PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy new skins

hz900
12-16-2009, 03:14 PM
'92 Prostar 205

I've gotta replace a few of the seat bottoms before next season, they are splitting in the seams. Where can I find replacement skins? It is my understanding that they are discontinued from Mastercraft and I'd like to get the same material and 'tightness' the originals had. I had the back seat bottom done by a local shop and it looks great but the difference in material is obvious to me (they couldn't match it exact), and I don't think it is quite as good of quality either. Thanks.

TMCNo1
12-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Check these places out, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...7&postcount=14 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=646377&postcount=14) and here, http://www.lemarineinteriors.com/ and here http://www.vipercustoms.com/ in Tennessee and here, http://www.copycatcovers.com/ .
(http://www.copycatcovers.com/)

sand2snow22
12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
I have no idea if they are good or not:

http://www.copycatcovers.com/

Sodar
12-16-2009, 06:13 PM
I have no idea if they are good or not:

http://www.copycatcovers.com/

Hell of an idea!

I'd be curious to know how their work is, when someone uses them!

TMCNo1
12-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Very interesting!

BIGBADBLUE
12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I wish it were that easy as they show in the video ... covering my back seat on my 205 was a bear with an original skin from MC.

I like the concept though ... I would like to hear from MC people that have used them.

95prostar
12-16-2009, 10:10 PM
very interesting. i just filled out the form for a quote. curious about price.

sand2snow22
12-16-2009, 11:02 PM

Let us know what price you are quoted.......

Mag_Red
12-16-2009, 11:11 PM
yeah me too! I have a slight upholstery problem:rolleyes:

Mag_Red
12-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Just sent pics of my interior.........I'll let you know what the quote is

Patsfan
12-20-2009, 08:12 PM
I will be surprised if someone can take old shrunk skins and remake them to fit as well as a custom job.
Jim the upholstery man and Leading Edge still do the best work i've seen.

Jorski
12-21-2009, 02:33 PM
That is the same way that Jim the upholstery guy does it.

Don't see why taking apart the old skins and using the pieces as a pattern wouldn't work.

pram
12-21-2009, 05:56 PM
You know what I find curious is that Mastercraft no longer has skins for the older boats.

WHYNOT??

Are the patterns not readily available to them?

Is the material not readily available to them?

Are they not always looking for some way to expand business and maintain customer satisfaction?

Seems to me that they should offer complete skin sets, pre-order, pre-pay in the colors that you want.

I know the local boat company here has gone into the interior making business no matter what make of boat you have

Just doesn't make sense that they DISCONTINUED OLDER SKINS for no reason that I can see other then lack of foresight

justinglow
12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
You know what I find curious is that Mastercraft no longer has skins for the older boats.

WHYNOT??

Are they not always looking for some way to expand business and maintain customer satisfaction?

Seems to me that they should offer complete skin sets, pre-order, pre-pay in the colors that you want.

I know the local boat company here has gone into the interior making business no matter what make of boat you have

Just doesn't make sense that they DISCONTINUED OLDER SKINS for no reason that I can see other then lack of foresight

Makes sense to me Pram. They could also be putting people to work and making more money. Look how many times people ask for replacement skins on here. Seems like a no brainer.

FrankSchwab
12-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, but the cynic in me says that an older boat with bad vinyl makes a new boat look like a better deal...and MC makes a lot more money on a new boat than an old one. So, providing significant support to 10+ year old boats (skins, decals, whatever) means more people will be happy with a boat like mine, and not feel the need to buy a new one.

/frank

TMCNo1
12-22-2009, 08:30 AM

WHYNOT??

Several years ago MC set up a replacement upholstery department up in the parts/engineering building that also did warranty replacement pieces too to take that chore out of the assembly building and help streamline production. It only lasted about 6 years because there wasn't enough demand for replacement skins to warrant keeping those persons employed, stocking large amounts of material to cover every boat ever built that they had very little demand for and taking up valuable space that could be used for the growing amounts of spare and replacement parts. It's not much different from the automotive industry, they have their dealers sub all the upholstery and carpet warranty and replacement work out to local shops.

jasonba1
12-22-2009, 10:19 AM
denny at the mastercraft plant is now recommending linda and Jim at viper customs for older skins

Jim@BAWS
12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Makes sense to me Pram. They could also be putting people to work and making more money. Look how many times people ask for replacement skins on here. Seems like a no brainer.

