PDA

View Full Version : OBD2 Scanner

ProStar190Fan
12-03-2009, 12:49 PM
anyone own a scanner and do you reccomend it. Check engine came on just two weeks after yukon went into the dealer for its normal 180k+ service. Looking to get one since it will save time.

Was looking to get a usb cable type since laptop is mounted in the truck as it is. Any help would be awsome.

bcampbe7
12-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I have this one:
www.tekmatetools.com/

Works well for my needs.

Most parts stores will let you use theirs for free too.

EricB
12-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Check out www.autotap.com for Laptop compatable software and cables for OBD 2.

Kevin 89MC
12-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I just picked one up at Costco, $35 I think. Can't remember the name brand. I have yet to plug it in, but couldn't pass up that price. Appears capable of re-setting the codes. I'll report back when I get around to using it, which will be soon, I'm in the process of chasing an EVAP trouble code.
Kevin

FrankSchwab
12-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Last week, I borrowed one from Checker Auto. They charge $200 to your credit card when you take it, and credit it when you return it. The unit was brand new, and would have cost me on the order of $200 if I'd wanted to buy the same level of quality.

I decided not to buy one when I can get one for free. I have a garage full of tools I used a few times, then the technology changed and the tools became obsolete. Figure that in a few years, OBD2 will get replaced by something new, and you'll be screwed, or the manufacturer-specific code in your new car won't get interpreted by your old instrument.

/frank