PDA

View Full Version : Blown Wheel Bearing

Tom023
06-12-2005, 09:02 PM
On the freeway this afternoon, 30 yards in front of me, the wheel bearing on the right rear of a tandem pulling a 22 ft bowrider literally exploded. It sounded like a gunshot, bits of metal went everywhere and the tire, still inflated was rolling down the road behind the trailer. Sparks were flying as what was left of the hub was dragging. The guy did a nice job slowing down and pulling over without further incident, which could have been a real disaster as the traffic was flowing 70+mph. Luckily he had just moved over into the slow lane. I think I'll give mine a good looking over next weekend just to be safe.

I also stopped by the MB Sports dealer in Austin to check out the boats as I had heard good things about them. Let's just say I'll be a life long MC owner.

Footin
06-12-2005, 09:04 PM
I wish I would have looked at mine closer.

Cloaked
06-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Almost as many bearing blowouts (of recent) as there were tire blowouts at Pocono today :D

Definitely a project for one evening this week....

Tom, see Footin's thread in the General Discussion area.... It's catching... :uglyhamme

Tom023
06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Add another one. Just got off the phone with a friend I sold a boat to ten years ago, he lost a wheel bearing in Arkansas on the way back from a lake in Missouri. Luckily he noticed it at a gas station, but the spindle was toast. And with even more luck, a guy who builds trailers was a few blocks away and able to put an new axle on it, with brakes for $250.