Asking and purchasing are 2 different things !!!

There really is no reason to discuss this subject. It has been beat to death. MC no longer has the patterns. Someone close to the factory does and they seem to do a pretty good job. So there is a source just not from MC direct.

We can question MC all day long about what they do and how they do it. When it comes down to it, it is there decision.

Jim@BAWS

TEAL98
12-26-2009, 02:10 PM

There really is no reason to discuss this subject. It has been beat to death. MC no longer has the patterns. Someone close to the factory does and they seem to do a pretty good job. So there is a source just not from MC direct.

We can question MC all day long about what they do and how they do it. When it comes down to it, it is there decision.

Jim@BAWS

LOL, couldn't have said it better myself!

Patsfan
12-26-2009, 08:53 PM
For the record Jim has done upholstery long enough that he has reupholstered enough MC's that he has made good patterns for many models. He rarely uses the old covers.
As for MC as mentioned before, can you imagine how many square feet it would take to inventory vinyl for the last 10 years let alone further back and how many patterns they would have to keep. The logistics would be crazy.
We are better off letting MC focus on building hot new boats and letting the
Leading Edges,Jim the upholstery man,Viper and other custom shops do what the do best.
Happy New Year!

jasonba1
12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
well said patsfan

CantRepeat
12-31-2009, 09:26 AM
For the record Jim has done upholstery long enough that he has reupholstered enough MC's that he has made good patterns for many models. He rarely uses the old covers.
As for MC as mentioned before, can you imagine how many square feet it would take to inventory vinyl for the last 10 years let alone further back and how many patterns they would have to keep. The logistics would be crazy.
We are better off letting MC focus on building hot new boats and letting the
Leading Edge,Jim the upholstery man,Viper and other custom shops do what the do best.
Happy New Year!

They redid my boat and it was a pretty good job.

JohnE
12-31-2009, 10:05 AM

Jim@BAWS

How about contact info for that source????

TMCNo1
01-01-2010, 10:27 AM

I bet it's one of these three places, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...7&postcount=14 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=646377&postcount=14) and here, http://www.lemarineinteriors.com/contact.html and here http://www.vipercustoms.com/ in Tennessee.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.:rolleyes:

ksdaoski
01-01-2010, 11:24 AM
so are you just mailing/shipping your seats to this guy? Not everyone is driving distance away-

Cloaked
01-01-2010, 11:32 AM
so are you just mailing/shipping your seats to this guy? Not everyone is driving distance away-Viper Customs works through shipping as well. The guy does a good job and is expedient in his schedule.

TX.X-30 fan
01-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Viper Customs works through shipping as well. The guy does a good job and is expedient in his schedule.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sodar
01-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think you are messing up between Jim F. (Atlfootr's Guy) and Viper Customs. Jim takes a while, while Viper is very efficient.

TX.X-30 fan
01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
I think you are messing up between Jim F. (Atlfootr's Guy) and Viper Customs. Jim takes a while, while Viper is very efficient.

I have tears now....................................

Did you know yellow 78 does not like me?? I am verklempt too :D

TMCNo1
01-01-2010, 05:47 PM
I have tears now....................................

Did you know yellow 78 does not like me?? I am verklempt too :D

That's OK, a shot of penicillin should wipe it right out and the farm animals will never know you had a ATD!:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
That's OK, a shot of penicillin should wipe it right out and the farm animals will never know you had a ATD!:rolleyes:

Hey #1 I had an STD not an ATD damnit. :D

pram
01-02-2010, 02:25 AM
Several years ago MC set up a replacement upholstery department up in the parts/engineering building that also did warranty replacement pieces too to take that chore out of the assembly building and help streamline production. It only lasted about 6 years because there wasn't enough demand for replacement skins to warrant keeping those persons employed, stocking large amounts of material to cover every boat ever built that they had very little demand for and taking up valuable space that could be used for the growing amounts of spare and replacement parts. It's not much different from the automotive industry, they have their dealers sub all the upholstery and carpet warranty and replacement work out to local shops.

