PDA

View Full Version : 2002 X Star Speakers

StrangeLuv
12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
The Clarion speakers are worn out on my 2002 X Star. Does anyone have any replacement recommendations? I believe they are 6.5 inch speakers, maybe 5.25.

Thanks

DemolitionMan
12-09-2009, 03:23 PM

l8kebum
12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
definately rock the JL's

dpolen
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I saw a post on Wakeworld that Amazon has Polk DB651's for like $35 right now, I'm not a stereo expert, but I have these speakers in my boat and have been very happy with them.

I'm smart enough to know that these are in a different league than the JL's referenced above.

MasterCraftByDesign
12-09-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_278.htm

corey
12-10-2009, 01:25 PM
You should be able to do an exact fit replacement with either Clarion or JL Audio 6.5's Historically the Clarions were less expensive but I think they are pretty close in price these days. http://marine.jlaudio.com/

Not to promotes my buddies LED rings again but 6.5" rings are in the works so pre-JL Audio boats can roll the LED's too.

Smoothie
12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Should we replace with the component style speaker or just leave the clarion tweeter in and not hooked up and go with the coax JL? Mine are toast too as well as the woofer maybe but MC during that time set up a 6 channel system with a 4 channel amp. Poor design and cheeped out on an amp considering that was the flagship wake boat of its day. The sub is muddy. Curious does anyone know if that sub is in some sort of box like a sub should be or is it just a hollow cavity behind it?

nmcjr
12-10-2009, 06:21 PM
The sub is a free-air, i.e. no box. Also, yours may be blown, mine was. I replaced it with a new 12" sub with a custom box, and man what a difference.

The JL's are great for the cabin area, however for the tower speakers you should consider a horn loaded compression driver (HLCD) speaker such as Bullet or Wet Sounds. This type of speaker is designed to project rather than present sound near to the speaker--think of a stadium speaker. My preference is Bullet, but many also like Wet Sounds. Bullet makes a 6.5 that will fit in your existing cans, but I went with new 7.7's in new cans so I could get more mid out of the speakers. My Bullets are so loud and clear that I have the cabin speakers turned way down so I didn't even feel that I needed to upgrade them, but mine weren't blown.

Another consideration is that HLCD speakers require a lot more power, so if you go that route plan on an amp upgrade, and I would consider the same for the sub. You could probably use the factory 4 channel amp for the cabin speakers and get a new JL HD 4 channel amp for the towers and the sub (bridge two channels for the sub)

brucemac
12-11-2009, 05:39 PM
check out the Polk mm6501 components, they drop in and the tweeters fit in the old clarion tweeter cups. really happy with mine, the new jl 7.7 will not fit in the bow without a spacer and you will have to cut larger holes

nmcjr
12-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Good to know Bruce, and I would agree that the Polk's are another good choice. Do you have a pic of your install? Did you leave the white cups and covers for the white Clarion tweeters? Did you also use the old 6.5" Clarion grills or how did you make it all fit together?

brucemac
12-12-2009, 07:45 PM
used the clarion tweeter cups. you stick a small standard screwdriver and pop the small grill and then the tweater just pops right out. the polk tweeters pressure fit right back in and you leave the clarion tweeter grill off.

not the best pics, but you get the idea. this was was a test fit, before i secured everything.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/750093.jpg
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/750094.jpg

nmcjr
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I like it! Great to know, thanks for the pics. That's all I have left to replace is the cabin speakers and I always stalled out because I couldn't figure out what to do with the tweeter holes.

5280Hawk
12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Another Vote for the JL audios, i have the same boat and had the same problem. Sounds great now!

Smoothie
12-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Hawk did you have to increase the hole size like Bruce Suggested. I have an 01 the speakers on in the vinyl.

Did any of keep the clarion amp? I have no clue how MC ran the speakers its a four channel amp I got under there this weekend and tried to figure it out. They have the sub bridged across two channels and then I guess the 4 speakers running off the other two channels. I have an amp to run a new sub so just wondered if that Clarion amp is good when its run properly one speaker per channel??

Jim@BAWS
12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Hawk did you have to increase the hole size like Bruce Suggested. I have an 01 the speakers on in the vinyl.

Did any of keep the clarion amp? I have no clue how MC ran the speakers its a four channel amp I got under there this weekend and tried to figure it out. They have the sub bridged across two channels and then I guess the 4 speakers running off the other two channels. I have an amp to run a new sub so just wondered if that Clarion amp is good when its run properly one speaker per channel??

You can also purchase then extentions to make the JLs fit like in the current X-1s

Jim@BAWS

5280Hawk
12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
not that i know of. I had a Car toys install everything, but i know they didn't have to cut any fiberglass. The original Amp was also shot, so I had a new Clarion Marine put in. The old clarion covers for the tweeters are still there to cover the small holes.

Smoothie
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Jim what are these extensions you speak of. My speakers are in the actual vinyl and not in the fiberglass. Will it work there without me cutting a bigger hole??

Jim@BAWS
03-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Jim what are these extensions you speak of. My speakers are in the actual vinyl and not in the fiberglass. Will it work there without me cutting a bigger hole??

Answered by email

Jim@BAWS

brucemac
03-17-2010, 05:00 PM
how about posting it up so the rest of us 205V/X-2/X-1 owner's can see please?

thanks

brucemac
03-18-2010, 07:52 PM
or not :rolleyes:

RWB_XSTAR
03-19-2010, 12:20 AM
For the money...the Polk's are a great. Amazon had them for like $39 a pair when I bought. I just replaced my interiors on my '04 XSTAR this winter. If anyone wants pics let me know.

brucemac
03-19-2010, 06:33 AM
For the money...the Polk's are a great. Amazon had them for like $39 a pair when I bought. I just replaced my interiors on my '04 XSTAR this winter. If anyone wants pics let me know.

pics of $39 polks would be sweet.

/edit

....seriously?

RWB_XSTAR
03-19-2010, 08:38 AM
I jumped on this when I saw the thread from wakeworld: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749569&highlight=Polk

They were $39 per pair when I bought this winter. Just looked on Amazon and they are now at $69 per pair, but I'm assuming they can be found again close to that price somewhere. I'll snap a pic or two later today as they look good installed as well.