PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer Stepping Down

Slinkyredfoot
12-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey Trick what is up with this, citing health issues? Late breaking and very strange :confused:

TMCNo1
12-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Isn't Bobby Bowden looking for a job?:rolleyes::D
'After you retire, there's only one big event left... being Head Coach at the University of Florida.'

kycat2007
12-26-2009, 07:59 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/-Health-issues-force-Urban-Meyer-out-at-Florida?urn=ncaaf,210858

Chief
12-26-2009, 10:00 PM
He's clinically depressed since Timmy is leaving.

TX.X-30 fan
12-27-2009, 11:06 AM

That's quality........................................... ..........:D:D

VOLFAN
12-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I heard Phil was making a trip down to Gainesville.

TX.X-30 fan
12-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I would guess this is ahead of revelations of massive NCAA violations and penalties.

broncotw
12-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Who cares? BOTH Meyer and Tebow are OVERRATED!!!

scott023
12-27-2009, 01:51 PM

WHAT??? I'll agree on Tebow, but take a look at Meyers track record and I'd have to assume you either a) really dislike him or b) are talking out your a$$ because you're a Horns fan.

Either way your comment is off base. Also, for the record I HATE UF.

DemolitionMan
12-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Meyer is not leaving now. He talked to Brett Farve.:D:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

trickskier
12-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Meyer is not leaving now. He talked to Brett Farve.:D:D

That means he'll resign and change his mind about 4 more times before the start of next season.............:D

By the way how is Richt coming on his restaffing???

trickskier
12-27-2009, 04:50 PM

That's quality........................................... ..........:D:D

You two spooning again? 8p

scott023
12-27-2009, 05:14 PM
You two spooning again? 8p

Maybe that's why Meyer is having issues... no more Tebow to spoon next year? You're close to the situation Rick... what do you know?

trickskier
12-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Maybe that's why Meyer is having issues... no more Tebow to spoon next year? You're close to the situation Rick... what do you know?

Urban's on ESPN now, listen for yourself...............I love how you guys enjoy making fun of Coach Meyer's heath issues............

Hope it never happens to anyone in your family.

DemolitionMan
12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Don't get your feather's in a ruffle Trick. People are just messing with you. No one want's to see Urban have bad health.:)

TX.X-30 fan
12-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I didn't know he was ill??? Just figured it was BS to move on take next season off and land 7 million a year after that??

Does he have a medical history of something?

TX.X-30 fan
12-27-2009, 06:29 PM
No spooning with Chief, little footsie but that's it.

DemolitionMan
12-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I believe that he had a cyst on his brain like ten years ago. It could be that again.

trickskier
12-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I didn't know he was ill??? Just figured it was BS to move on take next season off and land 7 million a year after that??

Does he have a medical history of something?

News travels slow to texas...........Like everything else you're always the last to know. :D

Slinkyredfoot
12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
So Trick are you really bummin or what?

Thanks to whoever corrected my spelling errors, the Colts are now defeated

trickskier
12-27-2009, 07:23 PM
So Trick are you really bummin or what?

Thanks to whoever corrected my spelling errors, the Colts are now defeated

Not at all - Urban is a great coach and he said in his press conference that he fully expects to be on the sidelines for the first game next year. We'll see.............

TX.X-30 fan
12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
News travels slow to texas...........Like everything else you're always the last to know. :D

I had heard about the genital warts but had not idea that would sideline him. :D

trickskier
12-27-2009, 07:32 PM
I had heard about the genital warts but had not idea that would sideline him. :D

That happened back in Utah...........8p

scott023
12-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Urban's on ESPN now, listen for yourself...............I love how you guys enjoy making fun of Coach Meyer's heath issues............

Hey listenhere, where did I make fun of health issues? The original story was he had stepped down, which was what I was commenting on. I certainly wouldn't have made light of the situation if it had been reported properly.

SunCoast 83
12-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Maybe he will take the job with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers!!

He will coach next year...you heard it here first.

......unless he has Dick Vermiel Syndrome

boyd
12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I've been a fan of Meyer's for a long time. However, I"m very dissappointed that he made his announcement this week. For goodness sake let the team have the 'limelight'. The biggest week in college football and we are talking about a coaches health issues and whether or not he's coming back. I think it was very selfish. How does someone in that position change his mind soooo fast about coming back or not. Silly, silly. He should have put much thought into this decision prior to making the announcement.
Again ...... immature decision making. Bad timing. Big dissappointment !!!!!!!!

