PDA

View Full Version : 01 X Star flow chart (water in center tank)

Smoothie
12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey guys I am getting water some how in my center tank. I can see the distribution box for ballast and trying to figure out why I would be getting water in that tank and how water flows in and out of it.

sand2snow22
12-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Common problem. I have an 05 X2 (same boat) and get water in there. It's water from the bilge. The water comes in through the hole drilled for the ballast line. I'm not sure how they did it in 01, but if you open the hatch, look down on the bottom and towards the engine. You should be able to find the problem. I think this has come up a few times. Might try a search. I thought about caulking around it, but it might not be a good idea if something goes wrong with the ballast system, you would want water to go into the bilge instead of elsewhere.

mallees
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Don't caulk it, there is a drain hole on the floor of the bow, this is designed to take any water from the bow into the centre ski locker. There is a small hole between the locker and the bilge that is supposed to drain the water back. I opened that hole up a bit, as the small hole always seem to clog up with crap.

Smoothie
12-15-2009, 07:30 PM
No the ballast bag is filling. Not the ski locker

nmcjr
12-15-2009, 09:18 PM
From what I have read this is due to water leaking past the yellow impellers. The new green impellers are supposed to fix the issue.

VOLFAN
12-15-2009, 09:46 PM
this should be the layout...

I would make the swap over to the green impellers first and see if that is the fix.

sand2snow22
12-15-2009, 11:25 PM
No the ballast bag is filling. Not the ski locker

Ah, I had that problem, too. Switched to the green impeller and raised the ballast line above the water line. This worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, you might need a check valve. Good luck.

Smoothie
12-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Black green blue purple these damn impellars are a joke hahaha. Thanks man what do you mean by raising the ballast line above the water line?

sand2snow22
12-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Black green blue purple these damn impellars are a joke hahaha. Thanks man what do you mean by raising the ballast line above the water line?

Open your engine compartment and find the ballast line that goes to the front. It should have some play. Raise it up above the waterline and zip tie it to something metal. IIRC if the ballast line is below the water line, water will siphon itself into the bag. If this doesn't solve your problem, you need a check valve somewhere.

xbrdr1
12-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I have an 01 also. Is your problem due to the fact that you did not close you center tank ballast valve? Which is located on the starboard side stern. Flip open the starboard hatch and look down and back... should see the red flow-rite valves... if still stock.

Jim@BAWS
12-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Mark Please...cmon

The original impellars where black, Then MC upgraded to yellow which worked great
Now the GREEN ones are the standard. Each one works better than the other

Jim@BAWS

helton333
12-16-2009, 04:28 PM
That's what Tiger said.

Smoothie
12-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Jim I was joking (sensative) I always find it funny how people argue which impellers are better than the next. It is a JOKE. People going back to the black ones etc. I will say I cannot believe that a company such as MC has not come up with a better way to fill and empty a ballast tank but maybe there is no better way. Not sure why more people have not looked at the way MB Sports ballast works I am sure there are pros and cons there. Either way my center bag is filling up without the pump doing it. Just trying to trouble shoot it myself with some help from my fellow MC owners.

VOLFAN
12-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Jim I was joking (sensative) I always find it funny how people argue which impellers are better than the next. It is a JOKE. People going back to the black ones etc. I will say I cannot believe that a company such as MC has not come up with a better way to fill and empty a ballast tank but maybe there is no better way. Not sure why more people have not looked at the way MB Sports ballast works I am sure there are pros and cons there. Either way my center bag is filling up without the pump doing it. Just trying to trouble shoot it myself with some help from my fellow MC owners.

people have not got a chance to use the MB ballast setup much due to their boat being broke down for other reasons

Smoothie
12-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Don't own an MB nor would I, however that system seems interesting. If it works as well as they claim then why the hell would MC and others not consider it? There has to be a better way to get water in the boat besides impellers that burn up and pumps that burn up. My only point.

Back to figuring out why my center tank is filling is it possible that when the bilge kicks in it could be forcing water back into the center sack.

Love my boat and Jim too. Need some Larrys Deli. Next time I will buy.

M

Jim@BAWS
12-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Love my boat and Jim too. Need some Larrys Deli. Next time I will buy.

M

Christmas sandwiches for everyone

nmcjr
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
A friend has a Calabria with a similar system, but his is not nearly the capacity of the MB, so he adds sacks on top of it, but it is a great idea, I agree. I think one downside is that to get the weighting even you have to run full balast, but to me that is not a huge downside, but you lose a little flexibility.

Anyway, back to your question, I am 99% certain the bilge pump is not connected to the ballast system. I have tried the green impellers and it seems to me they fill a little faster and I did have the same problem with my center ballast filling with the yellow ones. Now, that said, since I have gone to the green impellers, I have never taken the boat out and not filled the center so I can't say that it fixed the issue for me. However, I have seen several posts from others who have indicated that it did. So, I would recommend starting there.