PDA

View Full Version : '88 PROSTAR 190 Restoration almost complete

Pushing Tin
12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Since registering on TT September '09, after acquiring '88 PROSTAR 190 as a restoration project, an update of pics of project so far. Two pics show hull on mobile trestle getting a good rub down, last pics showing nearly finished product. Engine has 730hrs, clean and crisp.

Plenty of info and guidance given, and taken, off TT site. So, big up and thank you to all of you for your help and sharing your experiences with me. Plenty of pics taken at various stages of down dressing the hull, then slow progress putting all the bits back!!! You know where I'm coming from. Off for a water test this week end, will post pics of her performing on the water.
Thanks again. Graham.

JUST CHECKED THIS, PROBLEM UPLOADING ALL PICS?! I'll try again.............:confused:

I think I have managed to upload more pics.... apologies for the delay!;)

G-man
12-18-2009, 12:46 PM
looks good in the one shot

Sodar
12-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Looking good!

thatsmrmastercraft
12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Very clean. Keep up the good work.

Skipper
12-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Glad to see a nice project like this. Keep up the good work.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Pushing Tin

Just out of curiosity, where are you located in South Africa and what are the water conditions like in your area?

kiteklan
12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Hello,I am renovating a mastercraft prostar 190 1997 model.
Started with a mistreated hull and without an engine.
I had bought a steyr 236 HP diesel engine with 4200RPM and 2:1 ZF 45 transmission.
Engine weighs 380kg with the transmission.

We built the treyler on our own with Knott axels/parts and I and U profiles.

Please tell me some hints or your opinions.

Jerseydave
12-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Kiteklan, welcome!

Nice job on the trailer, looks like it will carry that boat with ease. Sits a bit high, so you may need a deep ramp and/or a lifted 4X4 truck when launching.

The boat looks like it was left somewhere to die, but thanks to you it will come back to life as a diesel powered prostar.......can't wait to see that happen! 4200 rpm out of a diesel is screeeeming! (with a large prop you may have the fastest prostar on the planet when you're done!)
Keep posting pictures as you go!

Finnsdad
12-28-2009, 08:18 PM
I am excited to find out how it runs with the diesel!

DemolitionMan
12-28-2009, 08:19 PM
I love seeing these boats being brought back to life.

kiteklan
12-30-2009, 02:38 AM
Kiteklan, welcome!

Nice job on the trailer, looks like it will carry that boat with ease. Sits a bit high, so you may need a deep ramp and/or a lifted 4X4 truck when launching.

The boat looks like it was left somewhere to die, but thanks to you it will come back to life as a diesel powered prostar.......can't wait to see that happen! 4200 rpm out of a diesel is screeeeming! (with a large prop you may have the fastest prostar on the planet when you're done!)
Keep posting pictures as you go!

Thanks ,for the comments I have one propeller right now with a diameter 36cm but I guess it will not be enough,my plan is to lunch the boat with this propeller and get the draft and waterline with the engine,I have no idea about its draft and waterline and the total weight that is why ordering a propeller will not be wise without a certain measurement.

I about the trailer you are right ,tires and rims are from one of my old car (1989 Probe GT),I will try to get it lower and adjust the axels to the center of weight when I will finish the boat.

It is not easy to this work in Turkey since original parts are not easy to find and expensive.

kiteklan
12-30-2009, 02:54 AM
I am excited to find out how it runs with the diesel!

I was thinking to use Volkswagen Marine 225 V6 but it was above my budget.Steyr 236 is a light weight and powerfull engine but its dimensions are bigger then orginal mastercraft engines.

Does anyone has an idea how much an orignal mastercraft engine weighs(total weight with transmission? and RPM ,Transmission ratio?

There are more pictures on the my website

http://www.kiteklan.org/photo/albums/mastercraft-renovation

Pushing Tin
12-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Pushing Tin

Just out of curiosity, where are you located in South Africa and what are the water conditions like in your area?

HI, apologies for delay response. I am living in the City of Cape Town, down south of South Africa, the most south westerly tip of Africa. Beautiful coastal city.

Inland flat fresh water is about an hours drive from me. Early morning and late afternoon are better for good skiing conditions, we have a south easterly wind that comes up over the hottest part of the day. Google search a place called 'MOFAM", this is a private water skiing school that I spend time at, it will give an idea of typical conditions that are close to me.

Thanks for inquiring, look at the extra pics I managed to upload. Cheers.:)

kiteklan
12-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Nice job,look neat and original.
Tower?is it custom build or the original one?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-30-2009, 10:04 AM
I was thinking to use Volkswagen Marine 225 V6 but it was above my budget.Steyr 236 is a light weight and powerfull engine but its dimensions are bigger then orginal mastercraft engines.

Does anyone has an idea how much an orignal mastercraft engine weighs(total weight with transmission? and RPM ,Transmission ratio?

There are more pictures on the my website

http://www.kiteklan.org/photo/albums/mastercraft-renovation

The original 351 weighs 525 pounds. I don't have any transmission info, but someone is sure to come along with that info.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-30-2009, 10:08 AM
HI, apologies for delay response. I am living in the City of Cape Town, down south of South Africa, the most south westerly tip of Africa. Beautiful coastal city.

Inland flat fresh water is about an hours drive from me. Early morning and late afternoon are better for good skiing conditions, we have a south easterly wind that comes up over the hottest part of the day. Google search a place called 'MOFAM", this is a private water skiing school that I spend time at, it will give an idea of typical conditions that are close to me.

Thanks for inquiring, look at the extra pics I managed to upload. Cheers.:)

No apologies necessary and thanks for sharing the info. What a beautiful location for skiing. Best of luck with the boat. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

kiteklan
12-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info,it is about 238 kg, is this with the gear box/transmission?
Still Steyr Diesel is 150kg heavier.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Thats engine only. I haven't come up with a weight on the transmission yet. If I do, I will let you know.

kiteklan
01-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Since registering on TT September '09, after acquiring '88 PROSTAR 190 as a restoration project, an update of pics of project so far. Two pics show hull on mobile trestle getting a good rub down, last pics showing nearly finished product. Engine has 730hrs, clean and crisp.

Plenty of info and guidance given, and taken, off TT site. So, big up and thank you to all of you for your help and sharing your experiences with me. Plenty of pics taken at various stages of down dressing the hull, then slow progress putting all the bits back!!! You know where I'm coming from. Off for a water test this week end, will post pics of her performing on the water.
Thanks again. Graham.

JUST CHECKED THIS, PROBLEM UPLOADING ALL PICS?! I'll try again.............:confused:

I think I have managed to upload more pics.... apologies for the delay!;)

I had seen the prictures,finished product is just great.