I'm not even going to watch the game. Only because that is all they are going to talk about. Who's going to take over etc....... Every reporter will be asking questions about next year. Again ...... taking attention away from the players. : (

BOYD

Slinkyredfoot
12-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Not at all - Urban is a great coach and he said in his press conference that he fully expects to be on the sidelines for the first game next year. We'll see.............

Now I read in the paper this morning he is just taking a leave of absence??? I am confused but it doesn't take much for me to be confused :D

trickskier
12-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Maybe that's why Meyer is having issues... no more Tebow to spoon next year?

Hey listenhere, where did I make fun of health issues? The original story was he had stepped down, which was what I was commenting on. I certainly wouldn't have made light of the situation if it had been reported properly.

Had you read the link in the 3rd post by Kycat the headline reads:

'Health issues' force premature end to Urban Meyer era at Florida

trickskier
12-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Now I read in the paper this morning he is just taking a leave of absence??? I am confused but it doesn't take much for me to be confused :D

He said in his news conference that after talking to the team "THEY" changed his mind. He then called Jeremy Foley and asked if he could take a leave of absence to address his health issues.

Link to press conference:

http://www.gatorvision.tv/newMediaPlayer/consolewmp.htm?id=666126&CLIP_ID=656369&SPSID=&CLIP_FILE_ID=666126&DB_MENU_ID=&type=vod&DB_OEM_ID=6500&oemid=6500&SPID=

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Scott did you edit your post? Because that's not what you posted last night.

captain planet
12-28-2009, 10:21 AM

Don't get your feather's in a ruffle Trick. People are just messing with you. No one want's to see Urban have bad health.:)

Yea, settle down Tricky. If you didn't post that freaking oversized gaytor every 5th post we might not be on you so much now. ;)

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 10:29 AM

Could have been Drake on his computer again :mad:

captain planet
12-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I've been a fan of Meyer's for a long time. However, I"m very dissappointed that he made his announcement this week. For goodness sake let the team have the 'limelight'. The biggest week in college football and we are talking about a coaches health issues and whether or not he's coming back. I think it was very selfish. How does someone in that position change his mind soooo fast about coming back or not. Silly, silly. He should have put much thought into this decision prior to making the announcement.

I'm not even going to watch the game. Only because that is all they are going to talk about. Who's going to take over etc....... Every reporter will be asking questions about next year. Again ...... taking attention away from the players. : (

BOYD
Agreed. Of all the weeks to come out with this. Since they are not in the NC game, they have to get the attention one way or another. I guess tebag learned to be an attention whore from his coach...and now it is coach's turn to demand attention. :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Agreed. Of all the weeks to come out with this. Since they are not in the NC game, they have to get the attention one way or another. I guess tebag learned to be an attention whore from his coach...and now it is coach's turn to demand attention. :rolleyes:

I had not looked at it from Boyd's position, very coercive point.

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Last night on espn they talked about how Urban should have waited until after the sugar bowl so that it would not take away from his players.

broncotw
12-28-2009, 11:12 AM
OK! I agree Meyer is a GREAT coach and may of mis-spoke in regards to that issue..... I will NOT back down from my statement that Tebow is overrated because he is..... What's all of this flip-flopping? You gonna coach or NOT?

scott023
12-28-2009, 11:13 AM
OK! I agree Meyer is a GREAT coach and may of mis-spoke in regards to that issue..... I will NOT back down from my statement that Tebow is overrated because he is..... What's all of this flip-flopping? You gonna coach or NOT?

Won't get a lot of resistance to that statement.

scott023
12-28-2009, 11:15 AM

I did edit it... look at the bottom of the post and it tells you that smarta$$. I was trying to be nice, but there really is no point in doing that when Trick is talking about his Gators. Bangbus.

trickskier
12-28-2009, 11:50 AM

I did edit it... look at the bottom of the post and it tells you that smarta$$. I was trying to be nice, but there really is no point in doing that when Trick is talking about his Gators. Bangbus.