Thanks for the other side of the question.

TX.X-30 fan
01-02-2010, 02:30 AM
I don't like your avatar prambold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SRussell
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
When I dropped my boat off for witerization and storage I asked about new skins (89 TS 220) and he said that they knew of a guy who made them and they were really close to original looking. Didn't ask details but I plan to in the spring. Call Rambo Marine in AL and ask them.

Mr_Woodcock
01-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Just got a quote for all skins for my 1990 ProStar 190 from Copycats. They quotes $950, but have a special that if you book by Januayr 29th you get $125 off. $825 isnt bad at all!

95prostar
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
just got my quote after my second e-mail to them. got an immediate e-mail and phone call from them. said they had some issues but everything is good now. $995 for my 95 190. hmmm. i am pretty sure i can get this done locally for a grand and i dont have to be involved in removal/install. i might be wrong.

cbryan70
01-30-2010, 10:16 PM
just got my quote after my second e-mail to them. got an immediate e-mail and phone call from them. said they had some issues but everything is good now. $995 for my 95 190. hmmm. i am pretty sure i can get this done locally for a grand and i dont have to be involved in removal/install. i might be wrong.

A full set for 1K would be a HECK of a price especially installed. Would like to see copycats work

95prostar
01-30-2010, 10:21 PM
i can do the install no problem. what is an average price of a interior job for all skins. i have no idea. copycats website obviously shows great pics of completed interiors. i dont know anybody that has actually used them.

cbryan70
01-30-2010, 10:22 PM
2K is cheap I beleive, I think most on here are around 2500 ICBW

justinglow
01-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree with Bryan. On all of the interior work I have had done on boats, if you have a quote for $1K for everything jump on it. That is cheap.

mallees
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Has anyone used them? I would be interested to hear about the quality of the vinyl they use as well as the quality of their workmanship.

5280Hawk
02-18-2010, 08:46 PM
If my qoute i just submitted for is anywhere near $1000, I'm doing it!

The local denver shop that the MC dealer sent me too, said $3500 to $4000!!! That is installed though.

5280Hawk
02-26-2010, 12:03 AM
$1460 for a complete set of new skins. I put my deposit dow today! I hope to start pulling vinyl this weekend. Ill keep this thread posted.

atlfootr
02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
There's only one place to buy skins.
I've only posted it on here a million times, excuse me ... A MILLION and ONE TIMES now!

Jeffer
02-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a '96 Prostar 190, Copycat quoted me $1395, $300 off if I do it by March 12th (so $1095 for those of us wihtout a calculator). It sounds to me that the discount is pretty regular business practice for them.
My skins aren't torn, just showing age and discoloration, so I think I'll probably do this. They say 4 week leadtime from the time they get them in-house, and I can pick colors off their website and change the colors of the existing pattern, it's more if I want to change the pattern. So if I do this, I'll document the process with pictures and provide some feedback.

Patsfan
02-28-2010, 12:02 AM
For you that are in te south east Leading Edge has reupholstered a 2004 ProStar for around $1,600 and that was in there shop taking things out and putting it back together. They feel that is the best way to get it right. Check them out. www.lemarineinteriors.com

MC76restore
03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
I have a '96 Prostar 190, Copycat quoted me $1395, $300 off if I do it by March 12th (so $1095 for those of us wihtout a calculator). It sounds to me that the discount is pretty regular business practice for them.
My skins aren't torn, just showing age and discoloration, so I think I'll probably do this. They say 4 week leadtime from the time they get them in-house, and I can pick colors off their website and change the colors of the existing pattern, it's more if I want to change the pattern. So if I do this, I'll document the process with pictures and provide some feedback.

i talked to copycat a few weeks ago and no discount was offered. but they quoted $350 for my drivers seat and observers seat (76 MC ss) maybe they didnt offer a discount because its a small order. but those are the only covered things in my boat. haha.

i havnt decided yet, but i think my co-workers dad will do them for cheaper or the same price and replace the wood and foam as well. and then i dont have to do anything but put them back into the boat. :)

atlfootr
04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I think you are messing up between Jim F. (Atlfootr's Guy) and Viper Customs.
Jim takes a while, while Viper is very efficient.Contrary to what others may say about Jim, IMHO
he's efficient as hell at least for those of us on this board that have used him and his prices CAN'T be beat!

