PDA

View Full Version : 87' Prostar 190 Power Slot Restoration

glassmaster
12-26-2009, 10:25 AM
This is a 1987 Prostar 190 Power Slot I bought for $300.00, just a couple of weeks ago. I am almost embarrassed to even post these pics on here. All I can say is," I didn't do it." I am just trying to be its saving grace.

I have never owned a MasterCraft before but have always wanted one and I could not pass it up for the price. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me but I have restored many other things just not a ski boat.

If anyone can point me in a direction of where I can find a port side wing window and where I can get the weather stripping at. I think that is the only thing that I can't find the rest of the boat is pretty much there just in need of some work.

I talked to a guy that has restored boat finishes for years at MasterCraft in Orlando and he said that he can make this thing shine like new again. Any suggestions?

Also should I remove the top cap of the boat to replace carpet or do I have to? Common sense tells me that It would be easier for carpeting, but I don't know if it would be worth the extra effort just for carpeting.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stuart

thatsmrmastercraft
12-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Welcome to Team Talk. Looks like someone dished up a large serving of neglect. At $300 you can't hardly go wrong. I am not the one to advise you where to get the glass or the weatherstripping, but someone will surely be along soon to lend a helping hand.

Best of luck with all the upcoming work!

east tx skier
12-26-2009, 03:16 PM
The mirror and lifting rings look to be in good shape. At $300, you've already broken even. Good luck with the restore!

TMCNo1
12-26-2009, 03:36 PM
As I posted in another thread to you, "This thread will get you just about through the entire process, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=12550" (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12550)

Isn't that window wing made of plexiglass? If you can find some hinges, weatherstripping and the latch, any auto glass shop can cut you a new one from Plexiglass or safety glass.
You can also check here for the pieces you need, if you have the $, http://www.marineglassspecialties.com/
Also check with Lex, here, http://www.rambomarine.com/component/option,com_artforms/Itemid,17/formid,1%20/, they have been known to carry a lot of parts for some older boats.

Patsfan
12-26-2009, 08:37 PM
You did well at $300 I just bought the same boat for $2,000 with cracked manifolds. The rest of the boat is pretty clean.
I'll post some pics soon.
We are working on the motor now then I'm taking it to Leading Edge for gelcoat, carpet,interior and decals. They just refurbed the 1998 UT Ski Team boat and it turned out sweet. Look forward to see how your project comes along.
Happy New Year!

americanskierJim
12-26-2009, 10:44 PM
It must be the right time of year to get a M/C cheep if your in the right spot at the right time. Great find hope it all goes well for you and see how the end turns out.

glassmaster
12-27-2009, 12:10 AM
TMCno1, I will try out those places on Monday. No the window is tempered safety glass and the hinge is built in to the frame. I will be removing the entire windshield frame from the boat when it is refinished. Right now I am just going through everything mechanical to see what works. I just figured I get the word out for the hard to find stuff.

Today I finally got to a point where I could put it in the water and see if the tranny works. So far so good I just have a leaky raw water pump and the drive shaft has a very fast leak coming around it where it goes through the boat.
Other than needing a carb rebuild it runs surprisingly strong. I was amased at how much power it has. This is my first MasterCraft so I did not know what to expect, especially in the shape it is in.
These of some pics of getting it ready to water test. I will post more as I take them.

glassmaster
12-27-2009, 12:12 AM
here's a few more

cbryan70
12-27-2009, 12:14 AM
just need some new packing material for the driveshaft and that should stop the leak. On the water pump where is it leaking? May just be a bad seal, i would get a new impeller if you havnt already and I believe those come with a new gasket

glassmaster
12-27-2009, 12:36 AM
The pump is leaking past the rear seal. I took it off and the impeller out and I could not see how to replace the seal it looks pressed in to me. Is there a way to replace that seal? I will most likely order a new pump and hoses on Monday.

cbryan70
12-27-2009, 12:39 AM
I beleive that seal comes out. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5008 can get a new one there.

cbryan70
12-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Thought there was an O ring as well but I am thinking im wrong. this is the packing I was refering to http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO1/4X24, there is a 'how to' in the FAQ's area on the forum that gives you a good idea how to do it. this should stop the water from coming through the shaft....dealt with this last year. Not sure how familiar you are with inboards.....looks like a good project boats....lots of elbow grease and she will come back. Would recommend a cover that goes over the sides as well to protect that red, once it fades it will always fade faster it seems. I know ranken and some other cover manufacturers make them.