Wow, the guy asks a simple question and gets a reply like this???.......:rolleyes:

Maristar210
12-28-2009, 12:04 PM

BOYD

This is absolutely SPOT ON. You couldnt wait until Jan. 10th to pull this Brett Favre shi t?
ME ME ME ME MEYER

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 12:57 PM

I'm sorry Scott I did not see that at the bottom. I did not know if you had edited it or a moderator. But thanks for the nice response.:)

scott023
12-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Wow, the guy asks a simple question and gets a reply like this, and you call me a chode.......:rolleyes:

There was no ill intent directed towards yellow78... I'm quite sure he knew I edited my post Rick, anyone can see that at the bottom of it. Also, if I offended him by calling him a SA, I apologize. Last time I checked that term wasn't considered offensive.

Your protection of your beloved Gators is almost disturbing, so there really is no point in debating issues that pertain to this team with you. Your loyalty to them is beyond fan, it's fanatic.

captain planet
12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Wow, the guy asks a simple question and gets a reply like this, and you call me a chode.......:rolleyes:

Chode\ (ch[=o]d), the old imp. of chide. See Chide.

chide  /[chahyd] 1. to express disapproval of; scold; reproach: The principal chided the children for their thoughtless pranks.
2. to harass, nag, impel, or the like by chiding: She chided him into apologizing.

–verb (used without object) 3. to scold or reproach; find fault.

Just having fun Tricky. :D

scott023
12-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry Scott I did not see that at the bottom. I did not know if you had edited it or a moderator. But thanks for the nice response.:)

I genuinely thought you were just razzing me. I apologize if I offended you, that certainly wasn't my intention.

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 01:29 PM
I refuse to apologise to David Maloy. :D

TallRedRider
12-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I was a big fan of Urban's since he coached at Utah, my alma mater. But this is ridiculous. I expected a revelation that he had some sort of cancer or something other than a chronic problem of the job is taking its toll on him.

Shame on him for detracting from the team. He couldn't wait a week?

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I believe that we should all stop bashing other TT members favorite teams. I understand that if your favorite team is playing a fellow TT members team that their will be some trash talking. But to just go out and bash a team for anything is a little ridiculous. We all have are favorite team, so if you want to brag on your team thats great, just leave the bashing of others out. We should all come to this forum to help each other out, not to tear each other down. I have been a suporter of MC and MC events since 1999. And since 2006 their has not been a lot of MC events so people come here to get their information. So if we keep bashing and baiting people to get mad, pretty soon their will be no one here, and I personally do not want to see that happen. Thanks Paxton.

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm verklempt

helton333
12-28-2009, 03:21 PM
It seems exploitatious to the players going in to a bowl game. Guys need to win because they worked hard all year, not because a coach needs to go out on a good note. I hate to see him go because lord knows he and Kiffen would be a hoot to watch over the coming years. But this is strange. Someone once told me that a good definition of being "professional" is doing what you have to do, even when you don't feel like it....

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Tx I am glad that you are emotional.:D

SkiDog
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Tx I am glad that you are emotional.:D

Are you kiddin?! This guy wouldn't cry at his mama's funeral!:D

trickskier
12-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Chode\ (ch[=o]d), the old imp. of chide. See Chide.

chide  /[chahyd] 1. to express disapproval of; scold; reproach: The principal chided the children for their thoughtless pranks.
2. to harass, nag, impel, or the like by chiding: She chided him into apologizing.

–verb (used without object) 3. to scold or reproach; find fault.

Just having fun Tricky. :D

Thanks CP - I know you've always got my back................:rolleyes:

trickskier
12-28-2009, 04:21 PM

BOYD

That was my first reaction as well..............But then I heard Coach Meyer say on ESPN last night that he had been having chest pains for the last 3 years. After the SEC game he woke up in the middle of the night with chest pains. He said when he got out of bed the pain was so severe that he passed out.

His doctors also told him that if he didn't take a break that it could possibly lead to more serious health issues. From what he has said (and hasn't said) I'm sure his family & doctor's pressured him to make the announcement when he did.

