PDA

View Full Version : True MC Enthusiast!

medicmoose
12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Today I was carrying out the sanding and sealing techniques on my teak swim deck that I learned about in this forum (thank you TMCno1)!

However, let me paint the picture for you. I do not have a heated garage (at the moment) so when I am wet sanding the swim platform I do it outside. Well, I have sanded and sealed the platform 3 times now and have about 3 more rounds to go to make it perfect. I thought this would be the perfect time of year to do this as the boat is now parked for the winter. We are now into December and the weather is starting to take a turn for the worse where we are now seeing some freezing temperatures and today we had a good snow fall going on.

So here I am wearing boots, a down jacket and a toque pouring warm water all over the swim platform and sanding away while it is basically blizzarding all around me...snow falling and snow blowing off the garage roof.

I was sanding the front of the platform and then started working my way to the back. I quickly found that I had to sand away the ice in order to actually sand the surface of the platform. My hands were quickly getting very cold...this is why I used much warmer water than I usually do.

Anyway, as I was doing this task....surely looking fairly pathetic to anyone who may have seen...I thought to myself that I definitely deserve some sort of award as a Mastercraft enthusiast! I'm sure my wife isn't terribly pleased with having the platform stored in our spare bedroom...especially with the stink of the teak sealer when you walk in...but she allows me the privilege of maintaining my hobbies and interests no matter how silly I may look. I've got the best boat and best wife in the world!! :)

Jerseydave
12-05-2009, 06:55 PM
This would be an even better story with some PICS!

I for one applaude your efforts! Altough if it were me I'd lay a tarp down in the spare room and do it there. (or basement if you have one) 8p

Tomorrow I suggest you get back outside and wax your trailer! :D

TMCNo1
12-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Now go ahead admit it, the smell of teak oil is great, especially this time of year!:rolleyes:

You only get a award if you get it sealed w/o the word 'Divorce' included in your final post when it's complete.

Hrkdrivr
12-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Heck, if you got yourself some good insulated waterproof gloves, you could dispense with the warm water and just sand the snow into water for the wet-sand!!

Good for you...my teak is my "big project" for the winter...

JohnE
12-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I've got the best boat and best wife in the world!! :)

Not quite. If you did, she'd be doing the sanding and sealing!:D

JK! Hope it comes out to #1's level.

TMCNo1
12-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Not quite. If you did, she'd be doing the sanding and sealing!:D

JK! Hope it comes out to #1's level.

:uglyhammeBelieve me, the wife won't like the encouragement to do it or to help, I know. Yesterday was our 39th Anniversary and I asked her if she wanted to oil my wood! You should have seen the look she gave me!:rolleyes:

But remember there is no level to be achieved, just that the platform deserves something on it, as little or as much as you want, cause always better than nothing at all.

Jim@BAWS
12-06-2009, 10:46 AM
:uglyhammeBelieve me, the wife won't like the encouragement to do it or to help, I know. Yesterday was our 39th Anniversary and I asked her if she wanted to oil my wood! You should have seen the look she gave me!:rolleyes:

But remember there is no level to be achieved, just that the platform deserves something on it, as little or as much as you want, cause always better than nothing at all.

I have always been told that the best place to store the TEAK PLATFORM is under
you bed in the Master Bedroom. Try that and get back to us

Jim@BAWS

thatsmrmastercraft
12-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Heck, if you got yourself some good insulated waterproof gloves, you could dispense with the warm water and just sand the snow into water for the wet-sand!!

Good for you...my teak is my "big project" for the winter...

I thought everyone north of the Mason-Dixon Line had a few pair of Gore-Tex / Thinsulate gloves.

Hey, why not do the wet sanding in the bath tub? Seems like a perfectly sensible solution to the problem. But, then again, I am divorced.

SkiDog
12-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I have always been told that the best place to store the TEAK PLATFORM is under
you bed in the Master Bedroom. Try that and get back to us

Jim@BAWS

He sleeps with it. I thought everybody knew that!:D:D:D

atlfootr
12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
This would be an even better story with some PICS! :D
Your exactly right 8p

medicmoose
12-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, it may not be the best picture...but you get the idea! Not blizzarding anymore but the results are evident! I hate winter!

Chicago190
12-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Are your tower speakers exposed? Don't they have disconnects so you can store them inside?

medicmoose
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
The speakers do not have a quick disconnect...unfortunately. But they are not exposed, they are shrink wrapped like the rest of the boat...therefore, not packed full of snow. :D

TMCNo1
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
That's what's known as,
Time Payment Plan