TMCNo1
12-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Here are two stuffing box/shaft log adjustment and/or packing replacement tutorials, http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=159060&postcount=31 and http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=503319&postcount=39, using the packing rope of your choice shown in a previous thread. While you've got the boat disassembled, you can always replace the shaft log with a dripless one here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1032 or here, http://www.ojprops.com/products/shaft_seals

If your raw water pump rear seal is leaking at the bearing, it is just as practical and economical to replace the entire pump that comes with a new installed impeller, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA057023, but if you want to rebuild it, you can do it using this tutirial, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=168509&postcount=2, which includes part numbers if you can find them here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1094. Always call http://www.skidim.com/contactus.asp, to be sure you get all the stuff you need.

coz
12-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I beleive that seal comes out. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5008 can get a new one there.

He more than likely needs this for the raw water pump http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5004 It's behind the impellar where the shaft comes through, I had to do mine a couple years ago and it's better than paying for a complete pump.....just be careful getting the old one out and don't damage the housing.

Looks like a fun rehab, best of luck to ya :headbang:

Kevin&Annie
12-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Great project..and fantastic price. We have an '88 that we have slowly been bringing back. Can't wait to follow the project!

damaged442
12-27-2009, 02:27 PM
$300...and it runs and drives? Sounds like a great score to me!! Thanks for trying to bring it back! Keep those pics coming!

glassmaster
12-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Wow, this is the first time I have been involved in some kind of forum before and all I have to say is the support is unbelievable. After the short time I have been on here I am convinced that there is no other place to go but here to get the help and info I need for this rebuild.
I can't thank all that post here enough. I have learned a great deal in such a short time.

Thank you all

I just wish that the rest of the world was as cooperative and helpfull

TMCNo1
12-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Glassmaster, if you follow the info in this thread you will be able to get your Guest status cleared up, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=26931 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26931). Due to a log-in glitch when you joined, you show up in the Members List as a regular member, but your posts/threads show up as a Guest, therefore you can't Private Message among other features.

liledgy
12-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Glass, I hate you! Hehe just kidding nice score. My second MC was a 87 I ordered in jan. Of 87. I paid $15157.00 more than you did with a slot and cover lol.

mayo93prostar
12-28-2009, 12:26 AM
glass, hell of a deal, especially since it floats and runs. you will find lots of info on here and you can get parts from www.skidim.com. good people to deal with. i replaced whole water pump on my 87 when it started leaking. good luck and keep us up on the resto. we like pics. how many hours on boat?

glassmaster
12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Just to set the record strait;
I bought it for $300 and it did not run or steer and the prop was beat up. The distributor was missing pieces and there was no fire to the coil.
When I got it home I put plugs wires and a conversion kit in the distributor changing it from points to electronic ignition, and fixed the coil problem and it fired right up.
After running it I noticed the crank pump was leaking and the fiberglass mufflers/silencers were leaking through a few cracks.
So I took the mufflers/silencers off and then I filled in low spots and laid some heavy matt and resin on them to seal them to make them super strong, sanded once again, painted them and reinstalled.
Took the steering out of the boat completely disassembled it even took the cable out of the sheath cleaned everything up ,oiled it and put it back in.
Then pressure washed the boat to remove old carpet glue and funk.
Found a refurb prop on line put it on and took it to the boat ramp to see if the tranny worked and like I said earlier was surprised at the power it had.
I wanted to see if I could get it in running condition before I completely restored the boat just to see what I had.
The purchase of this boat was unexpected and I could not pass it up after doing a compression test on the motor. So I was not expecting another project, but surprisingly my wife is ok with this project as long as it is done by spring.