Ask tph for starters. :D

mallees
04-20-2010, 10:14 PM
$1460 for a complete set of new skins. I put my deposit dow today! I hope to start pulling vinyl this weekend. Ill keep this thread posted.

Any news yet on the quality from these guys.

Jeffer
05-05-2010, 10:31 PM
My skins are with Copycat as we speak, I will definitely post when they come back along with pictures of the skins prior to install, and installed.
I changed colors on the order, but kept the same patterns. So along with the skins, I'm also working on the carpeting, which I also am changing, and I'll post pictures and feedback on that project as well.

Stay tuned, all! I'll give you the straight poop on my experience. So far, I had some challenges since the rep I worked with on the original quotes left the company, but after some dialong they stepped up and addressed the issue to my satisfaction. So - so far, so good on teh customer experience. They got to Florida around April 12th.

I'm posting a "before" picture here. You cn see that my current skins aren't torn, just showing age. The carpet, though, is pretty bad since it's thin and worn in places. A tthe same time 9thansk for the postings on these issues, guys) I'm also replacing the rear seat base with wood, as well as the rear floor area behind the engine cowling, since it's spongy.

hz900
05-06-2010, 12:59 PM
So can anyone tell me where I can buy just the vinyl itself that matches the original. I've got someone in town that does excellent work to make the skin but she doesn't have the exact match on the vinyl though.

Jorski
05-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Don't think that you are likely to find it.

hz900
05-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Don't think that you are likely to find it.

Why not. I figure if all these places are making replacement skins they have to get the vinyl from somewhere.

5280Hawk
05-06-2010, 03:19 PM
I think he meant the exact material used. The stuff my new skins are being made from is called Nautolex marine vinyl, its not the original material, but a close match and very well regarded for durability.

Im sure you could find it in Rolls, maybe from Upholstery supply shops or something like that

Jorski
05-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Why not. I figure if all these places are making replacement skins they have to get the vinyl from somewhere.

I don't think that the exact vinyl is made anymore. The guys that make replacement skins use stuff that is very similar, and look like the originals when an entire set is replaced.

Even if you could get the exact fabric, it may not match perfectly anyhow, as it would likely be from a different dye lot.

hz900
05-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think that the exact vinyl is made anymore. The guys that make replacement skins use stuff that is very similar, and look like the originals when an entire set is replaced.

Even if you could get the exact fabric, it may not match perfectly anyhow, as it would likely be from a different dye lot.

I'm mainly looking for the same texture. The same shop did my back bench but it is not the same texture and feeling. Its shinier and feels more plasticky, if thats even a word. The pattern and job she did was great, but that was the only Marine grade vinyl they carried.

I'll have to check out the Nautolex stuff. Thanks.

5280Hawk
06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I have an Update! Copycat cover is almost done with my new vinyl, and I have Photos for you guys!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/brazharris/mastercraft%20restoration%20photos/DSC01793.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/brazharris/mastercraft%20restoration%20photos/DSC01843.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/brazharris/mastercraft%20restoration%20photos/DSC01795.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/brazharris/mastercraft%20restoration%20photos/DSC01798.jpg

They are sending the entire set back, aad i should see them by Friday this week. I'll post up some more photos, after i get them and can see them up close.

5280Hawk
06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Couple more -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/brazharris/mastercraft%20restoration%20photos/DSC01796.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/brazharris/mastercraft%20restoration%20photos/DSC01841.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/brazharris/mastercraft%20restoration%20photos/DSC01797.jpg

91prostar
06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
What is the cost difference in copycat and say a local shop? Just curious, I have to do mine soon, nevermind I just saw it in this thread, looks like a good deal..hope it turns out nice for ya

Wouter
06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Curious to see the end result: keep us posted please

5280Hawk
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I will,

I think I'll start a new Thread this evening, because i have some others looking at the Upholstery stapler thread, and I have re-skinned about half of the pieces so far.