PDA

View Full Version : Eye Glasses

RickDV
06-12-2005, 05:02 PM
So what do folks do about eye glasses when skiing? If I take mine off I can't see worth a hoot. If I use a sports strap and leave them on I can see better, but I tend not to ski as aggressively (for fear of a bad spill and losing my glasses.)

I am considering prescription eye goggles and thought I would check to see what others do. What works? What doesn't?

Leroy
06-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Contacts. I used to wear swim goggles with the contacts, but got to where I could keep my eyes mostly closed getting up.

I would love to get the surgery, maybe in a year or so.

MarkP
06-12-2005, 08:08 PM
See?? Who needs to see..

I just dont use my glasses when skiing..

boatwake
06-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Actually, I'm Boatwake's wife. I'm pretty much blind without my contacts and hate slaloming when I can't see, so I wear cheap sunglasses with a croakie to keep them from falling off, and ski with my contacts on. The cheap sunglasses keep the spray out of my eyes and also reduce the glare. Now, if it would just stop raining in ATL, we could get back on the lake....there was better skiing this February!

Alternatively, you can sometimes find prescription swim goggles (in x50 increments). We found a pair for under $20 a few years ago. They look kinda goofy, but they work.
Karyn

School Skier
06-16-2005, 06:43 PM
My wife used to wear rec specs made her look like a nerd and we all let her know it too, good thing she's a good sport about it.
She had the lasik surgery and all has been great since then. She has no complaints and said she wished they would have had the procedure sooner, that was eight years ago.

jimmer2880
06-16-2005, 08:15 PM
A buddy of mine used to buy the lightest cutting torch glasses he could find, and put a croakie on them. $10.00 sunglasses that were pretty-much bulletproof & splash proof. Worked good for him. Of course, he was legally blind (only had night vision) - so does that even count?

Cloaked
06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Contacts. So far so good.

LakePirate
06-17-2005, 12:41 AM
I was cutting across the wake on the way to the one buoy last weekend and I couldn't see anything. Probably mostly technique. Anyway I wear contacts and bought some of the spex but the dog ate them before they got used. Anybody used these. It would seem that water would mess up just regular sunglases. Spots and what not.

NeilM
06-17-2005, 01:21 AM
Daily wear contacts. I figure that if I lose one, its not a big deal..

sizzler
06-17-2005, 08:44 AM
just follow the boat surely.....?????

:cool:

jimmer2880
06-17-2005, 09:55 AM
I was cutting across the wake on the way to the one buoy last weekend and I couldn't see anything. Probably mostly technique. Anyway I wear contacts and bought some of the spex but the dog ate them before they got used. Anybody used these. It would seem that water would mess up just regular sunglases. Spots and what not.

My ex wife used to wear them. I tried them once. Kind of good. Need to keep rain-x on them though. Very lightweight. She never fell hard, so I don't know how they hold up.

LakePirate
06-17-2005, 10:08 AM
They claim to float and before there were chewed up they looked as if they would be sturdy enough for a fall.

AIRCANX09
06-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I had a brother-in-law come up from ND into Canada for laser surgery. Cheaper up front plus exchange rate. He had only an 8 hour drive, so not too far.

pepi
06-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Before I had laser surgery, I wore a pair of prescription raquetball glasses, lots of padding on the nose, virtually indestructable. I just attached a floating key chain to the strap on the glasses. They fell off many times (I fall alot), but I was always able to retrieve them.

SKI*MC
06-25-2005, 12:17 AM
I like the idea of the goggles, like George Kastanza!!!

hokiecharlie
07-12-2005, 10:01 AM
So what do folks do about eye glasses when skiing? If I take mine off I can't see worth a hoot. If I use a sports strap and leave them on I can see better, but I tend not to ski as aggressively (for fear of a bad spill and losing my glasses.)

I am considering prescription eye goggles and thought I would check to see what others do. What works? What doesn't?
I have had the same problem. After years of frustration and lost glasses, I found the perfect solution. Go to the web site www.sportspex.com. This guy does prescription lenses in goggles that are guranteed to float. Between tubing, boarding, and slalom, I have face planted more than I care to admit, but never lost the goggles. They're always floating nearby when I come up for air. I've had two pairs (needed the second wen Rx changed). It's great to be able to see, and not worry about losing the glasses.