So far so good.

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 11:59 AM
That was still a heck of a deal.:D

thatsmrmastercraft
12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
That was still a heck of a deal.:D

I'll second that. Plenty of work ahead. Thats a big part of the fun.

glassmaster
12-31-2009, 08:58 PM
These are some pics after pressure washing. Much better

DemolitionMan
12-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Look's a lot cleaner now.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Definitely moving in the right direction.

glassmaster
01-01-2010, 04:01 PM
There are some healthy chips and gouges through to the glass in some areas, mostly under the water line. Also the gel coat is worn off to the glass along the bottom of the hull as you could imagine with the neglect and age of the boat.
I plan on separating the cap and flipping the hull over to restore the finish.
It looks like I will be doing some gel coating.
I have not used gel coat before but I have done a ton of fiber glass, auto body work and painting type stuff in the past.
How would I be able to match the colors?
I am going to have the boat oxidation removed and restored by http://www.abrilliantfinish.com/gallery.html and I thought I would fill in all the scratches and gouges before he does the work so I was wondering if it could be matched enough to not be able to notice after it is refinished.
Or should I just go with painting the boat?

Any suggestions?

DemolitionMan
01-01-2010, 04:31 PM
That is going to be a nice looking boat.:)

glassmaster
01-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Yellow, did you do a complete restore to your boat? From what I could see in the trailer photo it looks sweet. I had a 1965 Chevelle that I painted that was pretty close to that color.

DemolitionMan
01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes I did. Go to my profile and look at my photo album.

glassmaster
01-01-2010, 07:49 PM
I am still trying to get used to this forum thing. I have not had much luck on getting out of guest mode. I emailed the right person I think. But I know it is the holidays.
I'll check em out

Jim@BAWS
01-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I have to check...please send me an email as I cannot send you a PM or an email to your account. I may have just 1 SIDE VENTED 87 windshield wing in stock

Also if you need graphics...I have everything you need

Good looking project. Keep us posted

Jim@BAWS jim.baws@verizon.net

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com

This is a 1987 Prostar 190 Power Slot I bought for $300.00, just a couple of weeks ago. I am almost embarrassed to even post these pics on here. All I can say is," I didn't do it." I am just trying to be its saving grace.

I have never owned a MasterCraft before but have always wanted one and I could not pass it up for the price. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me but I have restored many other things just not a ski boat.

If anyone can point me in a direction of where I can find a port side wing window and where I can get the weather stripping at. I think that is the only thing that I can't find the rest of the boat is pretty much there just in need of some work.

I talked to a guy that has restored boat finishes for years at MasterCraft in Orlando and he said that he can make this thing shine like new again. Any suggestions?

Also should I remove the top cap of the boat to replace carpet or do I have to? Common sense tells me that It would be easier for carpeting, but I don't know if it would be worth the extra effort just for carpeting.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stuart

glassmaster
01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks Jim I'll send you and email.

Jim@BAWS
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Had an opportunity to speak with Stuart today. Looks like we have the LAST winglet in the world for his 1987 windshield. He is going to be bringing the boat over in the next few weeks to let us see what we can do exterior wise to bring the boat back to a more presentable presentation.

Thanks for you call Stu...look forward to meeting you

Jim@BAWS

PS I have the WINGLET hidden

SkiDog
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Had an opportunity to speak with Stuart today. Looks like we have the LAST winglet in the world for his 1987 windshield. He is going to be bringing the boat over in the next few weeks to let us see what we can do exterior wise to bring the boat back to a more presentable presentation.

Jim@BAWS

Don't do like I do, and hide things for safe keeping then, can't find them when I need it!:D

glassmaster
01-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Jim@BAWS

Thanks Jim
I may just come over sooner than that. I'll have to set something up and I'll let you know.
It was great talking to you

DooSPX
01-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Jim is great!!! let us know when you speak with him....

ColinP
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
it will be a great feeling when you have finished your restoration!

