PDA

View Full Version : Oil drain hose MCX

mallees
12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Ok, I got home from a weekend away, parked the X2 in the driveway and pulled the centre bung to drain out any water that was in the bilge. Woke up Monday morn to find an oil slick under the boat.
After about and hour of climbing around in the rear lockers trying to find where the oil was coming from, I finally found it. Seems that the last time I did an oil change, I forgot to hook the drain hose back up. It had been rubbing on the main pulley and there was a groove worn right through.
It was certainly a relief, as my first thoughts were that I had a blown rear main seal or transmission seal.
My question is, can this hose be replaced without dropping the sump, or do I just do a repair job on the hose? Our season has only just begun over here, so pulling the motor is not really a good option.

Jim@BAWS
12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok, I got home from a weekend away, parked the X2 in the driveway and pulled the centre bung to drain out any water that was in the bilge. Woke up Monday morn to find an oil slick under the boat.
After about and hour of climbing around in the rear lockers trying to find where the oil was coming from, I finally found it. Seems that the last time I did an oil change, I forgot to hook the drain hose back up. It had been rubbing on the main pulley and there was a groove worn right through.
It was certainly a relief, as my first thoughts were that I had a blown rear main seal or transmission seal.
My question is, can this hose be replaced without dropping the sump, or do I just do a repair job on the hose? Our season has only just begun over here, so pulling the motor is not really a good option.

The hose is semi-easily replaced. Unscrew at the oil pan and replace. Be careful not to overtighten as the WHITE teflon gasket could go. If the OIL is already out now is the time.

Jim@BAWS

mallees
12-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, luckily only about 1/2 a litre leaked into the bilge.
I doubt my local dealer will have this part, so I will have to top up the oil and cable tie the hose over to get me out of trouble until my dealer can get the hose in from the States

Jerseydave
12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
As a temporary fix, you could cut the hose where its worn through and install a barbed fitting with clamps. Make sure you hang the hose back in its orig location.

Sodar
12-02-2009, 11:55 PM
The part is a pretty common thing... even down under.

Any marine store should have it.

Thrall
12-03-2009, 09:52 AM
As a temporary fix, you could cut the hose where its worn through and install a barbed fitting with clamps. Make sure you hang the hose back in its orig location.

I'd do that as a permanent fix. $2, 2min and a trip to the hardware store if you don't already have the parts in the garage.