PDA

View Full Version : Single Malt Scotch

tex
12-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Most you cats know that I'm a Martini guy but I have been thinking about getting into the SMS. I had a lawyer friend drop a nice bottle on me a while back and I have hit it a few times and like it more and more. I know nothing about scotch other than I seem to like Single Malt most. Any suggestions on some good ones that won't force me to downgrade my other activities?

east tx skier
12-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Glenmorangie is pretty good stuff. Do this. Take a sip and work out the flavors you can detect. Then, put a drop of good, clean, filtered water in the scotch. Let a whole lot of saliva build up in your mouth and hold it there. Take a sip. Compare.

Bouyhead
12-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Although it's not my everyday SMS Lagavulin 16 year really gives you a kick if your into a heavy peat- smoke aroma.

bbymgr
12-07-2009, 07:57 AM
I second the Glenmorangie. You can get it in different finishes. I would suggest the Port Wood Finish. It has excellent flavors ranging from Hazelnut to smokey. Don't let your first sip fool you. It will be very dry and oakey, but each sip afterwords will bring different flavors. It is around $60-$70 a bottle.

SkiDog
12-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I've always heard that you don't ENJOY scotch, you tolerate it. Never had it.

MYMC
12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Macallan 18 fine oak...ahh. No water! Neat or with 3 small cubes...great stuff, had a couple Friday night before a perfect steak dinner.:D

87MC owner
12-07-2009, 12:09 PM
If you want to try the Irish version of scotch, try Red Breast 12. I love single malts and was trying out other country's versions of the single malt and came across this. Smooth and enjoyable but no peat just a nice oak finish.

Granite_33
12-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Although it's not my everyday SMS Lagavulin 16 year really gives you a kick if your into a heavy peat- smoke aroma.

If you can get by the peaty smokey aroma, its a nice drink.

I prefer Oban on most occasions.

Although for evenings at home my Chivas 18 yo blend is preferred.

barefoot
12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Macallan 18 fine oak...ahh. No water! Neat or with 3 small cubes...great stuff, had a couple Friday night before a perfect steak dinner.:D

I'm with you on this one. There is no better scotch on the market at this price point. Buy a bottle of 18 for your cocktail parties and a bottle of Macallan 12 for your everyday sipping.

Ric
12-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, it is an internal battle deciding whether to risk the fine macallan sensory beauty with ice cubes

good stuff

east tx skier
12-07-2009, 03:11 PM

When I mentioned water, I suggested a drop of filtered water.

I'm a big fan of ice generally, but it's not the cleanest thing in your freezer.

Try the dropper of very cold filtered water next time for grins. It won't dilute the Scotch as much as three cubes.

If I'm going to really water something down or use ice, I'll just get a blend with ice and some water and squeeze a lemon over it. As sessionable a cocktail as there is IMO. But with the single malt stuff, a touch of cold clean water really opens it up.

bcampbe7
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Wow! You gents put too much thought into this. :D

Pour it, drink it... Give the wife the eye and an hour later you are sleeping (or in Steve's case 5 minutes later). :)

Bouyhead
12-07-2009, 03:55 PM
If you can get by the peaty smokey aroma, its a nice drink.

I prefer Oban on most occasions.

Although for evenings at home my Chivas 18 yo blend is preferred.

Believe it or not my better half loves Lagavulin or anything smokey. It's a little much for me on a regular basis. I'll have to give Oban a spin.

jbfootin
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I have GlenLivet on the counter at home. It is single malt and I believe under $40 at Sam's. I like mine on ice and a little water. I don't use a dropper to make sure I do not get too much, but I am a simple man with simple taste. I am usually just drinking beer, and crack open the Glenlivet if the day was only really good or really bad.:rolleyes:

trickskier
12-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I've always heard that you don't ENJOY scotch, you tolerate it. Never had it.

