PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Sander/Buffer

6ballsisall
06-12-2005, 11:46 PM
I want to buy an orbital sander/buffer (air tool not electric) any recommendations on brands you recommend? What size air compressor and PSI is recommended for use on this.

Tom023
06-14-2005, 10:35 AM
You are going to need a pretty big compressor to run a buffer, they use a lot of airflow (CFM) if run continuously for any period of time. I have a modest 5.5HP 30 gallon compressor and it cannot even keep up with my mini polisher (Chicago Pneumatic) which requires 18 CFM running at the recommend 90 psi. I looked up a full sized polisher and it requires 29 CFM. Best thing to do is see what the tool requires for continuous operation and don't go under that when looking for a compressor, but a buffer, along with sand blasters, will be some of the highest air consumption tools. That's why I have a high quality electric buffer and use the mini polisher for tight areas.

http://212.75.80.201/CPAutomotiveSite/Default.asp

JEREMY79
06-14-2005, 11:57 AM
What are your reasons for wanting an air buffer? Viking or Ingersol Rand (sp?) both are good ones. Personally I use a DeWalt electric buffer

pilot02
06-14-2005, 12:55 PM
I'd go electric. Lighter weight and easier to use. As for Orbital, can't recommend any particular brand but I will second the DeWalt electronic speed controlled (constant speed) as I have one and it's awesome!

JEREMY79
06-15-2005, 10:44 PM
I like a variable speed. I like to use my glazes at higher speeds than the compounds.