PDA

View Full Version : My Boat In The Snow... Pics Inside

TEAL98
12-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Just happy it's not my beloved MC! :D While she's in the garage for the winter, my '72 sidewinder sleeps uncovered in the backyard, in need of a major restoration anyways (tree fell on it couple years back). Anyways, I'm bored, snowed in, figured I'd take some pictures. When I get the balls, I'll go outside and measure it:)

TEAL98
12-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Damn, I just noticed that the blue tarp for the 190 is actually laying under the boat folded up... sad thing is, I've been lookin' for that damn thing:o

Double D
12-19-2009, 03:59 PM
If you have a MC, why not just sell the Sidewinder? Then you would never have to worry about it.

atlfootr
12-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Let's see those rott's out there in the snow w/ you, when you go measure !

TEAL98
12-19-2009, 06:54 PM
When I measured earlier it was 15" and still coming down, but it has since probably spit another 3 or 4 on top of that, just depends on where you are I suppose. At the very back of my yard, its probably only 6 or 8 inches, but thats on a peak so when the wind blows, it'll blow everything off. So I can't be too sure as to how accurate it is, but I'll be up late tonight, so I'll measure it then. Anyways, footr you asked for the rotties in the snow, so here ya go:D

TEAL98
12-19-2009, 06:58 PM
And some more of the girlfriend's girl Roxy aka "Ms. Priss" because she thinks she's too good for alot of things:rolleyes:

ProStar190Fan
12-19-2009, 11:48 PM
TEAL,

you gotta put a plow on your yukon, i would have one on mine but have a grill guard instead. seems only appropriate with the amount of snowfall you have.

TEAL98
12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
ProStar - I have considered it but never thought too much about it, because we hardly ever get a good snowfall. The last good one we got was back in '03 and the one before that, was the blizzard of '96 or sometime thereabout. They say this year is supposed to be a bad winter but they say that every year. BUT, we have had ALOT of rain before this snowfall yesterday, so we might be in for a big one this year

Double D - The Sidewinder is a restoration project I'll probably get around to the year after next. My old man bought it in '77 or so (can't remember exactly when) and holds more of a sentimental value more than anything. I mean the deck is split from the hull at the rubrail about 1/3 of the way down on the starboard side, no carpet, motor in storage, etc. Not that it WOULD ever happen, but the MC would be the first to go before the 'winder.

mayo93prostar
12-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Teal and others, we got about 20 inches of snow where we live near Annapolis, MD and school is closed on Monday because they have not cleared the school parking lots or the sides of the roads enough yet. it is unusual to get this much snow in this area. Merry Christmas to all. Teal, we will have to hook up this summer. I can come drive you. Little bit of a drive but worth it.

atlfootr
12-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks Teal99.

You made my day! Those guys probably luv to be out there in that snow more than you'll know.
Originally born in Germany, rotts thrive in cold weather at least mine does.

TEAL98
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Mayo - Yeah, they were already cancelling events on saturday for monday and tuesday, and only 1/2 of the snowfall had accumulated when they were being announced. Honestly, I loved it. I mean I look at it like if I can't be out on the water, it may as well snow! I'll be dropping mine back in the water sometime in April, as soon as I can de-winterize without having any doubts the temps will drop below freezing.

Atlfootr - LOL, they're clowns when they get out there. I swear, especially my big boy Randy, I think he stayed out there for about an hour and a half with the kids, just messin' around. Roxy (my gf's dog), she's a little priss, doesn't like to get wet or dirty, but she stilll loves to get her nose wet in the snow. However, she'll only stay out for about 30-40 minutes max before she comes back in. The cold weather doesn't seem to bother them much at all, like the mid-summer heat does. Our little pitt on the other hand, doesn't care for the cold too much, however, could spend all day out in the heat if we don't drag her back in to get some water. Crazy dogs:)

acornellier
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't miss the white stuff at all.Havew fun in it!It's in the 50s here to day,a little chilly.no snow.

damaged442
12-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice to see you guys that don't have the white stuff too often finally realize what it's like to live in NY! :D Now I want to see pics of you skiing in it like we do! :eek::woohoo::headbang:

bridomine99
12-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Here is one of ours on the day it came home. It was -24F, yes negative for you Florida boys :)

Luckily blue bird skys for the pull home

ncsone
12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
It was -24F, yes negative for you Florida boys :)

Does anything mechanical even work at that temperature? That is crazy.

TEAL98
12-21-2009, 09:59 PM
bridomine99, NICE!!! You towed that perdy baby home in that weather? Didn't the salt and sand and all that stuff get on the boat? Hopefully you've got a heated garage to wash all that grit and grime off of it... that's a beautiful boat! :) Now you just need to change you tow rig;)

bridomine99
12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I really didn't have a choice in the matter; we saved for 2 years and when we found the right one it was a done deal. Drove from Minneapolis to the Chicago area to pick it up (all night) and we couldn't have been luckier. The cold could have been considered a blessing because EVERYTHING is frozen solid at that temp so you typically get clear blue skys and dry clean roads. The lower half / trailer had a coating of salt dust just from what was coming off of the truck; however it was dry door to door. We pulled it into a local car dealer and gave it a good wash / detail clean and then only had to go a mile or so to my parents garage for the remainder of the winter.

bridomine99
12-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Does anything mechanical even work at that temperature? That is crazy.

With good equipment it is no big deal (like my Ford truck) for the guy above :). However, after a night outside, everything is stiff and it takes a good 15min or so for it to warm up. The biggest thing on my truck is the amp for the stereo freezes up and it will take like 20 min or so for it to warm up enough to come on. I'm not sure what is technically going on, but it is a really great feature when you have a 21 min drive to work.

Jokes aside though...it is tough on stuff. You just have to make sure and let it warm up good before heading out and then take it easy until the engine warms up. They turn over slow on those cold mornings and my power steering pump whines pretty good for about the first 2 min.