PDA

View Full Version : Trick skiiers?

dhcomp
06-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Hey ya'll

Anyone still trick ski? I'm 20 and i ski for the UC Davis team, and am getting back into trick skiing, cause its a great way to earn points at tournaments.

I'm looking for old school trick ski videos, anyone have them?

I've got a few good ppl coaching me, but during the summer i will be on my own for the most part....

Todd Brosius
06-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Ya - I'm a trick skier at age 38. I really enjoy it. I've just been teaching myself so sorry I can't help with the video department, but it's nice to hear others trick skiing. I start on two then realized there's only so much you can do so the past several years I'm single trick skiing.

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 07:48 PM
I am still on 2 skis, but am probably going to be on one by the end of the season.

boatwake
06-15-2005, 09:02 PM
I just ordered a trick ski :D . I can't wait to give it try. I have been skiing, boarding, and surfing for years, but have never tried a trick ski. I'm sure it will be worth a few laughs!

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Did you order combo trickers or a single? I found it was much easier learning the combo tricks, then working into the single.

Cloaked
06-15-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm still tricking on one ski. I learned years ago from friends that were into tricking, long before the ironing boards came along... Nothing wrong with wakeboarding but I swear I'd love to see them doing tricking the way it once was done. :steering:

If I find a video I'll PM you. Be patient, use a release for toe tricks and spend your time on one ski. It's much easier than two, as the extra ski just gets in the way for me. Feel the handle when passing it.. You'll be much better balanced than "reaching for it." Head up, look at the horizon and lots of practice. Enjoy!!! :steering:

Barefooting is still my fav though. I did a beach start a while back on an long stretch of beach... flipped out everyone there when I went sliding past them on my rear (some damm dog yapping and chasing me too) and footed away... :D I have pics somewhere close by...

erkoehler
06-15-2005, 11:37 PM
That is quite the teaser there Sporty, where are the pics????

Cloaked
06-16-2005, 12:01 AM
That is quite the teaser there Sporty, where are the pics????You were just the man I had in mind with the tease too... :D :D

I knew you'd jump on it..... :D

I'll post them tomorrow evening if that's OK? I have several in sequence of the beach start.... Man is that ever fun too. As for deepwaters... forget it. I have inhaled an entire lake doing deep fronts.... Not worth the nose enema, even with my head tucked....

Stepping off is still my fav. It's just easy all around... and easy to learn too. The trick to successfully stepping off is in the front-foot knee.

erkoehler
06-16-2005, 12:07 AM
I'll wait till tomorrow for the photos.

ski_king
06-16-2005, 12:09 AM
I still get my trick ski out at least once a year, just for the fun of it.
I don't have any videos, but do have a few magazine articles somewhere around here.

peason
06-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Sporty, speaking of step offs. What is the secret? I've had quite a few crashes stepping off - I think I rush it too mcuh when I take my foot out and step down to plant it.
I'm pretty accomplished at deeps and starting off the knee board, but for some reason step offs make me nervous.

peason
06-16-2005, 08:38 AM
How do you guys start on one trick ski? I tried early last summer with one foot in and the ski took off and I pulled my hamstring pretty good.
Do you star with both feet in the binding?

Evan Jones
06-16-2005, 08:43 AM
You were just the man I had in mind with the tease too... :D :D

I knew you'd jump on it..... :D

I'll post them tomorrow evening if that's OK? I have several in sequence of the beach start.... Man is that ever fun too. As for deepwaters... forget it. I have inhaled an entire lake doing deep fronts.... Not worth the nose enema, even with my head tucked....

Stepping off is still my fav. It's just easy all around... and easy to learn too. The trick to successfully stepping off is in the front-foot knee.

How about Jump-Outs? I used to do them for shows. Painful to learn but fun once you get them. Take the rear bindings off some combos and slide your foor out a little once you're up. Then keeping the skis together, jump up a little, and spread the feet outside the skis. Viola! you're barefooting.

sizzler
06-16-2005, 08:48 AM
one of my fave starts in footin........newbies in the boat just dont get it when the driver increases speed and the lunatic on the back jumps clean out...... :D

boatwake
06-16-2005, 10:29 AM
I ordered a single trick ski. There doesn't appear to be too much information available on getting started for new users. I found one link (http://www.robertsski.com/webpgws/trickskisingle.htm). The author covers some interesting points, but as usual it's just enough information to get me craving more. Does anyone know the average course speed for trick skiing?

