PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Cracked

SKI*MC
06-12-2005, 10:26 PM
This weekend wasn't a good one. :( I worked on my yard up north all weekend, and when i finnaly had time to have a pull, the boat didnt work. As soon as the boat was put into gear and under load, it started missing and back firing. When we got it back to shore, we discovered a cracked distributor rotor. Easy fix is what you might think. Not on a Saterday at 4:30 in the afternoon. There was one place that was open, and they said they had the part, but what they say and what they have, and what we need are totally different things. Has anyone else had an engine problem like this happen to them? We are now going to put an electronic ignition in, we are tired of this crapola.

ski_king
06-12-2005, 11:01 PM
I had a cracked cap once, I can feel your pain. I got lucky as I managed to hunt down someone who happened to have a used spare with them. I now make sure mine gets replaced every other year.

I replaced the points with electronic long ago, also have a used 2 year old spare cap and rotor under the seat with a few other spare parts, just in case.

SKI*MC
06-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Smart Man!

SKI*MC
06-15-2005, 09:54 PM
OK, new problem!!! We just dropped in an electronic ignition, new rotor, and new coil. The engine will start but runs like crap! Sometimes the engine will turn over after we turn the key back when it wont start. The times it will start, it is a weak respaonce at the throtle. It doesnt seem to respond to the throttle moving, i dont think its in the cable, its in the engine. Any suggestions!? I need any and all of them you have!!!

SKI*MC
06-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Got and tips.... PLEASE!

jimmer2880
06-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Sorry - don't have any suggestions here other than.... If I remember my conversion correctly, there was a gap that needed to be maintained inside the cap, between a collar that went over the rotor shaft & a pickup. Maybe that's out of whack?