PDA

View Full Version : Texas are you winterizing???

HMF007
12-04-2009, 12:49 AM
We are supposed to be getting temperatures in the 20s and 30s this week. Did yall winterized your boats? Is it okay to let the boat sit for a day in those temperatures. It will be in the 50s and 60s next week if not warmer. I usually winterize but I haven't had a chance to do it yet. What do you think?

tex
12-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Where in Texas are you...I'm in FW and mine sets in the garage ready to go!

justinglow
12-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I am in Mckinney and I drain the block just to be safe but it sits in the garage.

skisix@38
12-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm in DFW and mine is ready to go! Sits in the garage and it's not close to cold in there. 31 F this morning outside, 56 in the garage.... I think that just says that my house leaks heat like a sieve....

Skipper
12-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Just across the border in Louisiana. Was going to go skiing Saturday. Expecting snow. Really?

east tx skier
12-04-2009, 12:24 PM
As does mine. It has antifreeze in it. But it's still ready to go.

HMF007
12-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Welll I'm in Austin. The boat usually sits in climate controlled storage but it's on lift right now.

doc
12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
I just wrapped my engine as best I could with an electric blanket. It wont stay cold for long. Ill be skiing next week.

TX.X-30 fan
12-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Welll I'm in Austin. The boat usually sits in climate controlled storage but it's on lift right now.

Got a heat source right below your boat. I have done nothing either, no way to freeze in a barn under 32 for a few hours.

TEAL98
12-04-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm in DFW and mine is ready to go! Sits in the garage and it's not close to cold in there. 31 F this morning outside, 56 in the garage.... I think that just says that my house leaks heat like a sieve....

Energy Star expert right here:D Watcha got? Only 1 or 2 walls common to the garage? A room over the garage? It's very common if you have a room over the garage, to have your insulation NOT pushed up to the subfloor, which leaves an empty pocket for air to move and circulate through. However, if the joist ends and ribbons are insulated, you should have little to worry about. I find it very common to see JE NOT insulated though, and that's a major heat-loss right there. Ok, I just took interest in something on t.v. and now feel like a complete dork/idiot for explaining this on a winterization question thread.:rolleyes:

Anyways, some useless information for all my amigos on here. My boat is in my friend's garage as well right now. He's got his perimeter walls insulated with some OC R-11 (foil-faced, so you know it's old), and only 1 wall that is common with the garage and conditioned space. In the next 2 weeks (before Xmas), I'm going to lay down 7 bags of 30UF24 on the flat ceiling onto drywall from above. After I saw that the exhaust for his dryer leaking some nice hot air into the garage (and onto the transom), I figured it would definately stay warm if insulated the flat (since it's not conditioned space to begin with). Only the best for my MC:cool:

I'm probably a dork and wasting material but I just figured hey, can't hurt might help?:)

~Jon

ncsone
12-04-2009, 11:44 PM
winterized last weekend with anti-freeze. I will sleep better tonight if gets down to the forecasted low of 24.

point1234
12-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Shouldn't the title read

Texas are you shoveling snow???

ahhudgins
12-05-2009, 12:16 AM
You guys are killing me! I'm in Virginia and I winterized a few weeks ago. I won't be behind the boat again until next April. We are supposed to be getting rain/sleet/snow on Saturday.
:(

Thrall
12-05-2009, 12:56 AM
You guys are killing me! I'm in Virginia and I winterized a few weeks ago. I won't be behind the boat again until next April. We are supposed to be getting rain/sleet/snow on Saturday.
:(

Yeah seriously! I winterized 3rd week in Sept and it's 6 deg out right now. -10 by morning.

Miss Rita
12-05-2009, 11:59 AM
FWIW, here in the frozen tundra, temps have been down to 10' at night. Currently it's 20' outside, and my insulated, unheated garage is 40'. It shares one wall with the house. It takes a LOT of cold before my garage is below freezing. I'm amazed that my house leaks that much heat into the garage.

H20BOY
12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I got an Xtreme Heater so no winterization needed. Now I just hope the power does not go out at the storage building.

TEAL98
12-05-2009, 11:07 PM
hudgins, how'd ya like the snow we got? Mid-afternoon we had a little more than 2, and by the time it stopped, I measured just under 5. What'd you get?

Miss Rita - If you're EXTREMELY concerned about air leakage from your garage common wall, take the drywall down on the interrior wall of your house, pull the batts out, and caulk between the drywall and top plate, bottom plate, and studs of every cavity. You could even put something such as hilti foam with this method as well. It's similar to how we perform an energy star airseal prior to fiberglass insulation, if the house is not receiving icynene in the sidewalls. I'm told it reduces leakge around an average of 40%