Sodar
12-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Who is Urban Meyer, anyways? :confused:

I just heard a news report that Chuckie Weis was on his way down to Florida for an interview... :D

I hope Meyers gets well and is able to return to all the $$$$ his LOA/Resignment will bring him in the future.

bobx1
12-28-2009, 04:32 PM
At least Meyer is leaving for health reasons and while the timing of the announcement was not great, at least he did not pull a Nick Saban (1 week before LSU was to appear in the Capitol One Bowl).

Nick Saban announced on December 25, 2004 that he was heading for the Miami Dolphins for more $$$$$.

Monte
12-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I agree that it was somewhat bad timing on his part, but how many people would he have been able to tell before it hit the news? Does he go to his boss and say, don't let this out, but the docs have told me I need to step back. How many quality coaches does his boss get to call and say "Urban is out are you in?" before the cat gets let out of the bag. When does he go to the players? At least he did not lie and say "I am here for the duration" then blindside everybody. Is there ever a good time for bad news? I don't think it has anything to do with attention. It has everything to do with timing and letting your employer know that they will need to find a replacement very soon. The AD at UF would have to be on the phone immediately. With the competitive nature and high stakes in college football. Every minute would count in finding someone to fill shoes that big. Better to start cutting deals before the hemets and pads are put away for another season IMHO. It is all a moot point now that he is simply taking a leave of absence, but what was he supposed to do?

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Good point Monte.:)

trickskier
12-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I agree that it was bad somewhat bad timing on his part, but how many people would he have been able to tell before it hit the news? Does he go to his boss and say, don't let this out, but the docs have told me I need to step back. How many quality coaches does his boss get to call and say "Urban is out are you in?" before the cat gets let out of the bag. When does he go to the players? At least he did not lie and say "I am here for the duration" then blindside everybody. Is there ever a good time for bad news? I don't think it has anything to do with attention. It has everything to do with timing and letting your employer know that they will need to find a replacement very soon. The AD at UF would have to be on the phone immediately. With the competitive nature and high stakes in college football. Every minute would count in finding someone to fill shoes that big. Better to start cutting deals before the hemets and pads are put away for another season IMHO. It is all a moot point now that he is simply taking a leave of absence, but what was he supposed to do?

Well said Bert!

scott023
12-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree that it was somewhat bad timing on his part, but how many people would he have been able to tell before it hit the news? Does he go to his boss and say, don't let this out, but the docs have told me I need to step back. How many quality coaches does his boss get to call and say "Urban is out are you in?" before the cat gets let out of the bag. When does he go to the players? At least he did not lie and say "I am here for the duration" then blindside everybody. Is there ever a good time for bad news? I don't think it has anything to do with attention. It has everything to do with timing and letting your employer know that they will need to find a replacement very soon. The AD at UF would have to be on the phone immediately. With the competitive nature and high stakes in college football. Every minute would count in finding someone to fill shoes that big. Better to start cutting deals before the hemets and pads are put away for another season IMHO. It is all a moot point now that he is simply taking a leave of absence, but what was he supposed to do?

I agree... well said. Meyer has never seemed like a limelight guy to me. I don't think this is the way he wanted it to play out.

Maristar210
12-28-2009, 06:03 PM
The last time I had this much fun there was a room full of hookers and a big bag of Cocaine :wavey:

scott023
12-28-2009, 06:23 PM
The last time I had this much fun there was a room full of hookers and a big bag of Cocaine :wavey:

Only a week ago then? :D

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 06:56 PM

So your in law enforcement?? Thanks for the service brother. :D

JohnE
12-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I refuse to apologise to David Maloy. :D

Ha! Made me laugh.:D

TMCNo1
12-28-2009, 07:17 PM

Was it a Tiger Woods party?:rolleyes::D

Monte
12-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Was it a Tiger Woods party?:rolleyes::D

I was thinking it was a Senate or House party, but it could go either way:rolleyes::D

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Ha! Made me laugh.:D

You are one sharp electrician. :D

Jim@BAWS
12-31-2009, 04:34 PM

Only if you are from TEXAS !!!

TX.X-30 fan
12-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Only if you are from TEXAS !!!

Really :confused::confused:

cbryan70
12-31-2009, 04:57 PM

You stick to texas football.....let flordia do flordia football.....GOT IT? :D :ROTF:

TX.X-30 fan
12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Flordia ffotball is just NFL farm teams in disguise.

Ric
12-31-2009, 05:33 PM
No........ not really