channel bought everything and watered it down. People complaining about this only gets things like "No repeat work week", which only means they won't repeat a song in one day's work shift, roughly from 10 AM to 6PM. Oh, boy.

I'm pretty sure the radio stations want to avoid the free for all programming of the early '70s when a DJ would put an album on and go outside for a joint or to get some (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Okay, so I blame Clear Channel and whoever came up with Two-fer Tuesday.

Are DJ's those things that come in once a week to record the stuff that gets looped throughout the daily play cycle?

I haven't listened to the radio (even a fairly good FM talk setup out of Dallas) for the better part of a couple of years. Podcasts are great and I never have to miss any of it when I get out of the car.

DemolitionMan
12-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I like my ipod, xm radio, and am talk radio.

JimN
12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Okay, so I blame Clear Channel and whoever came up with Two-fer Tuesday.

Are DJ's those things that come in once a week to record the stuff that gets looped throughout the daily play cycle?

I haven't listened to the radio (even a fairly good FM talk setup out of Dallas) for the better part of a couple of years. Podcasts are great and I never have to miss any of it when I get out of the car.

I think they have interns and production assistants for maintaining the playlists. I think the "DJs" just like to refer to themselves as the "talent". Here, most of them are dumb as a bag of hammers but I'd like a station similar to WXRT. They still play a decent variety of good tunes. Unfortunately, the hill in Racine blocks the signal from getting all the way to MKE, so I guess I'll have to connect the desktop to the stereo and stream it.

SkiDog
12-31-2009, 01:17 PM
The inability of record labels to make a buck off of online music sales is a result of their own lack of foresight, planning, and imagination. They didn't foresee or grab the market, Steve Jobs did.

I spend a lot of money downloading music, movies, and TV shows from iTunes, but if you're talking about the THEFT of music such as what Yellow describes in his voluminous music library, then yeah, I'm sure revenues are down.

There ya go, adding words that weren't said. He NEVER said those songs weren't PAID FOR.

DemolitionMan
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks Ski Dog. Man I can't believe I am being called a thief for having a lot of song's on my IPOD.:confused:

bigmac
12-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks Ski Dog. Man I can't believe I am being called a thief for having a lot of song's on my IPOD.:confused:

Tell me that you paid market price to the copyright owners for those 25,000 songs your wife's boss gave you on that 500 gig hard drive. Alternatively, tell me that your wife's boss paid market price for the copyrights to give you copies of those 25,000 songs.

DemolitionMan
12-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Tell me that you paid market price to the copyright owners for those 25,000 songs your wife's boss gave you on that 500 gig hard drive. Alternatively, tell me that your wife's boss paid market price for the copyrights to give you copies of those 25,000 songs.

Bigmac, I don't know what he paid for them. I never ask people how much my gifts cost.:D In fact some of the songs that are on there are one's that he has written.

DemolitionMan
12-31-2009, 04:26 PM
I started this thread to find out how many song's people had on there Ipods not to get bashed are called names.:D