erkoehler
06-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Depends on your weight, an preferance. I combo trick at 22-24 depending on the water. Single at 20-22. Also depends on the driver. If you are going to fast, you will have absolutely no control.

betsy&david Harrison
06-16-2005, 12:04 PM
How do you guys start on one trick ski? I tried early last summer with one foot in and the ski took off and I pulled my hamstring pretty good.
Do you star with both feet in the binding?
I have to put both feet in to start. Hurt the heck out of my trail leg once and decided to put the rear foot in. B
Did Britt and Tawn Larson ever put a video out?

rodltg2
06-16-2005, 06:34 PM
too fast erkle...

Cloaked
06-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Sporty, speaking of step offs. What is the secret? I've had quite a few crashes stepping off - I think I rush it too mcuh when I take my foot out and step down to plant it.
I'm pretty accomplished at deeps and starting off the knee board, but for some reason step offs make me nervous.Well while I'm not Scarpa, I have been footing a long time. The way I try to teach folks is with a simple but effective visual and demo instruction. First, I don't put my front foot in the binder when getting up. I simply set it on top of the binder, heel placed against the heel-piece. It will stay from the tug of the boat. Since I drag a foot anyway to get up, my rear foot is ready to set down when I so choose (looking for rollers :D)Once I'm up, I like to get a solid 37 - 38 MPH (me at 210 pounds). That works just fine. Too fast and you're skipping on the water. Find a good speed to plant your foot and not have it skipping at 41 - 42 MPH. I get just outside of the wake and set the rear foot down on the water getting ready to step off with the front foot. Here's the trick (and try it yourself tonight at home to see what I'm talking about); Bend the front foot knee (that is still on top of the binder). Bend it extra and while the rear foot is about to plant or possibly may already be on the water). Bending the knee of the front foot will extend the rear foot / leg out forward in front of you. Prior to bending the extra effort, the plant foot is more-or-less "under" you and not in front of you. Bend the front foot knee and you'll see the rear foot go forward, (in lieu of trying to hyperextend the rear leg and only throw you off balance and accomplish nothing). Once you're almost squatting (not literally but in a sense of figure) then plant the rear foot, throw your shoulders back (a slight tug on the rope) and lift (not step) the front foot and set it forward onto the water beside the other foot. At this point the ski is gone. Do all of this in one smooth motion and you'll be good to go. Done deal.

Now what you'll find is that you're probably drowning.. LOL... If so, you know your feet are where they are supposed to be. Leave them there (out in front of you so to speak) and raise your head, shoulders and your upper body upward to breath. This is actually allowing you to develope your balance as you stay up and get out of the spray. It won't be two or three more tries before you're stepping off, standing up out of the spray and enjoying the ride.... Trick is to bend the front foot knee but the "purpose" of this is to get the rear foot out front (and not under) before you plant.

If you're falling forward, the feet are not out front enough. If you're falling backwards, they are too far out.

Peason, I elaborated a bit about balance and spray. I feel certain that you are up out of the spray and smiling while footing but for those that may want to try footing, that's the ticket. You may be rushing it a bit but honestly the smooth motion I described in stepping off is supposed to be a rush!! Just make it smooth and one continuous motion instead of several part motions to get on the water. I think by keeping the front foot on top of the binder it is much much less distracting and less maneauvers compared to getting the foot back out from the binder, out of the heel piece, and then forward to set the foot down. Barefooting is probably one of the easier things to learn in my opinion. I like to wear short pants (jump pants) so I can slide out on my rear when I'm done footing.

Just practice a mental process and you'll learn quickly on the water...

For the lighter guys and gals 34, 35, or 36 MPH is plenty. However I do like a hot speed to foot on one foot.... I do all of this on a long line. Booms are not my thing. Long line footing.... Nothing like it....It's the real thAng :D

Cloaked
06-16-2005, 09:15 PM
For trick (and slalom) I drag a foot. Just learned that way. For a good trick start, your driver will be an important factor. I like a hard tug to get on top of the water but then the driver needs to back off and allow me to keep control of the ski. I usually ask for a slalom pull to get up but quickly want to be plained at about 23 MPH on a single. Just enough to allow the ski to track, stay on the water and not bogged down dragging in the water. Then it's toe time...