PDA

View Full Version : Lesser known parts of the vehicle

Panda Cub
12-04-2009, 01:50 PM
As a PE/Health/Driver Ed teacher, I consider it my job to mess with my students 24/7, and make them constantly wonder if I am joking or serious. I am in the process of planning my Driver Ed curriculum for my students next semester and I am planning a lesson on the lesser known parts of the vehicle. Any suggestions?

All I have is:
knuton valve
blinker fluid
piston return spring
horn volume knob
wiper sharpeners
header lock bushing
interlocking transfer spanners
Door Spanners
O-pipe
clutch belts
exhaust booster
710 Cap

Any funny parts that I can use to mess with my students would be appreciated!

Jesus_Freak
12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Excellent!

Anything from Star Trek (like dilithium crystal chamber), Back to the Future (Flux Capacitor) or Fletch (cannot remember right now, but it was in the airplane mechanic scene) would be good too.

ski_king
12-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Dont foget the Flux Capacitor.

But then again, it they thought the car had a flux capacitor, they may try to hit 88 MPH in the parking lot.

shunra
12-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Muffler Bearings

tex
12-04-2009, 01:59 PM
It's all ball bearings these days

TMCNo1
12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Here's the best place to find your "Special Parts/Supplies", http://www.kalecoauto.com/

The best product on the site is the Seasonal Tire Air, change it every 3000K miles or at the beginning of each season along with the filter.
Everyone knows that temperature can have a great impact in your tire pressure. This is why you absolutely should use the correct air for your tires! For example, your car should usually have the tires set to 32psi. If you are using summer air in the summer, this is fine. However! If you use this summer air in the dead of winter, your may actually only be running at about 22psi! Each can will do one average sized tire. Sold in sets of 1 each.

Panda Cub
12-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Here's the best place to find your "Special Parts", http://www.kalecoauto.com/

My little brother sent me that link, I actually was dying laughing while my students were taking a test!

Hammbone
12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Don't forget the fan belt buckle!

flipper
12-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Can't forget muffler bearing maintenance

flipper
12-04-2009, 04:46 PM
This has gotta be one of the better threads on here in quite some time

Hammbone
12-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Most vehicles on the road today have a loose connection between the seat and the steering wheel.

TMCNo1
12-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Most vehicles on the road today have a loose connection between the seat and the steering wheel.

That's closely related to the loose nut behind the steering wheel.:rolleyes::D

JimN
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
As a PE/Health/Driver Ed teacher, I consider it my job to mess with my students 24/7, and make them constantly wonder if I am joking or serious. I am in the process of planning my Driver Ed curriculum for my students next semester and I am planning a lesson on the lesser known parts of the vehicle. Any suggestions?

All I have is:
knuton valve
blinker fluid
piston return spring
horn volume knob
wiper sharpeners
header lock bushing
interlocking transfer spanners
Door Spanners
O-pipe
clutch belts
exhaust booster
710 Cap

Any funny parts that I can use to mess with my students would be appreciated!

Do me a favor- make sure to teach them to not be A-holes when they drive, teach them that a car or truck doesn't actually stop on a dime and how to estimate the time it will take for the oncoming car to reach their position. Also, throw some cantalopes against a brick wall, to show them what happens when a moving human body hits a stationary object (or vise-versa). Teach the traffic laws and beat safety into their heads- I'm sick of being cut off, merged into, nearly T-Boned/rear-ended/sideswiped and jerked around by kids who are two years out of driver's ed.

Tell them:
Lug nuts are tight when they reach .025" of bolt-stretch.
To make sure they rotate the air in their tires at least annually.
Liquid nitrogen is preferred for inflating their tires.

east tx skier
12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Excellent!

... or Fletch (cannot remember right now, but it was in the airplane mechanic scene) would be good too.

That'd be the "fetzer valve." There are at least seven of them, and they tend to stick. In order to fix it, first, you must prepare it with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads.

Chicago190
12-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I never leave home without a left-handed lug nut wrench.

TMCNo1
12-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Don't forget the Metric and SAE adjustable Crescent wrench.:D

ProStar190Fan
12-04-2009, 08:11 PM
You also need to:

-rotate the steering wheel when needed
-check the rear windshield wiper reservoir

RoverGuy04
12-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I have a feeling that this video should give you some good ideas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuhYd9L_d7w

TEAL98
12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Ok, as alot of you guys think this is funny, listen to this...

So me and my friend Brent were sittin at a lunch table back at the beginning of Spring in 2004 (senior year in HS) and we were talkin' about how we should F with our buddy Kevin. Kevin swore up and down he was a Chevy guy but was a huge mustang freak and talked about fords all the time. Nothing wrong with that, but he kind of got on our nerves and talked about dumb stuff frequently. SO Brent suggests we offer him some advice and that he should stop at autozone because we heard his radiator belt squeeling pulling into the parking lot that morning. He looked puzzled. So I explained to him that it could have been because of the moisture in the air that morning, belt could have been a little damp:rolleyes: Brent asked him about the last time it was changed and he didn't know:confused: So I then went on to ask him if he had changed the air in his tires. He was startin' to catch on I think, so I told him "hey, ya know when you let air out of your tire and it smells like crap? Well that's because you have old air and you need to change it. Same thing with the oil, ya know?!" We go to the parts store later on because Brent needed oil and a filter. COMPLETELY forgetting about everything, we go in, grab the oil and the PF454 filter for his LT1 Z28, go to the counter and the guy is tellin' Kevin ".... I can almost guarantee you your 95 GT doesn't have a radiator belt. I've never heard of such a thing" It took everything we had not to die laughing! We get to my house, I start jacking Brent's camaro up, and Kevin grabs the hose from my pop's air compressor and brings it out to his car. I didn't even see him until I heard Brent say "hey man, *** are you doing?" "I'm changing the air in my tires man" "Dude, we were JOKING!" LMAO, I'm even chuckling right now thinking about it... he left mad and didn't talk to us the next day and a half. GOOD TIMES GOOD TIMES!

LaRue
12-05-2009, 11:13 PM
fletch clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5j4iOjCLWs

the Rockwell Automation clip was hilarious. Used to sell and service AB equipment

flyingskibiker
12-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Our shop and art teachers use to send students around looking for "wood stretchers" and "hole relocators"... A spangler(sp) wrench is a favorite to throw in a convo. And it's real!