PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Shifter

CountryRoads304
12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I have an '88 Tristar 351 Indmar. During the summer I had a problem with the shifter getting stuck in full throttle. When it would click into max position it would not come out from that spot. Pretty scary the first time it happened. Luckily I had tools on the boat and was able to disconnect it and manually throttle back to shore.

I took the shifter into my shop and disassembled it, greased everything thoroughly and put it back together. Without reconnecting the throttle cable it would go into and out of full throttle position fine. But when I hook the cable up it still gets stuck in full throttle position. So I put a screw just before the full throttle position to temporarily eliminate the issue. Before I dish out money for a new shifter I'd like to know whether that's the actual problem or not. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but new to the nautical aspect.

I plan on buying a perfect pass for it this off season, being I use the boat mainly for wakeboarding. Don't know if this a factor of any sort.

First post here and any comments, suggestions, or criticisms would be much appreciated :D

Skipper
12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
If the problem only happens when connected to the throttle cable, your problem may well be with the cable, not the shifter. Both your throttle and shifter cable are only good for a few years. I say replace the cable.

CruisinGA
12-06-2009, 07:27 PM
From your description, it sounds like the problem is not with the shifter, but with something downstream, ie the cable or throttle linkage on the boat.

Sorry I don't have more specific suggestions other than checking cable and carb linkage, but that is where I would start. Hopefully someone else will have better help.

Good Luck.

Edit: Didn't see Skipper's post before I coughed this up.

CountryRoads304
12-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Best place to buy a cable?

TMCNo1
12-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Talk to the people here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1121

Skipper
12-07-2009, 08:48 AM
SKIDIM is a great source of parts for your boat. Excellent customer service.

babymoore3
12-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Make sure you don't have any loose screws in the shifter body. When I first got my 88 Tristar the shifter was working its way loose. Some binding was evident but usually more in the in and out of gear than at full throttle.