SkiDog
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Yea, whats going on with this project?

glassmaster
03-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Yea, whats going on with this project?

I met up with Jim @ BAWS and picked up a wing window around the end of Jan. It wasn't a portside like I needed but I might be able to make it work.
I have not been doing much due to the weather and another project I had going on when this one came along.
The weather has really sucked here. It has definitely been colder, longer this year then any I can remember from the past. Unfortunately I don't have a big shop and it has been annoyingly windy and cooler here so it makes it difficult to work on anything outside.
When I did get a break in the weather and the other project I managed to put new water hoses, raw water pump, complete Teleflex steering system and replaced the packing material. I did not think I would have enough room to replace the packing material but I guess 1/4 of shaft is all you need.
I also have some strut bushings to put in that has not been done yet.
This past weekend was the first true water test I actually got it off the trailer and drove it for a short while to see what would happen. It had a very bad vibration so I put it back on the trailer and brought it home.
I read on here before that someone had picked up a vibration after buying a new prop and found out in the end that the prop was not seated correctly on the shaft. So I thought I would look at it.
I removed the prop cleaned up the shaft and tried to put it back on. After trying several times I could not get it to seat properly with the key way in. So I gave DooSPX a call and him and his buddy stopped by and managed to get it seated but it wasn't as easy as I thought it should be.
So today I took it for another run and the vibration was gone. Thanks DooSPX that was cool of you guys to stop by like that and help me out.

I also found out for sure today the rudder is bent. :( I kind of suspected it. I didn't know how bad it would affect the control but I know now.
Is it possible to get a rudder straitened or does it have to be replaced?
Also the transmission when I bought the boat had some water in the fluid. I have changed it 2 times now and after today's run (less than 5 min) It is still milky.
Is there a way that the tranny can be flushed completely? Similar to like what they do to recondition car and truck trannys at oil change places.
If the tranny cooler is leaking wouldn't there be an oil slick on the water? Is it possible for the cooler to leak water in to the tranny fluid and not tranny fluid into the water?
Any way that's what happnin.
I hope I can get this other boat project done and concentrate on just the prostar.

DooSPX
03-27-2010, 01:04 AM
You are very welcome buddy. No problem at all. I was going to call you and see if the vibration was gone. Glad it worked for you. Its nice having a best friend that was a boat/ship mechanic for the Navy. LOL
I would think that you have to replace the rudder, but not a 100 percent sure.

BTW, again I was going to call you but my mother ended up going into the hospital so I got a little bit behind on everything.
Would love to come by again and help you out with anything, just have to get some scheduling to mesh.

glassmaster
03-28-2010, 09:26 AM
You are very welcome buddy. No problem at all. I was going to call you and see if the vibration was gone. Glad it worked for you. Its nice having a best friend that was a boat/ship mechanic for the Navy. LOL
I would think that you have to replace the rudder, but not a 100 percent sure.

BTW, again I was going to call you but my mother ended up going into the hospital so I got a little bit behind on everything.
Would love to come by again and help you out with anything, just have to get some scheduling to mesh.

I hope everything works out with your mom and I hope it is nothing serious.
As far as the rudder I was thinking that I could maybe put it in a press with some
heat :rolleyes: and the tranny I don't know.
I have been busy building a website for the last couple of days and today I had some computer issues. I ran malwarebytes anti-malware software to see if there was anything on my computer and there were a couple of trojans, and a worm or 2 found as well as over 60 other infected files.
After running malware and deleting the bad, my laptop is better but it still has issues.
When you get a chance give me a call.

jakethebt
03-28-2010, 10:41 AM
We need some updated photos too...

