PDA

View Full Version : Tower Update

mwinks22
12-09-2009, 04:20 PM
From older model year (2006) to newer model year (2008+). I know it can be done...has anyone? I have heard stick with the 06' tower but, I like the look of the newer tower much much more. I heard the new brace fixed the wobble problem, on newer towers as well. For mounting would it pan out alright? new holes(I would assume yes)? how much to repair old glass holes? new support brackets under glass? Just would like some input on this as I am thinking about it. If I do so I will be selling my 2006 tower (X2)...What would be a good $$$$ difference (new tower and 2 speakers + 2 lights less value of my tower and 2 speakers + 2 lights) out of pocket to do this?

mwinks22
12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
never mind...Jim at BAWS jsut PM me with details I was looking for. THANK YOU JIM @ Bay Area Watersports!!!!

Thrall
12-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Lotsa work and $$. I spoke with a guy with an 06 X2. Had to replace it, bought it as a repo w/ no tower. Decided to put a 07+ tower on it. New holes, just back one I think. Said tower even with braces flexed more than the 06 style (which isn't that great IMO already). Assuming you can reuse the racks + new speakers with lights is several thousand $$ for one little styling cue. Yeah they look cooler, but what could you do to the boat with the same $$ that had a bigger bang for the buck?
- Flyhigh ballast
- Kickass stereo setup with lights
- Prop
Probably do all that and have some gas money left over.

xstarplease
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Lotsa work and $$. I spoke with a guy with an 06 X2. Had to replace it, bought it as a repo w/ no tower. Decided to put a 07+ tower on it. New holes, just back one I think. Said tower even with braces flexed more than the 06 style (which isn't that great IMO already). Assuming you can reuse the racks + new speakers with lights is several thousand $$ for one little styling cue. Yeah they look cooler, but what could you do to the boat with the same $$ that had a bigger bang for the buck?
- Flyhigh ballast
- Kickass stereo setup with lights
- Prop
Probably do all that and have some gas money left over.

Was this guy out of Texas? Sounds like a guy I talked to about his black/red X-2. Was somewhat interested in the boat, but it was a little out of my price range. I asked him why it had a newer tower on it, and he gave me the same story.

Thrall
12-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Was this guy out of Texas? Sounds like a guy I talked to about his black/red X-2. Was somewhat interested in the boat, but it was a little out of my price range. I asked him why it had a newer tower on it, and he gave me the same story.

I think he was in TX. Boat was bl/red. I called him just to question the difficulty of swapping the tower or back half anyway and he said it was more pain than it's worth and he was out $8-9k with the complete tower, swivel racks and bimini. Not the first one I've heard of missing the tower when repo'd. Wouldn't think there's much of a market for a newer, boat specific tower, like what... 3 people with MS 200's that wished they'd ordered it witha tower?:confused:

xstarplease
12-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't think there's much of a market for a newer, boat specific tower, like what... 3 people with MS 200's that wished they'd ordered it witha tower?:confused:

Yeah, really no market at all for that. Exactly what Jim@BAWS said when I asked him. I thought maybe just the legs of the tower could be swapped relatively inexpensively, but I don't think that is the case. I tried to get some more info on where he bought the boat. I knew it was a repo, and I wanted to look there as well. Some of those repo deals are insane. Once he figured out I wasn't interested in his boat to buy, he quit returning my emails.