It's EXCELLENT with dinner and a show.....................:D;)

c_craig
12-07-2009, 08:09 PM

This may possibly be my favorite winter beverage.:D

east tx skier
12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I have GlenLivet on the counter at home. It is single malt and I believe under $40 at Sam's. I like mine on ice and a little water. I don't use a dropper to make sure I do not get too much, but I am a simple man with simple taste. I am usually just drinking beer, and crack open the Glenlivet if the day was only really good or really bad.:rolleyes:

For the record, I'm a beer geek. I probably haven't had Scotch in a year. But it's the only whiskey I enjoy.

trickskier
12-07-2009, 08:56 PM
For the record, I'm a beer geek. I probably haven't had Scotch in a year. But it's the only whiskey I enjoy.

What??? No Cutty??? :rolleyes:

Sledge
12-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Has anyone tried The Balvenie?

Neat, on the rocks or with a splash of water.

east tx skier
12-07-2009, 09:25 PM
What??? No Cutty??? :rolleyes:

It's sort of my go to. But I've had people give me single malt the last two Christmases. Haven't made it through them yet to get back to old reliable, watered down, with lemon.

tex
12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Just cracked open up a 15 year Glenfiddich! I will get back with in a minute!

JohnE
12-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Scotch is probably the only booze I don't like. I'll drink it on occasion, but it just doesn't do it for me. And I've tried a bunch. JW black, Dewars, Cutty, Glenmorangie, Talisker, Glenfiddich, and maybe 6 more that I can't think of right now.

SkiDog
12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Just cracked open up a 15 year Glenfiddich! I will get back with in a minute!

You musta drank too much. Its been a loooooooooooong minute!:D

MYMC
12-08-2009, 10:01 AM
You come to think about I've never been "hung over" from drinking SMS...wonder if that means I need to drink more of it or that it is special? Might need to experiment over the holidays...

Ric
12-08-2009, 10:02 AM
You come to think about I've never been "hung over" from drinking SMS...wonder if that means I need to drink more of it or that it is special? Might need to experiment over the holidays...
I've always thought that it was because we dont get the urge to drink a ton of it... kinda a slow sipping experience.

but let us know how the experiment goes!

east tx skier
12-08-2009, 10:34 AM

Might be those three ice cubes. Depending on how much of the good stuff is around them, they may be enough to keep you from getting dehydrated.

For the beer drinkers, I should also point out that Scotch is the only whiskey distilled from beer.

tex
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Glenmorangie is pretty good stuff. Do this. Take a sip and work out the flavors you can detect. Then, put a drop of good, clean, filtered water in the scotch. Let a whole lot of saliva build up in your mouth and hold it there. Take a sip. Compare.

It was greatness! I always should trust you on affairs of the liver!

east tx skier
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I listened to a podcast with the director of brewing from BJ's restaurants that somehow turned into a how to on tasting single malt Scotch. So I can't take credit for the method.

MYMC
12-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Might be those three ice cubes. Depending on how much of the good stuff is around them, they may be enough to keep you from getting dehydrated.

For the beer drinkers, I should also point out that Scotch is the only whiskey distilled from beer.
Good information...thanks, I knew I liked you...water dropper and all.

east tx skier
12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Good information...thanks, I knew I liked you...water dropper and all.

Stick with me, we'll be fine! :)

tex
12-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I listened to a podcast with the director of brewing from BJ's restaurants that somehow turned into a how to on tasting single malt Scotch. So I can't take credit for the method.

I had heard that method before but you just jogged the brain. I read it and went wow...I remember that! Good Texans think alike! Thanks again!

east tx skier
12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I had heard that method before but you just jogged the brain. I read it and went wow...I remember that! Good Texans think alike! Thanks again!

My pleasure. Good stuff for sure.

tex
12-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I hit it on the rocks last night but I think I like it better at room temp!

Maristar210
12-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Wow! You gents put too much thought into this. :D

Pour it, drink it... Give the wife the eye and an hour later you are sleeping (or in Steve's case 5 minutes later). :)

You gotta drag me into a scotch thread BC?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF aaaagittt about it !~!!!

bcampbe7
12-09-2009, 12:49 PM
You gotta drag me into a scotch thread BC?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF aaaagittt about it !~!!!

How'd you know I was talking about you? Lots of Steves in this World. :D

Maristar210
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
My ears were ringin like the day your dad was questioning the UPS driver.