PDA

View Full Version : What did I just see?

ejkjell
12-20-2009, 02:44 AM
So I'm driving home for Xmas holiday today, and somebody merged a nice Mastercraft in front of me today. He had some sort of strange exhaust system hooked up. It took the two exhaust pipes and combined them into one pipe that led right behind the prop.

What does that thing do? Make it quieter? Reduce carbon monoxide for wake-surfing?

smsbrett
12-20-2009, 02:52 AM
it's a Fresh Air Exhaust

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

supposedly does all the things you guessed

Skipper
12-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Too bad it looks so weird.

TallRedRider
12-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I had it on my last boat. It does everything advertised. You can get it in stainless to mitigate some of the wierdness of it.

If I did not have the muffler inside the boat already, I would have on in an instant. And I might get one anyway to just decrease the fumes.

markismm
12-20-2009, 11:21 AM
The fumes and loud noise is what makes a through the hull exhaust so wonderful. Why would you want to reduce these aspects of the Mastercraft experiece. Seriously, the first time I take off from the launch every Spring it puts a smile on my face because of the raspy sound of my exhaust. I certainly understand the whole ecosystem argument, but isn't putting the exhaust directly into the water all of the time actually just as bad for the environment.

vision
12-20-2009, 12:30 PM
FAE was the best stereo upgrade I ever purchased!

Markismm, 1970 called thanking for your continued subscription. :D

Just teasing. I also appreciated the throating sound of my MC. But the boat has became so much more enjoyable with the added quietness of the FAE.

Chicago190
12-20-2009, 12:40 PM
The fumes and loud noise is what makes a through the hull exhaust so wonderful. Why would you want to reduce these aspects of the Mastercraft experiece. Seriously, the first time I take off from the launch every Spring it puts a smile on my face because of the raspy sound of my exhaust. I certainly understand the whole ecosystem argument, but isn't putting the exhaust directly into the water all of the time actually just as bad for the environment.

The concern about carbon monoxide isn't related to the environment, but to reduced carbon monoxide for wakesurfing. By ejecting the exhaust deeper into the water, it doesn't reach the surface until after the surfer has passed.

atlfootr
12-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Too bad it looks so weird.

Not sure why anyone would really care about looks if ...
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/images/ImageGallery.html
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/images/FAE-Rear%20view3-med.jpg

A. It saves lives and B. It's underwater water anyways.
Jus' say'n :rolleyes:

Skipper
12-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Maybe because while you are hauling it down the highway it looks so wierd it would prompt some guy on the Teamtalk to ask what the heck it is...?

Still looks weird.

markismm
12-20-2009, 09:25 PM
The effect Carbon Monoxide has on you when wakeboarding/skiing is overrated. I like to board and ski just long enough until I feel as though I am about to pass out from the CM. It makes the sport/passtime much more interesting. Honestly, however, I cannot imagined the exposure to CM is any greater behind a standard MC exhaust in clean open air 50-75 feet behind the boat than in a city such as Atlanta. Anyhow, not knocking the exhaust system. I am sure its great. I am just saying the sound of my boats exhaust is one of the aspects that makes it so enjoyable. I have been told that the FAE exhaust does create some additional low end torque however. If that is true, then I can see that as a benefit I would not mind. Just my two cents on the whole deal.

markismm
12-20-2009, 09:28 PM
After I posted my last reply, I realized the concern was "wakesurfing" not wakeboarding or waterskiing. Certainly a wakesurfer beign that close to the boat would have more exposure than a boarder or skiier. Anyhow, I would think that the expeosure would be too minimal to really matter. Maybe I am wrong however.

jipster43
12-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I know there was at least one death due to carbonmonoxide poisoning last summer.

JP :)

Jerseydave
12-20-2009, 11:18 PM

You like loud? Try a stock LY6 in an '09 X-star with over 4000# of extra ballast! I was in and behind one last month.......wow! Most people would get tired of the noise.

The fresh air exhaust does make alot of sense for wakesurfers. I can smell the fumes when I'm surfing behind my x-star so I usually fall after 2 mins on purpose. :D
(that's my story and I'm sticking to it) :)

markismm
12-21-2009, 08:33 AM
That shows my ignorance with waksurfing. I have not tried it yet. I pretty much stick to skiing. This is actually the first time I have heard of the potential for CM poisoning while wake surfing. In looking on the net there is actually some debate as to whether or not the concerns for CM poisoning while wake surfing are real. Either way, I'll take your word on the matter to be true. With as few brain cells as I have left, I'll just stick to my loud exhaust and skiing. By the way, what does a FAE typically run - for the standard set up. Just curious. And YES - I do like my exhaust loud njskier - this way I do not have to hear my wife blabbering on.

Skipper
12-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Sure that big tube anchored to the swim platform will not cause any problems with the swim platform brackets, create turbulence in the rooster tail, or handling issues.

Jerseydave
12-21-2009, 04:22 PM
And YES - I do like my exhaust loud njskier - this way I do not have to hear my wife blabbering on.

^good point!

TonyB
02-08-2010, 12:53 PM
From the looks of it, it would appear that full throttle power turns are no longer an option.

Patsfan
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Looks kinda cool. To bad it isn't chromed or stainless. What does it do too the wake?

Vancouver Prostar
03-07-2010, 05:42 PM
A friend of mine had it on his Malibu and he ended up taking it off. The main reason was it really hurts slow speed handling/response.