Cloaked
03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I hope everything works out with your mom and I hope it is nothing serious.
As far as the rudder I was thinking that I could maybe put it in a press with some
heat :rolleyes: and the tranny I don't know.
I have been busy building a website for the last couple of days and today I had some computer issues. I ran malwarebytes anti-malware software to see if there was anything on my computer and there were a couple of trojans, and a worm or 2 found as well as over 60 other infected files.
After running malware and deleting the bad, my laptop is better but it still has issues.
When you get a chance give me a call.Rudder should be replaced. $0.02

glassmaster
05-21-2010, 10:51 PM
I haven't been doing much I have had some physical issues as well as other things going on.
But I have been tinkering when I can.
My last post I went for a test drive and could not help but noticing the rudder was bent and making the boat ride cocked and have some wild steering issues.
It also was very sluggish on acceleration and needed to be timed as well as my concern with water in the tranny fluid.
Fortunately I was able to straighten the rudder in a hydraulic press I put it back on and it steers perfectly, no turning with hands off the wheel. (Pics below)
When I took it out to check the rudder I started to have some serious carb issues and it wouldn't run. The next day I disassembled the carb and it was the definitely the the dirtiest one I have ever seen. I honestly don't know how it ran before.
So I ordered a Holley rebuild kit and while I was waiting for it to show up I soaked it in Gunk carb cleaner for 24 hrs. Put it all back together set the timing and tuned it up.
After changing the tranny fluid and running it 5-10 min changing it again and so on, 4 times now I think I have it all out now. Just to make sure I was not getting any leaking in from the tranny cooler I took it to a radiator shop and had it pressure tested and no leaks.
So today I took it for another drive and it runs awesome!
No tranny, carb or timing issues. It definitely has balls, its very responsive and winds up really quick from idling in gear.
So now that I know it is mechanically sound I am going to start putting some time in to its severely neglected looks and get some use out of it.
I will post pics when I can

DooSPX
05-28-2010, 04:36 PM
glad to hear it bud!!!
Im very happy the boat is coming along.
cant wait for it to be all done some we can hit the lake!

glassmaster
05-28-2010, 08:10 PM
glad to hear it bud!!!
Im very happy the boat is coming along.
cant wait for it to be all done some we can hit the lake!

Its not all done by no means, but I did just get it registered today and and I'll be out there tomorrow morning. Mechanically I think it is running and driving as strong as it is supposed to so I am definitely stoked. I just got the boom set up and adjusted for the wife and kids. Unfortunately I won't be doing anything, do to physical issues but I plan on dragging the wife on a slalom and the kids on the boom.
Can't wait!

americanskierJim
05-28-2010, 09:42 PM
WOW Glassmaster you fixed that rudder good nice and straight again. Hope you have fun on the water tomrrow. I wish I had mine in the lake for tomrrow but I have about 2 more weeks to go with the LTD.

DooSPX
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
which lake you going to hit?

glassmaster
05-28-2010, 11:42 PM
WOW Glassmaster you fixed that rudder good nice and straight again. Hope you have fun on the water tomrrow. I wish I had mine in the lake for tomrrow but I have about 2 more weeks to go with the LTD.

The only thing is you'll be lookin and running good in yours.

which lake you going to hit?

Probably Lake June or Placid. I know they are going to be busy. But we are going to try to go early. Not expecting perfect water for sure more worried about depth after your comment in the weather thread.

DooSPX
05-29-2010, 12:03 AM
I really think you will be good on June. last time I was there I had plenty of dept at the ramp on June but could not even get into Jackson.

joecarew3
06-03-2010, 06:26 PM

oxberger
06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
glassmaster, that's an awesome job you're doing. When do we get to see pictures of it on the water? Have you figured out what you're going to do about the gelcoat?

83SuperSlot
06-05-2010, 01:00 PM
It looks good man. What a great project and it's going to be worth EVERYTHING your putting into it. GREAT JOB!!

:popcorn:

91prostar190
06-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Looks like a labor of love is in order - great project opportunity. In the event you may need a Holly carb kit (Ford 351 / '91 Prostar 190), I just bought one on Memorial Day week ($94.75) only to find out I didn't need it after I opened the cellophane - now unreturnable. Found a speck of trash in the front bowl float seats that had caused my problem. If you can use it, I had rather give you a deal on it rather than letting it sit in my garage for possible future use down he road.

Good luck with your restoration project.