PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

bjackson
12-24-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm new to the forum and have done a search on this topic. I found a couple of articles relating to the Check Engine Light but none were applicable to what I'm experiencing.

The Check Engine Light illuminates when I exceed 1000 RPMs, I'm curious if there is anything specific that is triggering a computer code when it exceeds 1000 RPMs. I can start the engine cold and run it for just a couple of seconds, bring it up to >1000 RPMs and it illuminates so I'm thinking that it is not a temperature issue.

Is it unrealistic for me to be able to download diagnostic software for my engine and hook my laptop up to it to at least obtain the computer codes? I'm completely unfamiliar with that kind of thing and I'm unfamiliar with engines all together. However, I'm anxious to try and fix this as it might be an easy fix.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2001 MasterCraft X-Star, Power Vortec MCX 5.7L

Skipper
12-24-2009, 03:47 PM
If you have a shop nearby they can hook it up to a computer and should be able to get you an answer rik-tik.

JimN
12-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I would first make sure the battery clamps are clean and tight, as well as the ground wires at the rear of the motor.

To find any stored codes, insert a paper clip into pins A and B of the ALDL (Assembly Line Data Link)at the rear of the motor. It will flash 12 three times, which is one flash followed by a short pause and another two flashes. It will follow this with any codes stored.

Gamble
01-08-2010, 12:03 AM
What'd you ever find out???

bjackson
01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Haven't had a chance to do it yet. I've been putting together a to-do list for my boat and that was one of the items. I'll get around to it within the month I'd say.